Mpg 23.6 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Mpg 23.6

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post

Fortunately the speed limits on most Michigan highways is 70 and in some places 75 so please dont advise driving like a grandma in the right lane well below the speed limit unless you are trying to have me incite road rage in other drivers, why im seeing such bad gas mileage is (i believe) due to a bad trans cal. on rare occasion when im going 70 the trans will upshift to 8th gear and run a little over 1500rpm which actually gives decent gas mileage, however the majority of the time it runs in 7th gear and occasionally 6th which puts the rpms well over 2k, hence a bad calibration, but if the trans uses the same appx gear spacing it should also theoretically be able to run @70-75mph around 1.2-1.3k rpm. now without seeing a dyno of that to know where the actual torque curve is at that rpm it is just speculation, however when in 8th at 1500 it still has plenty of oomph to move so id assume torque at that rpm shouldnt be an issue but that depends on how deep 9th actually is.
and btw, since 2008 the epa tests at speeds up to 80mph in bursts
Where in michigan are the speed limits 75?
I honestly don't think the power is there to run that low of a rpm at those speeds. On my wifes grand cherokee most overpasses cause it to shift into 7th gear going 70 mph. Going 50 you have to baby it to stay in 8th gear. I dont know rhw power to weight ratio but im guessing it is pretty close between the cherokee and grand cherokee v6's.

Btw the mileage on a trailhawk is 17 and 25 according to the wimdow stickers I've seen.

loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post

MI, NJ, TX, et al... everyone thinks their state is the worst and people from other areas just don't understand. I have driven in a lot of states( including MI )and I don't worry about what other driver's are doing as far as speed limits. I worry about myself. Never have been run over or had any problems.

Good luck with it and let us know if you ever figure it out.
Through most parts of michigan you are fine going whatever speed you want. Detroit area is a whole other ball game. That being said though I drive 65 to save a little fuel because I really dont care about what other people think and im in bigger vehicles, if I were in a smart car I would be driving a little different.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
starscream
Registered User
1981 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post
not getting very good mileage with my TH 3.2 so far
manual calculation after 500 miles and 4 fill ups
mixed driving 60/40ish 16.2MPG
did a recent 50+ mile all highway trip: reset each way as i got on the highway, console mileage both ways 22.2 -23.0 MPG 70-75mph
kinda feeling duped by Jeep since they advertised it as 19city, 22 mixed and 27 highway- had better mileage not been part of my requirement i would have gotten a JKU
I'm wanting to see who is getting the opposite of mine to give us the average that is advertised, if not...
Temperature makes a difference for us up north. Over the last two months I've lost a full 2 mpg since the temps went down, and there's lots more winter to go.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #19
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post
unless your on 95 and that 18 wheeler is right on your but.
Been there and done that( in NJ this past Sept no less ). No problem. Just let them pass which they will.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post

Btw the mileage on a trailhawk is 17 and 25 according to the wimdow stickers I've seen.
I missed that he has a TH. That makes a HUGE difference. EPA rating is only 18 City/25 Highway/20 Combined for the 3.2L TH.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=34450

Also, if you read the fine print under the EPA ratings on the window sticker you will see a range of MPG figures shown that the vehicle can fall into based on driving style. That is why I almost always exceed the EPA ratings( i.e. I drive conservatively ).

While the OP is only seeing 16+ combined he is doing more city than highway 60/40 as I recall plus he is driving at 70-75MPH+ on the highway. I can't find what the range of MPG is for the TH 3.2L online. Maybe someone who has one can look at their window sticker and elt us know. Very possible for the OP's driving style and habits his MPG is within range?
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #21
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream View Post
Temperature makes a difference for us up north. Over the last two months I've lost a full 2 mpg since the temps went down, and there's lots more winter to go.
Colder temps + winter bend fuel here = significant MPG loss. I am down 2-3 MPG in my Patriot since the temps dropped and that winter blend fuel crap hit the pumps.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
ourlee
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: flemington, nj
Posts: 137
I'm getting high 20s in my 2.5 cx-5.
__________________
2001 TJ 4.0 auto
ourlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
Zoramac
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Where in michigan are the speed limits 75?
I honestly don't think the power is there to run that low of a rpm at those speeds. On my wifes grand cherokee most overpasses cause it to shift into 7th gear going 70 mph. Going 50 you have to baby it to stay in 8th gear. I dont know rhw power to weight ratio but im guessing it is pretty close between the cherokee and grand cherokee v6's.

Btw the mileage on a trailhawk is 17 and 25 according to the wimdow stickers I've seen.
There is a small strech on (trying to remember) 75 going towards mt holley or was it 96 going towards grand rapids.

but anyway, i made a 120 mile trip all highway this morning, again right around 20mpg, yes going 70-75 and i paid close attention to the rpms, speed and gear the whole trip, >95% of the trip was in 7th gear ~1900 rpm @ 70mph which on the ic calc is right around 19-21mpg, 4% of the trip it was in 6th gear ~2100 rpm @70mph at about 14-16 mpg. only about 1% of the trip did it ever upshift to 8th gear and at 70mph @1500rpm the ic showed about 28-30 mpg. but of course the trans would bounce back to 7th, down to 6th, back to 7th, etc. it did not matter if the cruise was on or if it was with a steady accelerator (please dont tell me to drive slower or that i dont know how to drive). id like to hear from someone else who actually has a 3.2 Trailhawk what gear they run in at different speeds. if you dont have a Cherokee much less a TH you are only speculating based on 0 actual empirical evidence

so for anyone that is interested you can do the math yourself
axle ratio 3.251
Gear ratios
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
4.7 2.84 1.91 1.38 1.00 0.81 0.7 0.58 0.48
tire size 29.5d or 14.75r
so my speeds and rpms are pretty much dead on, the problem is with the trans not shifting into or staying in 8th gear when it does.

