Mpg 23.6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Mpg 23.6

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Reply
Unread 11-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
nomoremkx
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 76
Mpg 23.6

If anyone cared, I thought I would start a new tread about MPG's.

I have a 4cyl with active drive 1

I split my driving 50/50 city highway.

This is the results of my second tank:
I drove it down until the fuel light came on at 30 miles to empty. I stopped for gas about 10 miles later. The Jeep took 14.894 gallons to fill so I figure I only had about a gallon left seeing as the Jeep has a puny 15.9 gallon tank

This is the second tank I bought. The Jeep has 839 miles total. I drove 335.8 miles on the last tank for an average MPG of 23.6, It took 12 hours and 13 minutes to burn through the last 14 gallons if that matters to anyone.

nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
One key factor you left out is how fast you drive on the highway? If you drive 70-80MPH+ then a 23.6 MPG average for a 50/50 split tank is not that bad. If however, you drive 55-65MPH tops on the highway that is only so so.

Thanks for the info though. I am anxious to see how these vehicles do MPG wise. It will be a HUGE part of my decision. They need to at least see the EPA ratings for me to get one.

Oh, and if you think 15.8 gallons is puny for a gas tank try the Patriot's 13.6 gallon tank.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
nomoremkx
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 76
I set the adaptive cruise at 65 on the highway. Limit is 55 here. BTW the half a tank I used so far is at 25.8
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoremkx View Post
I set the adaptive cruise at 65 on the highway. Limit is 55 here. BTW the half a tank I used so far is at 25.8
Thanks for the update.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Zoramac
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 39
Angry

not getting very good mileage with my TH 3.2 so far
manual calculation after 500 miles and 4 fill ups
mixed driving 60/40ish 16.2MPG
did a recent 50+ mile all highway trip: reset each way as i got on the highway, console mileage both ways 22.2 -23.0 MPG 70-75mph
kinda feeling duped by Jeep since they advertised it as 19city, 22 mixed and 27 highway- had better mileage not been part of my requirement i would have gotten a JKU
I'm wanting to see who is getting the opposite of mine to give us the average that is advertised, if not...
__________________
2014 KL Trailhawk 3.2
2005 GTO
Zoramac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
RallyBud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coronado, CA
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post
not getting very good mileage with my TH 3.2 so far
manual calculation after 500 miles and 4 fill ups
mixed driving 60/40ish 16.2MPG
did a recent 50+ mile all highway trip: reset each way as i got on the highway, console mileage both ways 22.2 -23.0 MPG 70-75mph
kinda feeling duped by Jeep since they advertised it as 19city, 22 mixed and 27 highway- had better mileage not been part of my requirement i would have gotten a JKU
I'm wanting to see who is getting the opposite of mine to give us the average that is advertised, if not...
All normal for cold weather fuel economy. Folks in warmer climates are getting as advertised. Those in cold climates are getting as expected. I just read a bunch of posts on another forum that reaffirms it.

Here is a link explaining why cold weather climates get crappy fuel economy when it is cold: http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm

Bottom line: Cold weather and driving styles effect mpg.
RallyBud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
nomoremkx
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 76
The tale of the tape continues. Just bought another 12.6 gallons of gas today. I really wish I had a bigger tank!

I went 319.9 miles and averaged 26.4 MPG! Jeep was running for 9 hours and 24 minutes. I did baby the Jeep because I wanted to get the best MPG I could.

The total since I owned it is: 952 miles averaging 26.0 MPG for 32 hours and 5 minutes of driving.

The best part is that the first 30 miles of my drive is on the freeway. I checked the MPG after I exited and was at 29.1 MPG! I know that will go down wit street driving but still, not to bad.

It is interesting that when I divide 319.9 miles into 12.6 gallons I get 25.3 MPG and not the 26.4 the computer says. Hmmmmm..... Any thoughts?
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoremkx View Post
The tale of the tape continues. Just bought another 12.6 gallons of gas today. I really wish I had a bigger tank!

I went 319.9 miles and averaged 26.4 MPG! Jeep was running for 9 hours and 24 minutes. I did baby the Jeep because I wanted to get the best MPG I could.

