4 cyl engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > 4 cyl engine

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

4 cyl engine

those that opted for the 4 cyl. how do you like it? any regrets thus far for not getting the 6 cyl. tks.

pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
bruceg

I got the 4 cylinder. I didn't really need the extra power of the V6 since I didn't get the 4x4 model anyway. I'm enjoying the heck out of the good fuel mileage!
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

maybe it is too soon to ask.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
bruceg

Only been a week that I've owned my 4cyl. Maybe it's too soon to say, but I have no regrets so far. I find the 4 cyl has plenty of pep and the fuel mileage has been great so far. I've been averaging 24-26 MPG and I don't even do that much highway driving.
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
priell3
2014 KL Cherokee 

I have no problems with the 4 cylinder engine and love the MPG. Plenty of power.
2003 KJ
2000 XJ
priell3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
JDThird

I've had mine for about 6 weeks now, and have no regrets with the 4 cylinder. My 99 grand Cherokee limited (WJ) and the '01 I replaced it with had the V8, but for what I'm doing now (I used to off road when I had those, don't do that anymore) I saw no reason for the additional expense of the 6 banger in this one. I switched from a 2012 Nissan Juke with a turbo and some mods I did to boost it a bit, and while this certainly isn't the screamer that one was, it's really not THAT far back down the "oomph" scale. Works plenty fine and scoots from a stop when I need it to.
JDThird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

I actually took my 1st test drive of a new Cherokee today. I drove a 4 cyl model. My comments below will be based on a test drive and not ownership if that matters to you( OP ). I have actually held off driving one as I am not ready to buy yet and I knew if I did drive one it would get me itching to pull the trigger. As I expected it was really hard to leave without buying one. Great ride.

I actually had one with a 4 cyl and one with a 6 cyl vehicle lined up to test. An ADI Latitude for the 4cyl and an ADII Limited for the 6 cyl. I was going to do both so I could get a feel for the power differences. I drove the 4 cyl 1st and never even bothered with the 6 cyl model once I got back. No need for me as the 4 cyl will do the job just fine.

I am very anal about MPG and sticker price these days. I wasn't sure if I would be happy with the 4 cyl and 9spd as I tow a boat for fishing and waterfowl hunting about 10 months out of the year( about 1700lbs or so ). My Patriot handles it, barely, so I was going to try a 6 cyl too. The 4 cyl clearly has more than enough power to handle my towing needs though so as much as I would like the V6 for non practical reasons I know the 4 cyl will do the job and I prefer the better MPG and lower cost.

My Patriot has a 2.4L and the one in the Cherokee( updated/redesigned/different )while only making about 13 HP or so more FEELS like a lot more. Much more responsive off the line and when you punch it the vehicle gets right up and scoots. The Patriot has a CVT which impacts performance for sure but the Cherokee would flat out smoke my Patriot. Very noticeable performance difference.

It is a 4 cyl so it is not a rocket but it is not underpowered at all for the vehicle like I have heard some say. It is quiet, smooth, and has plenty of get up and go. Had some fun with it on the highway on ramp and it had no trouble getting up to speed so I could merge out. IMO the V6 is only a "NEED" if you need the 4500lbs towing capacity. Otherwise it is a "WANT". The 4 cyl is just fine in this vehicle.

Just for reference I come from driving nothing but full sized trucks with 300-400 HP V8's prior to the Patriot. I had a HEMI Ram before I got the Patriot so I am used to V8's with lots of power and I still found the Cherokee 4 cyl to be ok.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
I actually took my 1st test drive of a new Cherokee today. I drove a 4 cyl model. My comments below will be based on a test drive and not ownership if that matters to you( OP ). I have actually held off driving one as I am not ready to buy yet and I knew if I did drive one it would get me itching to pull the trigger. As I expected it was really hard to leave without buying one. Great ride.

I actually had one with a 4 cyl and one with a 6 cyl vehicle lined up to test. An ADI Latitude for the 4cyl and an ADII Limited for the 6 cyl. I was going to do both so I could get a feel for the power differences. I drove the 4 cyl 1st and never even bothered with the 6 cyl model once I got back. No need for me as the 4 cyl will do the job just fine.

I am very anal about MPG and sticker price these days. I wasn't sure if I would be happy with the 4 cyl and 9spd as I tow a boat for fishing and waterfowl hunting about 10 months out of the year( about 1700lbs or so ). My Patriot handles it, barely, so I was going to try a 6 cyl too. The 4 cyl clearly has more than enough power to handle my towing needs though so as much as I would like the V6 for non practical reasons I know the 4 cyl will do the job and I prefer the better MPG and lower cost.