btw, for somoe reason it doesnt have a problem shifting into 7th at 35mph at around 1-1.1k rpms where i then have to apply a heavy foot (this is about the only time i do so) for it to downshift and actually accelerate
__________________
2014 KL Trailhawk 3.2
2005 GTO

Last edited by Zoramac; 12-05-2013 at 07:52 PM..
Zoramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #24
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post

There is a small strech on (trying to remember) 75 going towards mt holley or was it 96 going towards grand rapids.

but anyway, i made a 120 mile trip all highway this morning, again right around 20mpg, yes going 70-75 and i paid close attention to the rpms, speed and gear the whole trip, >95% of the trip was in 7th gear ~1900 rpm @ 70mph which on the ic calc is right around 19-21mpg, 9% of the trip it was in 6th gear ~2100 rpm @70mph at about 14-16 mpg. only about 1% of the trip did it ever upshift to 8th gear and at 70mph @1500rpm the ic showed about 28-30 mpg. but of course the trans would bounce back to 7th, down to 6th, back to 7th, etc. it did not matter if the cruise was on or if it was with a steady accelerator (please dont tell me to drive slower or that i dont know how to drive). id like to hear from someone else who actually has a 3.2 Trailhawk what gear they run in at different speeds. if you dont have a Cherokee much less a TH you are only speculating based on 0 actual empirical evidence

so for anyone that is interested you can do the math yourself
axle ratio 3.251
Gear ratios
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
4.7 2.84 1.91 1.38 1.00 0.81 0.7 0.58 0.48
tire size 29.5d or 14.75r
so my speeds and rpms are pretty much dead on, the problem is with the trans not shifting into or staying in 8th gear when it does.

btw, for somoe reason it doesnt have a problem shifting into 7th at 35mph at around 1-1.1k rpms where i then have to apply a heavy foot (this is about the only time i do so) for it to downshift and actually accelerate
I know it isnt anywhere on I75. Certain conditions have to be met before it will shift, you have to have the power to do so, which apparently it doesn't. You also dont want it shifting constantly either and burn up the transmission. What happens when you try and force it into 8th or 9th gear manually? Can you maintain speed?
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
Zoramac
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
I know it isnt anywhere on I75. Certain conditions have to be met before it will shift, you have to have the power to do so, which apparently it doesn't. You also dont want it shifting constantly either and burn up the transmission. What happens when you try and force it into 8th or 9th gear manually? Can you maintain speed?
I can force it, but it wont stay and on the occasions when it does shift to 8th it doesnt seem to have a problem with power, although it does shift in 8th over 75mph more often (btw ic shows 34-35mpg at 80mph when it is in 8th).
hmmm. maybe thats my problem - i dont have a bad trans cal i have an underpowered 3.2..come on aftermarket..lol
now that you mention it, id really like to see a a dyno graph to see where the hp and torque tracks on these.
__________________
2014 KL Trailhawk 3.2
2005 GTO
Zoramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post

I can force it, but it wont stay and on the occasions when it does shift to 8th it doesnt seem to have a problem with power, although it does shift in 8th over 75mph more often (btw ic shows 34-35mpg at 80mph when it is in 8th).
hmmm. maybe thats my problem - i dont have a bad trans cal i have an underpowered 3.2..come on aftermarket..lol
now that you mention it, id really like to see a a dyno graph to see where the hp and torque tracks on these.
On the GC you can force it to stay in a gear no matter what until you drop below a certain rpm. The 3.6 doesnt make a whole lot of power in the lower rpm's, I would venture a guess the 3.2 is the same way.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
Zoramac
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 39
Someone on another forum with a 3.2TH got 26.7mpg going 70 on a 500 mile trip. it was 50 degrees this morning so a 20-25 degree difference cannot make a 20% difference in fuel economy so its back to either i have a bad trans calibration or my 3.2 is seriously underpowered compared to the other ones
__________________
2014 KL Trailhawk 3.2
2005 GTO
Zoramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
nomoremkx
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
I'll be buying gas tomorrow. Looks like the 26. something will not be there again... I'll post tomorrow.
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post
Someone on another forum with a 3.2TH got 26.7mpg going 70 on a 500 mile trip. it was 50 degrees this morning so a 20-25 degree difference cannot make a 20% difference in fuel economy so its back to either i have a bad trans calibration or my 3.2 is seriously underpowered compared to the other ones
I hate to say this but some vehicles just dont get good mileage for whatever reason... people on the ram forum get 20 to 22 mpg's with an identical truck to mine, I get 17 to 18. Hopefully yours will get better as it breaks in. My wife's Grand Cherokee got crappy mileage for the first 2000 miles, after 2200 miles it really started to improve, that was also when I put a k&n air filter in it as well but I doubt that gained much.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #30
nomoremkx
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 56
OK, Here it is. I bought 14.053 gallons of gas today after driving 323.2 miles. The Jeep says that I have averaged 24.2 MPG and the pencil says 22.9. I have always been good at math but... never better than a computer. Maybe I am slipping in my old age and the Jeep is right?

The total since I bought the Jeep is: 1276 miles @ 24.4 MPG

I still wish I had a bigger tank.
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.