Has anyone gone from a Grand Cherokee to a 2014 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Has anyone gone from a Grand Cherokee to a 2014 Cherokee

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 01-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #1
dproto09

Has anyone gone from a Grand Cherokee to a 2014 Cherokee

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee. My question is has anyone traded their GC Wk2 to a 2014 Cherokee KL. Would love to hear what they have to say. Any regrets, any improvements, Pros & Cons
Thanks

dproto09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
bruceg

Just curious as to why you'd wanna trade to the Cherokee? I guess I just don't understand what you're hoping to get out of it. lol You'd be going to a smaller vehicle, smaller engine, less ground clearance, etc. Only thing I think you'd be getting over the GC is fuel mileage.
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
SGilbert
2014 KL Cherokee 

Went from an '06 Commander Limited Hemi (Grand Cherokee; sort of) to '14 Cherokee Limited 3.2. No regrets! Plenty of power, enough room, far more tech, MPG is great, just not quite high enough, nor can I tow my 6500# boat.
Unread 01-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
dproto09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
Just curious as to why you'd wanna trade to the Cherokee? I guess I just dont understand what you're hoping to get out of it. lol You'd be going to a smaller vehicle, smaller engine, less ground clearance, etc. thing I thin. you'd be getting over the GC is fuel mileage.
To answer your question, I live in NYC and the only real offroading i will be doing is driving to work in the snow and any blizzards. The only other reason i need a truck for is to tow either one or two motorcycle down to florida, when i go on vacation.

What I was looking for with the cherokee is a jeep that can handle anything, lower payment because It cheaper and hoping to save some money with better mpg. I'm just not sure if I would lose my shirt because i leased my 2014wk2 limited .
Unread 01-04-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Is the Wk2 really have better ground clearance than the Trailhawk or even Limited with ADII? I've parked/driven by a handful of GCs and I think my Limited is taller or even. Maybe the lower plastic trim ruins the angles but I think they are really close. Can't say I actually measured so may be true.

I think if you don't need the space and have a concern on gas mileage it makes sense. My biggest concern was space and I just decided a cargo box can solve that problem on the occasions I need more.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdxsm View Post
Is the Wk2 really have better ground clearance than the Trailhawk or even Limited with ADII? I've parked/driven by a handful of GCs and I think my Limited is taller or even. Maybe the lower plastic trim ruins the angles but I think they are really close. Can't say I actually measured so may be true.

I think if you don't need the space and have a concern on gas mileage it makes sense. My biggest concern was space and I just decided a cargo box can solve that problem on the occasions I need more.
A WK2 Laredo, Limited (without Quadra-Lift), or Overland (without Quadra-Lift) on street tires has about the same ground clearance as a KL Trail-Hawk (8.6" for the WK2 vs. 8.7" for a KL Trail-Hawk). A WK2 Limited or Overland with Quadra-Lift (adjustable air-suspension, part of the Off-Road Adventure II package) or a WK2 Summit (with comes with Quadra-Lift standard) can raise the ground-clearance to 10.7".
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
dproto09

How much do you guys think i would lose. I had the 2014 for four months. Also what is the towing capacity on the 4cyc 4x4 with tow package.
Unread 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dproto09 View Post
How much do you guys think i would lose. I had the 2014 for four months.
10%-20% would be average (you usually loose 10% as soon as you drive it off the lot and 20% in the 1st year).

Quote:
Also what is the towing capacity on the 4cyc 4x4 with tow package.
2,000lbs.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:28 AM   #9
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
A WK2 Laredo, Limited (without Quadra-Lift), or Overland (without Quadra-Lift) on street tires has about the same ground clearance as a KL Trail-Hawk (8.6" for the WK2 vs. 8.7" for a KL Trail-Hawk). A WK2 Limited or Overland with Quadra-Lift (adjustable air-suspension, part of the Off-Road Adventure II package) or a WK2 Summit (with comes with Quadra-Lift standard) can raise the ground-clearance to 10.7".
Apparently Jeep claims the ADI and ADII are the same. I find that odd though since ADII gives a inch lift and the TH tires add about another inch give or take. But all things considered a Trailhawk or Active Drive II KL as you pointed out will be on par ground clearance wise with a stock WK2.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To answer your question, I live in NYC and the only real offroading i will be doing is driving to work in the snow and any blizzards. The only other reason i need a truck for is to tow either one or two motorcycle down to florida, when i go on vacation.
... .
NYC potholes are as close to offroading as anything.

[not totally joking, don't drive in the city often, but I sure prefer the Jeep to any conventional car]

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89
Ground clearance is the same on all models with the same size tires regardless of what suspension it has or what the brochure says. Actual minimum ground clearance is measure at the LCA but Jeep advertises it measured elsewhere on the vehicle for sales gimmicks.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #12
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceg View Post
Just curious as to why you'd wanna trade to the Cherokee? I guess I just don't understand what you're hoping to get out of it. lol You'd be going to a smaller vehicle, smaller engine, less ground clearance, etc. Only thing I think you'd be getting over the GC is fuel mileage.
Yes I agree, only thing I could think of is perhaps wants a smaller vehicle or better MPGs?.. Getting out of a lease can be tough and is going to cost you allot! Been there tried that!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.