My Patriot has a 2.4L and the one in the Cherokee( updated/redesigned/different )while only making about 13 HP or so more FEELS like a lot more. Much more responsive off the line and when you punch it the vehicle gets right up and scoots. The Patriot has a CVT which impacts performance for sure but the Cherokee would flat out smoke my Patriot. Very noticeable performance difference.

It is a 4 cyl so it is not a rocket but it is not underpowered at all for the vehicle like I have heard some say. It is quiet, smooth, and has plenty of get up and go. Had some fun with it on the highway on ramp and it had no trouble getting up to speed so I could merge out. IMO the V6 is only a "NEED" if you need the 4500lbs towing capacity. Otherwise it is a "WANT". The 4 cyl is just fine in this vehicle.

Just for reference I come from driving nothing but full sized trucks with 300-400 HP V8's prior to the Patriot. I had a HEMI Ram before I got the Patriot so I am used to V8's with lots of power and I still found the Cherokee 4 cyl to be ok.
That is saying something. I don't even like going from my ram to my wifes jeep power wise. I couldn't imagine going to 2 more cylinders to a 4 cylinder... and I traded my 4 cylinder fusion in on my ram!
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
steveinmedford
2014 KL Cherokee 

4 v 6

In retrospect I probably would like the 6 cyl better. I'm at the point where
i don't need the speed or power, however, the 4 cyl lacks the extra oomph for highway merging and hill climbs. Either that or my foot hasn't been heavy enough.

IMHO
Unread 12-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
priell3
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinmedford View Post
Either that or my foot hasn't been heavy enough.

IMHO
Placement of your foot on the gas pedal does make a difference. I know from experience.
2003 KJ
2000 XJ
priell3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
nomoremkx
2014 KL Cherokee 

My 4cyl has plenty of power for me. The MPG has not been that great and I spend 50-50 city highway. 22.9 MPG is not so good and i do not know why? I drive easy and actually try and get the best MPG I can so...

I did start an MPG page on this forum.
nomoremkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoremkx View Post
My 4cyl has plenty of power for me. The MPG has not been that great and I spend 50-50 city highway. 22.9 MPG is not so good and i do not know why? I drive easy and actually try and get the best MPG I can so...

I did start an MPG page on this forum.
I replied to your MPG concerns in the MPG thread but want to add the same comments here seeing as you brought it up so others are not spooked off by your comments( that was not meant to be offensive ).

You are a little confused( going by your post in the other thread ). Your Cherokee is a 4WD model according to your profile, not a FWD model, so it is not rated at 31 MPG highway as you posted it is. That is for the FWD 4cyl models only. The 4cyl 4WD models are rated as follows( non TH's )...

2.4L ADI = 21/28/24 average
2.4L ADII - 21/27/23 average

So you are doing 50/50 mixed driving and are basically seeing 23 MPG for average. That is spot on with what you should expect to see from a 4cyl 4WD model. I too would expect a little more if I drove easy and tried for better MPG but it is not like you are getting less than advertised. You are right there at the EPA rating. If you live where you have cold winter weather and/or winter blend fuel it is actually pretty good as those things kill MPG.

You are getting the EPA rating for the vehicle. I would be happy with that. IF you did all highway I bet you would see the rating for that as well.

Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
4WDHARDWARE
Vendor

2014 KL Cherokee 

I have the 4cyl....had I known I would be getting the same economy of the 6 cyl, I would have opted for that instead. BUT, the 4 cyl does have plenty of pep, even on mountain roads with grades.
4WDHARDWARE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
My Patriot has a 2.4L and the one in the Cherokee( updated/redesigned/different )while only making about 13 HP or so more FEELS like a lot more. Much more responsive off the line and when you punch it the vehicle gets right up and scoots.
The Cherokee (and the Dart) have the 2.4 TIGERSHARK engine, the Patriot/Compass have the base 2.4 (Non-Tigershark) engine.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...ershark+review

Also, a note on Fuel mileage. New engines required a few thousand miles to be considered "broken in". Generally 3-5,000 miles or so. My 2013 JK w/3.6 Pentastar was extremely tight when new. Really opened (Power/MPG wise) at around 3,000 miles or so. BIG difference.

So wait to get a few thousand miles on it BEFORE looking a fuel mileage.
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
The Cherokee (and the Dart) have the 2.4 TIGERSHARK engine, the Patriot/Compass have the base 2.4 (Non-Tigershark) engine.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...ershark+review

Also, a note on Fuel mileage. New engines required a few thousand miles to be considered "broken in". Generally 3-5,000 miles or so. My 2013 JK w/3.6 Pentastar was extremely tight when new. Really opened (Power/MPG wise) at around 3,000 miles or so. BIG difference.

So wait to get a few thousand miles on it BEFORE looking a fuel mileage.
Our wk2 was about 2200 miles before we started getting good mileage. The funny thing is my fusion got its best mileage the first 300 miles I had it.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.