Chrysler concerns and reviews - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Chrysler concerns and reviews

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
jimjake26

Chrysler concerns and reviews

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle.

I stumbled across this forum while researching the Cherokee. I have been searching all over the web for information on this car because my wife really loves it and I like it too but I am more leery over some reviews and concerns I have read. Please read my thoughts and comment if you share any or can shed light on some concerns I have.

So far, I have test driven the CRV, Escape, RAV-4, Forester and the Cherokee and I liked the Escape and Cherokee the best. I thought the Escape handled really well, good brakes and was a joy to drive but the interior was muddled with buttons everywhere with a joystick to control the radio. Not to mention that MyFordTouch has an issue with crashes.

The Cherokee was beautiful inside, very comfortable and the computer was easy to navigate, loved the LCD window in the dash and the unique styling. However, the V6 was not as sporty, the turn response not as crisp and the breaks a little mushy. Not bad in any respect but not as nice as the Ford.

In my 20 minute test drive of the Cherokee, I did not notice some of the issues the reviewers had such as engine noise or rattles. The new transmission worries me. And from owning Toyota's and Honda's for the last 20 years, I fear the Chrysler brand because of the dependability rating. I tend to buy and hold my vehicles (1999 Camry with 260,000 miles).

As you can read, I am all over the map. My brother-in-law's brother runs a Jeep Chrysler dealership and I can get employee pricing but I am still on the fence.

Any help?

jimjake26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
shark715

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjake26 View Post

I stumbled across this forum while researching the Cherokee. I have been searching all over the web for information on this car because my wife really loves it and I like it too but I am more leery over some reviews and concerns I have read. Please read my thoughts and comment if you share any or can shed light on some concerns I have.

So far, I have test driven the CRV, Escape, RAV-4, Forester and the Cherokee and I liked the Escape and Cherokee the best. I thought the Escape handled really well, good brakes and was a joy to drive but the interior was muddled with buttons everywhere with a joystick to control the radio. Not to mention that MyFordTouch has an issue with crashes.

The Cherokee was beautiful inside, very comfortable and the computer was easy to navigate, loved the LCD window in the dash and the unique styling. However, the V6 was not as sporty, the turn response not as crisp and the breaks a little mushy. Not bad in any respect but not as nice as the Ford.

In my 20 minute test drive of the Cherokee, I did not notice some of the issues the reviewers had such as engine noise or rattles. The new transmission worries me. And from owning Toyota's and Honda's for the last 20 years, I fear the Chrysler brand because of the dependability rating. I tend to buy and hold my vehicles (1999 Camry with 260,000 miles).

As you can read, I am all over the map. My brother-in-law's brother runs a Jeep Chrysler dealership and I can get employee pricing but I am still on the fence.

Any help?
I am exactly where you are, except I like the Cherokee V6 engine versus the optional turbo engine in the escape. I liked the way the escape drove, but disliked the interior. The Cherokee is my first pick, but I am afraid of buying a first year model (been there done that), especially given my past experiences with other Chrysler products. If you have not already driven the forester xt, I would definitely say that it is worth a test drive. Lots of power, but it has a much more Econobox feel to it versus the Cherokee and the escape. But I would be confident regarding long-term reliability with the Subaru.

I wish that honda or Toyota were selling something that I like. The Acura rdx that now has a V-6 is interesting, but I just can't say that it does much for me.

Good luck.
shark715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have owned Jeeps continuously since 1987 and have very good experience with reliability. Our Patriot built in November of 2007 now has 215k km on it and still runs like a champ. I learned long ago to totally ignore Consumer Reports with their glaring obvious bias toward Japanese built vehicles. Our daughter has a Nissan minivan and although it is a decent car it has little electronic quirks that drive me nuts and good luck with getting the stealership to fix em. I believe North American cars have improved in reliability and Japanese vehicles have gone the other way.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
ourlee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do yourself a favor and drive the mazda cx-5. Go to mazdas247.com and check them out.
Rick
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Napoleon1982

The Mazda CX-5 looks amazing, but that engine is severely underpowered. They really needed to increase the power on it. If the CX-5 had over 200 hp, I think that would be towards the top of my list.
Napoleon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
sailor80

I owned a 2013 Escape and with the ample recalls they bought mine back as a lemon... I'd rather not have my engine blow up so when it was offered I took it. Nothing compares to the Cherokee for options and comfort for this price. I love it. Here is to hoping for a better first year run with a new model! 😊

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
sailor80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjake26 View Post

Any help?
The part I made bold is your answer. In the event anything did go wrong I am sure your relatives would take care of you.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

op, i have the pentastar v6 in my wrangler, love that engine. the cherokee engine is a bit smaller. when comparing, keep in mind jeeps off road heritage and the torque band is reflected for that use as well as on road.. quality has increased by leaps and bounds over the pas 12 years or so. transmissions have imho be come very reliable. rattles on a new vehicle ? drive another one on from the lot and see if you have the same concerns. also consider the diff in warranty between companies. all brands have and will put out the occasional lemon.
pentastarguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its not the Chrysler parts I'd worry about- they're doing some great stuff, and the only problematic engine they've made in the past 70 years was the 2.7L from the early 2000s. I'd wait until that German ZF front-drive 9-speed monster of a transmission has a more proven track record, though. The rear-drive one for the bigger cars is doing great, but I'm always leery of anything that is primarily front-drive with a 4wd option instead of rear-drive with a 4wd option.
2001 Cherokee Sport automatic 4x2 (sold)
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
RallyBud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440_Magnum View Post
Its not the Chrysler parts I'd worry about- they're doing some great stuff, and the only problematic engine they've made in the past 70 years was the 2.7L from the early 2000s. I'd wait until that German ZF front-drive 9-speed monster of a transmission has a more proven track record, though. The rear-drive one for the bigger cars is doing great, but I'm always leery of anything that is primarily front-drive with a 4wd option instead of rear-drive with a 4wd option.
I ask this because I really don't know...but what other 4x4's are primarily fwd? Are you talking about Lancers, Imprezas, etc?
RallyBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440_Magnum View Post
...but I'm always leery of anything that is primarily front-drive with a 4wd option instead of rear-drive with a 4wd option.
how come?

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
herb4372

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj
how come?
Because.... That's the way it's always been. And I'm afraid of change!!!
herb4372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
herb4372

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb4372
Because.... That's the way it's always been. And I'm afraid of change!!!
(This actually sums up the May saying from the xj crowd about the kl
herb4372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
CG07SUT

This is out fifth new Jeep product and sixth Jeep. The only used one was an 86 Cherokee. I work with four people that have new escapes and each one has wished more than once that they didn't buy it. The most serious problem was engine cut-outs while starting/turning in intersections that almost caused t-bone accidents. I've had a few first year models (ford, Lincoln, Buick, Chevy and Kia). Some have had more issues than others but the MFGR has always made them right. I leased the wife's KL so we will see where this one goes. I can say I love my 13 JKUR and will give the new Cherokee a fair shake. I may not keep my vehicles as long as some, but I put plenty of miles on the ones I own (16k miles n my rubi in 8 months so far)
CG07SUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
bitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
The opinion I gave to the OP had nothing to do with my feelings over the name of the KL, just personal experience with the Ford and having worked in the automotive industry long enough to know not to buy a completely new platform in it's first year of production. That goes for any car, give it a couple years for them to work out major problems.
Amen...
If the OP doesn't really need a car now, wait. Let time tell you how the Cherokee will fare.

I'm hoping that one of the cars we have will hold out until time tells me if the Cherokee bits are good or not.
bitters is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.