The total since I owned it is: 952 miles averaging 26.0 MPG for 32 hours and 5 minutes of driving.

The best part is that the first 30 miles of my drive is on the freeway. I checked the MPG after I exited and was at 29.1 MPG! I know that will go down wit street driving but still, not to bad.

It is interesting that when I divide 319.9 miles into 12.6 gallons I get 25.3 MPG and not the 26.4 the computer says. Hmmmmm..... Any thoughts?
Chrysler's onboard computer MPG estimates have always been way off. Never seen one in any Chrysler vehicle that was even close to being accurate. They always say you get better than you really do. Yours being just .9 off is an accurate one from what I have seen. Some of the ones I have had in Ram trucks ran 2-3 MPG+ off. Stick to doing the math yourself when you fill to know what you really get for MPG.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post
not getting very good mileage with my TH 3.2 so far
manual calculation after 500 miles and 4 fill ups
mixed driving 60/40ish 16.2MPG
did a recent 50+ mile all highway trip: reset each way as i got on the highway, console mileage both ways 22.2 -23.0 MPG 70-75mph
kinda feeling duped by Jeep since they advertised it as 19city, 22 mixed and 27 highway- had better mileage not been part of my requirement i would have gotten a JKU
I'm wanting to see who is getting the opposite of mine to give us the average that is advertised, if not...
The highway portion of the EPA estimate is not figured at the 70-75 MPH you have been traveling at. It is figured at a more conservative speed in a lab( on rollers no less ). You can't expect to get the EPA rating going that fast. Slow down to 60-65 MPH and use your CC and your MPG will rise. If you are only seeing 16 MPG in mixed driving then you are probably pretty heavy on the pedal around town too. Slow down and take it easy there as well and your MPG will rise for you.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Zoramac
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
The highway portion of the EPA estimate is not figured at the 70-75 MPH you have been traveling at. It is figured at a more conservative speed in a lab( on rollers no less ). You can't expect to get the EPA rating going that fast. Slow down to 60-65 MPH and use your CC and your MPG will rise. If you are only seeing 16 MPG in mixed driving then you are probably pretty heavy on the pedal around town too. Slow down and take it easy there as well and your MPG will rise for you.
Fortunately the speed limits on most Michigan highways is 70 and in some places 75 so please dont advise driving like a grandma in the right lane well below the speed limit unless you are trying to have me incite road rage in other drivers, why im seeing such bad gas mileage is (i believe) due to a bad trans cal. on rare occasion when im going 70 the trans will upshift to 8th gear and run a little over 1500rpm which actually gives decent gas mileage, however the majority of the time it runs in 7th gear and occasionally 6th which puts the rpms well over 2k, hence a bad calibration, but if the trans uses the same appx gear spacing it should also theoretically be able to run @70-75mph around 1.2-1.3k rpm. now without seeing a dyno of that to know where the actual torque curve is at that rpm it is just speculation, however when in 8th at 1500 it still has plenty of oomph to move so id assume torque at that rpm shouldnt be an issue but that depends on how deep 9th actually is.
and btw, since 2008 the epa tests at speeds up to 80mph in bursts
__________________
2014 KL Trailhawk 3.2
2005 GTO
Zoramac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post
Fortunately the speed limits on most Michigan highways is 70 and in some places 75 so please dont advise driving like a grandma in the right lane well below the speed limit unless you are trying to have me incite road rage in other drivers, why im seeing such bad gas mileage is (i believe) due to a bad trans cal. on rare occasion when im going 70 the trans will upshift to 8th gear and run a little over 1500rpm which actually gives decent gas mileage, however the majority of the time it runs in 7th gear and occasionally 6th which puts the rpms well over 2k, hence a bad calibration, but if the trans uses the same appx gear spacing it should also theoretically be able to run @70-75mph around 1.2-1.3k rpm. now without seeing a dyno of that to know where the actual torque curve is at that rpm it is just speculation, however when in 8th at 1500 it still has plenty of oomph to move so id assume torque at that rpm shouldnt be an issue but that depends on how deep 9th actually is.
and btw, since 2008 the epa tests at speeds up to 80mph in bursts
So to you going 60-65 in a 70 is driving like a grandma? Ok. Explans a lot about your observed MPG.

