Mpg 23.6 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Mpg 23.6

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #31
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoremkx View Post
OK, Here it is. I bought 14.053 gallons of gas today after driving 323.2 miles. The Jeep says that I have averaged 24.2 MPG and the pencil says 22.9. I have always been good at math but... never better than a computer. Maybe I am slipping in my old age and the Jeep is right?

The total since I bought the Jeep is: 1276 miles @ 24.4 MPG

I still wish I had a bigger tank.
You got it right. Forget the EVIC MPG # other than for an amusement factor to see how much it is off each time. Chrysler is notorious for inaccurate onboard computer MPG #'s. Never go by that. Always hand calculate it for an accurate #.

One of my Rams( 2002 )was routinely 3 MPG+ off. My best Chrysler one was around 1-1.5 MPG off( 1997 Ram ). Now my GM's were always within .5 MPG or less. They have the MPG calculator down pat. Chrylser not so much.

Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post

You got it right. Forget the EVIC MPG # other than for an amusement factor to see how much it is off each time. Chrysler is notorious for inaccurate onboard computer MPG #'s. Never go by that. Always hand calculate it for an accurate #.

One of my Rams( 2002 )was routinely 3 MPG+ off. My best Chrysler one was around 1-1.5 MPG off( 1997 Ram ). Now my GM's were always within .5 MPG or less. They have the MPG calculator down pat. Chrylser not so much.
On my fuelly account I keep track of that. Some tanks it is dead on, some tanks it is 2.5 mpg's high, some tanks it is 1 mpg low. There dpesnt seem to be ajy kind of pattern. That goes for my Ram and wife's Jeep.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #33
SaltilloPunk
2010 WK 

Quote:
OK, Here it is. I bought 14.053 gallons of gas today after driving 323.2 miles. The Jeep says that I have averaged 24.2 MPG and the pencil says 22.9. I have always been good at math but... never better than a computer. Maybe I am slipping in my old age and the Jeep is right?

The total since I bought the Jeep is: 1276 miles @ 24.4 MPG

I still wish I had a bigger tank.
My question to you is if you reset the MPG counter after the recent fill up or any fill up? Or have you left it untouched? If you have not reset it, then the numbers look pretty darn close as the computer is displaying a continual average. Your math for the MPG over 1276 miles proves this out.
SaltilloPunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

There is an A and a B setting on the trip meter. Unless I slip up I plan on not resetting the B side for my average and resetting the A side every time I fill up.

So since the reset from my last fill up the EVIC read 24.2 MPG with 323.2 miles after buying 14.053 gallons of gas.
The B side said 24.4 MPG with 1276.0 miles total.

Does the EVIC take into consideration idling? Winter came early in Chicago so I have been using the auto start when I remember. Not to much but maybe a total of 15 minutes of idling time. I am sure that takes some MPG away from the pencil calculations compared to the EVIC...

I'm not a lead foot but I am also not a 'hyper miler' either. I generally just flow with traffic using the adaptive cruise control.

Speaking of the adaptive cruise. Wow! It sure is kind of spirited. On my old Lincoln it would 'know' traffic was slowing and it would slow too. On the Infinity I test drove the adaptive cruise almost read my mind when traffic slowed. The Jeep is actually scary. There are times that we will still be gassing into stopping traffic and when I have the balls to let it go the Jeep will almost slam on the brakes. I wish there was a way to make the radar see farther. (I wrote this in case Chrysler reads this blog.)
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #35
SaltilloPunk
2010 WK 

The value shown on the EVIC does take the impact of things like idling and stop and go into account. I saw this many times in my WK. I'd reset after topping off and heading out for a trip and the calculated MPG followed hand calculations while in transit. When I hit a bridge crossing that had stop and go for roughly 30 to 45 minutes, the MPG went down accordingly. On the next fill up, the value on the EVIC and the hand calculation matched up pretty close. So it is surprise to see your results not matching.

Counter to other people's comments, I have found the Chrysler MPG values to be pretty accurate unless the reading hasn't been reset in a while. In that case there is too much history to overcome and have the results of a single tank of gas be reflected properly.
SaltilloPunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #36
kgmkgm
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Peer pressure speeding, give me a break!

