Cherokee Limited vs GC Laredo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > Cherokee Limited vs GC Laredo

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Napoleon1982

Cherokee Limited vs GC Laredo

I priced out a Cherokee Limited (V6, 4x4, 8.4 Uconnect, Technology package, dual pane sunroof, and Luxury Package) and a Grand Cherokee Laredo (V6, 4x4, Security and Convenience package, 8.4 UConnect) and they are about the same price.

Would you take a GC with cloth seats, 8 speed tranny, and a basic goodies or a Cherokee with premium leather, new untested 9 speed, and lots of options?

I know they are two different vehicles, different sizes, etc. But for someone shopping for a jeep in the $35-40k range, they both fit the mold.

Napoleon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Hands down Cherokee. It's what I picked and I long considered the GC. Outside of size, there are no real gains to be had on the GC unless RWD bias is important.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Napoleon1982

You don't feel the GC has a nicer interior and better/more luxurious ride?
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Napoleon1982

And I didn't know the GC was RWD bias? I thought it was FWD?
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

GC is rwd and has a real transfer case. But does have IRS and IFS

Cherokee is fwd and does not have a true transfer case. Its IFS and IRS as well

So if you need a smaller car and will only ever do very mild off road, get the Cherokee. The GC will feel a bit more refined and will be better off road, but with IRS and IFS still not that much of an off roader.

The GC is more tried and proven, the new Cherokee is brand new and will have growing pains, but Im sure in a couple years will be reliable and just as trusted.

This is a mixture of facts and opinion so take it for what its worth...neither will be a horrible decision, they are both Jeeps.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Napoleon1982

Senior year of High School I drove a 99 Jeep GC Laredo. Loved that car! (Made some memories in that back seat....)... But I haven't driven a Jeep since as I'd heard Jeep had been having some major reliability issues. I've been spoiled driving an Acura the past 8 years. I have 164,000 miles and not a single problem (and still runs beautifully). I am just hoping the new Jeeps don't have the reliability issues I've heard - transmission, engine, electronic. That new barely tested 9 speed scares me a bit, I won't lie. But the Cherokee fits my needs more. I don't off road much. I snowboard in the winter so I drive some windy icy mountain roads. And I'm an environmental engineer so I carry equipment and drive on soft pack gravel construction sites (my poor acura has been stuck way too many times). So the Cherokee fits the bill more, but theres something about the looks inside and out of the GC that I love. The price tag on the other hand, I DO NOT love
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

I'd suggest stopping down at a Jeep dealership and checking out the interior on the KL and WK2. As Jeeps' designer pointed out, they either took parts of the GC and put them in the KL's interior or used the same material. Even the "cloth" seats in the Cherokee are not full cloth. They are leather trimmed.

If you are comparing the Laredo to the KL, the KL wins hands down interior wise. If you are comparing the Limited or Overland WK2 to the Cherokee it's a little more subjective. Also keep in mind the Luxury package on the Cherokee KL adds upgraded leather above the regular found in the Limited.

As rangerr pointed out yes the GC is RWD with a transfer case whereas the Cherokee is FWD with a PTU system. The Trailhawk is off road geared and comes with a rear locker (something you normally find on the Wrangler).

Reliability wise, well we don't know yet on the KL. If you check out jeepcherokeeforum, there are some issues going on but it's not a huge amount of people. I have one minor issue right now but otherwise it's been fine. It is a new launch and new technology but that doesn't mean they won't get sorted out and be as reliable as every other Jeep. The motor being used is the Pentastar which is used it pretty much everything for Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge. It's just a smaller bore.

I think the ride on the GC will be more refined however I've never driven the Active Drive I version of the new Cherokee. I have the Active Drive II which adds the factory off road suspension/1inch lift from the Trailhawk. It's still very smooth.

If you're not opposed to used cars, you may want to consider a used Grand Cherokee Limited or even an Overland. I was shopping those for a long time until I decided size wise the Cherokee fit my family right. I think we may still buy a WK2 next year to go with the Cherokee.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon1982 View Post
I priced out a Cherokee Limited (V6, 4x4, 8.4 Uconnect, Technology package, dual pane sunroof, and Luxury Package) and a Grand Cherokee Laredo (V6, 4x4, Security and Convenience package, 8.4 UConnect) and they are about the same price.

Would you take a GC with cloth seats, 8 speed tranny, and a basic goodies or a Cherokee with premium leather, new untested 9 speed, and lots of options?

I know they are two different vehicles, different sizes, etc. But for someone shopping for a jeep in the $35-40k range, they both fit the mold.
For close to 40 you don’t have to get a lower end GC at all. I paid 38,500 for my 2013 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk bran new a few months ago, hek my buddy just purchased a left over 13 Overland for 40 K. On mine, I haggled the crap out of them and got the price down. You could get a G.C. 3.6l Limited or a Laredo E (has all the goodies) at the 40 mark..Try and find a left over 13/14 E or Limited or Overland maybe..And if you want the HEMI its an option too but it is a PIG, like I get 15 MPG combined pig, lol. Thats what I did man, searched around allot and found a left over model and worked them down close 7 G's, so they could fill there lots with the 14's, you would be surprised, if you look around and negotiate. Not bashing the KL at all I really like the Cherokee, just throwin it out there from somebody who was in your shoes! Good luck on whatever you get! Both are real sweet rides..I am consedering adding a KL Trailhawk to the family when the 15's arrive..
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #9
Napoleon1982

I like that the Cherokee is much cheaper, but the GC Limited definitely has a nicer interior. Cherokee gets better gas mileage. GC has more cargo room. Tough choice! Money not being an option, I'd be driving away in a GC Limited w/ luxury package.... sadly, money comes into play :-P
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
ua_who
2014 KL Cherokee 

I had the same exact comparison/decision 3 weeks ago.
In the end, the Cherokee won out. I just didn't need the extra size of the GC enough.
And the trailhawk with the rear locker won me over.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.