2014 Cherokee in Transport Mode? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > 2014 Cherokee in Transport Mode?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
tptman
2014 KL Cherokee 

2014 Cherokee in Transport Mode?

I took my brand new (524 miles) Cherokee Limited for service today for two reasons; a) Check engine light was on and b) Heater fan would not come on. I was advised that these two issues were due to the fact that the car was still in "ship mode" vs. "customer mode". Apparently, the dealer is supposed to put the car in customer mode as part of the prep process. I did not see anything in the display indicating the car was in ship mode, so I was very surprised when I heard this was the cause. I assume I am being given the straight scoop on this...anyone else ever hear of this happening?

tptman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Not surprised. A lot of times it is hard to tell. My Audi has the same setting and through a diagnostic system that a lot of people use, you can set the car back into transport mode. I accidentally did it once and for a week could not figure out why the radio and hvac were not working right. Eventually solved it going through the diagnostic settings but nothing on the dash indicated what was up.

Weird that you didn't have issues BEFORE or see any symptoms.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
tptman
2014 KL Cherokee 

Thanks and yes, I was thinking the same thing...very odd that I had no issues prior to today. Everything was working fine.
Unread 12-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tptman View Post
Thanks and yes, I was thinking the same thing...very odd that I had no issues prior to today. Everything was working fine.
I would ask them to tell you a little more about what faults might have been thrown or any other info. Heater fan not coming and a check engine light indicate something happened that the transport mode was disabling or not letting happen properly. Hopefully it's just a random fault that isn't anything to worry about and not something more major like a faulty cooling system for the engine/tranny from the mode. I'd certainly ensure I got details so you a) can understand if you have future issues if there is any relation b) have something documented in case there are problems in the future you can show dealership fault.

I'm being a little dramatic but I started down the road of a lemon low and moss act complaints with the FTC and having records helped on a car.
Unread 12-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
tptman
2014 KL Cherokee 

Thanks...that's good advice. The good news is that I haven't seen the check engine light come back on, but the heater fan problem is still there. Very strange...I started the car and let it idle in the driveway for a good five minutes or so and the heater fan finally came on. Later in the day, I went for a drive and the heater never came on. When I returned home, as I was making the right turn into my driveway, the fan came on for about 2 seconds and then stopped. I sat in the car and the fan never came back on. Tried manually adjusting the fan....nothing. I hit the defrost button to see if it would work and the fan came on. After that, the heater fan worked in auto and manual modes. It may be premature, but I am already starting to research the NJ lemon law just in case. It's a shame because I really like the car, but this is a $35,000+ vehicle and I should not have to be wasting my time dealing with things like this....this isn't feeling right.
Unread 12-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

I can tell you from my research that Lemon Law and specifically in NJ requires the same issue 3 times to be reported and attempted to be fixed before you can make a claim. Once you hit that 3 problems though NJ offers a task force who will review your case and help file.

So you'll need to take the Jeep in 3 times for the same problem first. Keep every receipt showing the customer complaint and the dealership's findings to ensure you can prove your case. For example with me, all 4 times I took my other car in for a specific problem, it shows both my complaint (same one each time) and then the outcome of the fix (or non fix in some cases).

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp/lemonlaw.htm

Is your heat not working or you just don't hear the fan coming on? The fan won't always run but if you're blowing hot air then no issue. Especially in these temps and I see you're near me so I know it's been cold.
Unread 12-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
tptman
2014 KL Cherokee 

Thanks again. The fan never comes on, even if I manually override with the knob or soft keys. I tried increasing the temp setting to see if that helped, but still nothing. It's freezing in the car even after driving for 30 minutes or more. Will post an update when I have more info.
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #8
tptman
2014 KL Cherokee 

Update: Still having issues with blower not operating properly. Came on after 40 minute drive this morning (upper 20s/low 30s outside temp). Check engine light has reappeared also. Took the car back to the dealer and the technician told me he is getting codes that relate to the blower circuit/module. He also said that the ck engine light is on that same circuit. He is going to reach out to Chrysler’s technical team for advice before replacing parts that may or may not correct the problem. I was given a Chrysler case number by the service advisor in the event that I need to speak with someone about the problem. Service expects to have an answer in a day or two.
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tptman View Post
Update: Still having issues with blower not operating properly. Came on after 40 minute drive this morning (upper 20s/low 30s outside temp). Check engine light has reappeared also. Took the car back to the dealer and the technician told me he is getting codes that relate to the blower circuit/module. He also said that the ck engine light is on that same circuit. He is going to reach out to Chryslerís technical team for advice before replacing parts that may or may not correct the problem. I was given a Chrysler case number by the service advisor in the event that I need to speak with someone about the problem. Service expects to have an answer in a day or two.
That sucks...it seems the new model gremlins are alive and well in the new Cherokee. (Or the Jeep gods are taking out revenge )

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
tptman
2014 KL Cherokee 

Yep...sucks big time. Car has been in the shop since last Wed. After consultation with Chrysler, they determined that the blower motor and blower module had to be replaced. They also said that the ck engine light is on the same circuit as the blower, so that is why the light was coming on. In additional to all of this, the collision warning system is not working no matter how I have it set. I rapidly approached a car at a stop light and nothing....no brake assist, warning, etc. Maybe I'll get lucky and find out that this system is on the blower circuit also! So far, my experience with the 2014 Cherokee has been a big disappointment. Was really looking forward to enjoying my new Jeep and hopefully, that day will still come.
Unread 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
tptman
2014 KL Cherokee 

Another quick update...they replaced the blower module and motor and guess what, the problem remains unresolved! Car has been in the shop over two weeks now and they are now telling me that the problem might be a loose ground or short somewhere. They said the blower motor comes on and off when making a right turn. Getting very close to filing a lemon law claim. Any advice would be appreciated.
Unread 04-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #12
Liana46

Updates?

Hi....anything new on your situation?
Liana46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
Scottlarock

How to get a jeep cherokee out of ship mode

Hold up arrow on the left of the steering wheel while also holding hazard defrost and tune/enter knob all for about 10 seconds.... it will reboot it into regular mode make sure the brightness is turned up aswell!!
Scottlarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #14
Scottlarock

yes i wrote the answer under you
Scottlarock is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.