I cruise at 65 everywhere I go. Speed limits in CO are 75+ so everyone goes 90 but I like my mileage. I take it upon myself to be the SPEED LIMIT ENFORCER! ha ha ha

When I get in my lady's MK4 Golf, I speed like a devil though. That thing loves to go 90+. I still get 30+mpg with it at that speed. NUTS!
kgmkgm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #37
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltilloPunk View Post
The value shown on the EVIC does take the impact of things like idling and stop and go into account. I saw this many times in my WK. I'd reset after topping off and heading out for a trip and the calculated MPG followed hand calculations while in transit. When I hit a bridge crossing that had stop and go for roughly 30 to 45 minutes, the MPG went down accordingly. On the next fill up, the value on the EVIC and the hand calculation matched up pretty close. So it is surprise to see your results not matching.

Counter to other people's comments, I have found the Chrysler MPG values to be pretty accurate unless the reading hasn't been reset in a while. In that case there is too much history to overcome and have the results of a single tank of gas be reflected properly.
I always reset at every fill up so the shown MPG is based on that tank. Never even close in any of the Chrysler products I have owned that have that feature( 6 of them ).
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #38
Zoramac
2014 KL Cherokee 

I did some further testing with mine being out of town for the past few days on a semi-long distance trip. I reset the trip counter every time i was on the highway and also in the city and monitored rpms and gears. Im actually getting better mileage in city driving avg 20-22 when running around town and 18 on the highway. again its due to my trans almost never up-shifting into 8th when on the highway - mostly 7th and occasionally 6th. in the city going 35 it will consistently go to 6th and at 40 will drop to 7th. Ill be scheduling a dealer visit this week as soon as i have a chance.
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #39
4WDHARDWARE
Vendor

2014 KL Cherokee 

Set out on a highway journey with 162 miles on the clock. During the 544 miles down, the KL got 24.5 mpg. On the 544 miles back up, it was 25.4. These calculations were done on paper, not the dash computer. This was also during "break in", so mileage numbers should go up from here....
http://www.4wd.com/
4WDHARDWARE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #40
Homework
2014 KL Cherokee 

We got our cherokee a week ago. It's the limited version with a 3.2L V6 engine, and 4x4. For the first week of my commute, I only got a 14.0 mpg. The route is basically city and residential. It involves with a lot up-and-downs. The place I work is up on a hill, and the place I live is down the hill.

This past weekend, we had two short road trips, roughly 50 miles one-way. It's 30% highway, 50% national park road, and the rest city. The mpg gets to 23.5.

I did some research and found that the fuel-efficiency would eventually improve when you have a few years into your ownership. They said EPA tests cars with at least 5k miles on its odometer. Now, i have 451 miles on my cherokee. It looks to me that I have to live with this low mpg for a couple of years.
Homework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #41
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homework
We got our cherokee a week ago. It's the limited version with a 3.2L V6 engine, and 4x4. For the first week of my commute, I only got a 14.0 mpg. The route is basically city and residential. It involves with a lot up-and-downs. The place I work is up on a hill, and the place I live is down the hill.

This past weekend, we had two short road trips, roughly 50 miles one-way. It's 30% highway, 50% national park road, and the rest city. The mpg gets to 23.5.

I did some research and found that the fuel-efficiency would eventually improve when you have a few years into your ownership. They said EPA tests cars with at least 5k miles on its odometer. Now, i have 451 miles on my cherokee. It looks to me that I have to live with this low mpg for a couple of years.
The average consumer drives 10-15,000 miles a year in the United States.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #42
Homework
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
The average consumer drives 10-15,000 miles a year in the United States.
Fair enough. In my case, it's probably 6000-8000 miles.
Homework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #43
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

Oh well... I guess the thought of 28 MPG is not in my future.

Bought gas today and here are the results;

I traveled 323.1 miles and averaged 23.8 MPG. It took 11:12minutes to do that.
Total is looking like 1599.3 miles at 23.5 MPG
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #44
loveracing1988

Quote:
Oh well... I guess the thought of 28 MPG is not in my future.

Bought gas today and here are the results;

I traveled 323.1 miles and averaged 23.8 MPG. It took 11:12minutes to do that.
Total is looking like 1599.3 miles at 23.5 MPG
I bet once it warms up and it gets broken in more you will see it. Something I forgot about is the awd. On the charger if it is below 40 degrees awd is engaged 100% of the time. If I remember right the Cherokee has something similar.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #45
MBDiesel
2014 WK 

FWIW the EVIC on my WK CRD is consistently pessimistic by 1-2mpg. After a good highway trip, it'll show 22 or 23mpg and hand calcs show 23-25mpg. Now just wait until I get the GDE tune in there and I'll be pushing the upper 20's!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.