Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Frequently Asked Questions: KL

23K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  ForcedInduction 
#1 ·
I have been procrastinating creating this thread because I haven't had the time to go and research all the information I feel should be in it. But if I wait for time to figure all that out, I'll never get it done.

As with the other FAQ's on this forum, please let me know of new information so that I can get this thread updated!

Q: Where can I find lift kits for my new Jeep?
It seems there is a DIY lift kit for the KL! It's 30mm / 1.25" worth of lift
http://www.justaskdave.com.au/kl-cherokee-lift/

Remmons has created a thread with a step by step. With pictures!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f428/there-s-hope-off-shelf-cherokee-kl-lift-3655881/

Rocky Road now has a kit http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-lift-kit.html

Q: What is the max tire size?
245/70/17 has been reported to fit. [ Tyler-98-W68 and SeaComms ]

Q: Where can I find quality off-road upgrades for my KL?
Rocky Road Outfitters has a pretty good selection
Gobi has built a rack
If you know of other companies that are making parts, please have some first hand knowledge about the product or manufacturer.

Q: Which 4WD system is better?
  • Active Drive I (Good) - This is the basic 4WD system. It has no Low range. This system has fewer selectable options in the "Selec-Terrain" System. This will get you through the bad weather, and down improved / maintained dirt and gravel roads.
    NOTE: This configuration does not have a neutral setting so it won't work for being towed flat.
  • Active Drive II (Better) - This is the more advanced 4WD system found in the KL. It does have a Low range, and more selectable options in the "Selec-Terrain" System. This one will get you through bad weather, most roads, and will handle the mud and small obstacles.
  • Active Drive Lock (Best) - This is the same as Active Drive II, except it adds a rear locker, and rock mode for Selec-Terrain. This is only 4WD system offered on the Trailhawk, and it is only offered on the Trailhawk. This is the 4WD system that stand the best chance of getting you "off road", and over obstacles due to the availability of the rear locker.
    REMINDER: Hill Decent Control works in reverse!
Jeep's official page on Active Drive can be found here

Q: Where can I find xx information about my new KL?
That's partially what this FAQ is for. If you have a question you can't find here (Search works pretty well), please feel free to start a thread and ask

Q: My KL is supposed to have 9 speeds. Why don't I ever see 9th?
It also needs to be considered what gear ratio you have.

First you have the V6 with no tow pack with the tallest gearing available at around 3.2:1 and will most likely not ever see 9th gear, especially if you don't travel in the 80 mph+ area. Even then it would need to be a long downhill.

Then is the v6 with tow pack (or Trailhawk with or without tow pack) and now we are up around the 3.7:1 and you will see 8th at around 60mph but still need to venture into the 75mph + area to see 9th.

Then there is the 4cyl non tow and the ratios are around 3.9:1?? These guys will.see 9th at around 60 to 65 mph

Then the 4cyk with tow pack and the best gearing of all in my opinion up around the 4.1:1. These guys will regularly see 9th at 60mp and hold it dropping to 55.

This was an example and not exact figures (diff ratios are from memory and prior to my morning coffee) and typed without my glasses on.... the main idea.of this post is to explain why some people see 8th and 9th much more than others.
Q: My Controls and Electronics are doing strange things, what should I do?

There seems to be 3 common causes for various electronics issues with the KL.
  1. uConnect Software - The uConnect system has it's claws into just about everything in the new Cherokee. If you're seeing strange things with just about anything (to include blind spot sensors), it's worth checking to see if there's an update. ( http://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/ )
  2. Loose battery cable - Seems like a no brainer, but it's one of those things that's so simple it tends to get overlooked. There have also been reports of battery cables being loose from the factory.
  3. Bad battery - The KL (like most new cars) seems to be more digital than mechanical. If you've tried steps 1 and 2, it's worth getting your battery tested.

Q: How do I update the uConnect in my KL?
  1. Armed with your VIN, head to http://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/ and download the latest software updates.
  2. Watch this video:
  3. Update your software!

Q: I've heard stories about how horrible the 9 speed transmission is, how much of that is true?

It's based in fact. A small percentage of the '14 and early '15 models had issues with their transmissions. There seems to be a fix that finally works for those unfortunate enough to have had the issue. It seems that it's not an issue on the late '15 and '16 models.

Most people have not had issues with the transmissions in their Cherokee. That being said, it can be a real hassle to get fixed if it happens.

Q: I want to upgrade my headlights, are there any upgrade kits available?

In most (if not all) states retrofitting HID or LED systems into the factory halogen enclosures is not legal. Discussions around modifications on street Jeeps must be kept legal, or "off road only". And I'm not sure anyone on these forums (yet) has a KL that is never going to hit the street.

Remmons wrote a pretty good post on the subject. It can be found here Are Aftermarket HID (High Intensity Discharge) Lights Legal?

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you for creating this thread. I'm doing some "investigating" and research on the new Cherokee because I'll be hopefully buying myself a Trailhawk in the next six months to replace my 2002 KJ Sport. (I was one of those who HATED the looks of the new KL, but now I'm DREAMING of owning one). The biggest complaint that I've heard thus far were that the headlights had condensation issues, and that there was a "software" issue with the 9-speed automatic trans. Otherwise, I'm seeing rave reviews, especially on the V6 models. I'd love to see this thread expand with tons of info. ;)

#16 ·
SeaComms, thank you for looking into this for me. I appreciate your help. I emailed the salesman, and the service department will be programming a "key" for me, which I find odd. I asked what happened to the original second fob, and I still haven't gotten an answer. Shady dealership! Lesson learned, unfortunately a little too late.

#17 ·
Hi JeepConfusion,

Since you are located in the US, if you require assistance from FCA, you can contact Customer Care for the US at (877-426-5337) 877-IAMJEEP. Customer Care is open 24 hours, 7 day a week.

I hope this works for you!

Thank you,

Kathleen

#19 ·
There's a reason he said he'll cut you a key. Repo, the dealer keeps the extra key if the car has to be repo. Also look under your dash for a extra gps. It's about the size of a half deck of cards. It's wired sometimes into the obd2 port . Or you'll find a pig tail comming out of the fuse box to power the unit and 2 wires that go to your starter to disable it in case your payment is late. Most dealers slip in a paper stating the car is equips with a thief deterant system marked Windows ect. And it's against the law to remove it. If you go on u tube there's VIEDOs showing how to disable them. A friend of mine repos cars for banks and he also gets paid by people to restart there cars. You might go out one day and your car won't start. Not knowing that unit is installed go to a station have a dishonest garage will rack you a grand saying all things were wrong and they call the 800 number because you car was shut down by accident and you weren't told. Also if you buy or release a car someone else had he goes to people's homes and removes them for free and gets paid by the bank. Every car that's sold the owner is supposed to be told that unit is in the car. Dealers are lazy and just flip cars.
Just my 2 cents from what my friend tells me.

#22 ·
I have a 2015 KL Cherokee and wanted to get bigger tires going from the standard size of 225/65 r17 to 255/60 r17. The dealership said that if I did that, I could end up with having a internal transmission failure. Has anybody ever hear of that happening? Love this jeep, hate the dealership!

Jeep is a CPO Jeep and after the first 3 months of having it and putting on about 3,000 miles,took it in for an O/L/F and they are telling me the serpentine belt should be replaced! OMG!

Thank you in advance for your comments!!
-Rick

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.