You know, I hear that about having to go fast or it will tick other drivers off a lot and frankly it is just an excuse for that person to go faster. If you go 60-65 in a 70 you are not going to incite road rage. That is ridiculous. I went from NH to VA in Sept and that included stretches of 70 MPH posted speed limit highways. My CC was set at 60 MPH and I had no problems with anyone and my MPG was great.

I do believe Michigan has a minimum high speed limit of 55 MPH so going 60-65 is not illegal or anything if the posted limit is 70 MPH. Also, 70 MPH is the maximum speed limit allowed, technically, not the starting point.

Not trying to start anything with you here. You complained about your MPg and to me it is pretty clear why you are seeing what you are. Slow down and it will go up.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Zoramac
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wyandotte, Michigan
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
I do believe Michigan has a minimum high speed limit of 55 MPH so going 60-65 is not illegal or anything if the posted limit is 70 MPH. Also, 70 MPH is the maximum speed limit allowed, technically, not the starting point.
lol..You've obviously never driven in Michigan, on many highways the right slow lane is 5 over and the left lanes are 15-20 over. going 55 or 60 when traffic is moving at 80 is just asking for trouble. Besides going slower is not always a given to get better mileage, on my GTO the sweet spot is about 85-90 and i can get around 30mpg, my 98 Camaro was around 90-95mph and i got close to 33 (ever been on the autobahn or through Montana when the speed limit was safe and prudent? besides, just ask any Vette or gen4 Camaro driver where they get the best mileage). Its a matter of gearing, torque and cd that puts you in a sweet spot where the engine works most efficiently. im still betting a proper cal on the trans would help my mileage(which is what caused the delay on launching the Cherokees in the first place)

here is a good link someone else posted on one of the other forums http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-mpg-estimates
backatcha, its all good
__________________
2014 KL Trailhawk 3.2
2005 GTO
Zoramac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
NHPATRIOT
Registered User
2014 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Exeter, NH
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoramac View Post
lol..You've obviously never driven in Michigan, on many highways the right slow lane is 5 over and the left lanes are 15-20 over. going 55 or 60 when traffic is moving at 80 is just asking for trouble. Besides going slower is not always a given to get better mileage, on my GTO the sweet spot is about 85-90 and i can get around 30mpg, my 98 Camaro was around 90-95mph and i got close to 33 (ever been on the autobahn or through Montana when the speed limit was safe and prudent? besides, just ask any Vette or gen4 Camaro driver where they get the best mileage). Its a matter of gearing, torque and cd that puts you in a sweet spot where the engine works most efficiently. im still betting a proper cal on the trans would help my mileage(which is what caused the delay on launching the Cherokees in the first place)

here is a good link someone else posted on one of the other forums http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-mpg-estimates
backatcha, its all good
MI, NJ, TX, et al... everyone thinks their state is the worst and people from other areas just don't understand. I have driven in a lot of states( including MI )and I don't worry about what other driver's are doing as far as speed limits. I worry about myself. Never have been run over or had any problems.

Good luck with it and let us know if you ever figure it out.
__________________
2014 Jeep Cherokee
Latitude
3.2L Pentastar V6
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sussex, new jersey
Posts: 6,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
Chrysler's onboard computer MPG estimates have always been way off. Never seen one in any Chrysler vehicle that was even close to being accurate. They always say you get better than you really do. Yours being just .9 off is an accurate one from what I have seen. Some of the ones I have had in Ram trucks ran 2-3 MPG+ off. Stick to doing the math yourself when you fill to know what you really get for MPG.
always agreed, but i drove my ram to boston, non stop, hand calc the mpg and the comp. was only off by 3/10s. first time that has happened.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: sussex, new jersey
Posts: 6,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
MI, NJ, TX, et al... everyone thinks their state is the worst and people from other areas just don't understand. I have driven in a lot of states( including MI )and I don't worry about what other driver's are doing as far as speed limits. I worry about myself. Never have been run over or had any problems.

Good luck with it and let us know if you ever figure it out.
unless your on 95 and that 18 wheeler is right on your but.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.