1 Day Old, Transmission Issues - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > 1 Day Old, Transmission Issues

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #91
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbob View Post
FWIW, about a week ago Chrysler fired the VP of transmissions and a couple of his highest ranking minions over this KL transmission issue. Does that sound like it's a minor issue? And the lemon law attorney/vultures are already circling.
Yes, it does still seem minor to me. I know there are plenty more trouble free one's than those making a thread on some Jeep forum every time their transmission has an odd shift. 90% of the threads I see are people complaining before even getting past the Cherokee's learning period which GREATLY smooths the transmission out. If the dealers would be telling these people what to expect it would eliminate a LOT of the headache and complaining.

bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #92
rawdin
2014 KL Cherokee 

On my 2014 Cherokee LTD. I was told the following "it was considered a star case, which means its not been reported in any of the models out there in the US. My dealership is speaking with Chrysler/Dodge engineers. The last remark was replace the transmission, it could possible have a pin hole in it. But they are still doing test"....meanwhile I'm stuck in a Dart!
rawdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #93
jeepster910
2014 KL Cherokee 

As far as transmissions go...........
My Limited 4x4 w/AD2 has been Ok.
Built 12/11 delivered 12/23 and picked up 12/26.
Some issues with the adaptive learning on the transmission with rough shifts from 1/2/3. At one point the vehicle was hesitating occasionally after a start, gears 1/2. It felt like it had stalled out.
Almost like it could not decide which gear to use. That only happened 3 or 4 times over a week. By 450 miles the shifting had smoothed out. Miles 80-350 were highway (50-55) going home from the dealer.
I am at 900 miles and can not even tell most of the time that it is shifting, especially after it has warmed up.
The VP of transmissions leaving Chrysler probably had more to do with the transmission not being ready for prime time as far as the software goes. Chrysler wants a 100% functioning vehicle out of the gate.
Had this software been 100% ready for prime time Most of these threads would not exist.
It would be interesting to see the build dates on the Cherokees that had to go back for software updates to fix shifting issues etc. With luck most of those issues have been addressed and are behind us.
I know there was a software update around my mfg./delivery date, and with luck it got done.
Then there are the issues I have heard of with leaks. I usually watch very carefully after delivery for those especially around the transmission fluid couplings to the radiator.
Since this transmission has no dip stick to check transmission fluid levels it is imperative to be very aware of any signs of leaks. A loss of fluid will cause rough shifting etc. and damage, resulting in a transmission replacement. Also as a totally new vehicle (engine/trans combo), I am sure Chrysler wants the transmission back for a forensic analysis on any major issue inside of it.
I still wish they had some way to keep tabs on the fluid, sealed transmission or not.
Overall this is a great vehicle and handles great in snow. I had a Grand Cherokee V8 w/off road suspension and AT tires before this Cherokee.
I do hope all the transmission issues are behind us. As I am a firm believer that if the software was misaligned and causing very bad shifting and/or other very bad issues that could possibly cause mechanical damage to the unit.
jeepster910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #94
sanmy1412

No dipstick? Thats a bit dumb it seems.
sanmy1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #95
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmy1412
At least they don't ask you to pay extra for one like Audi, my A4 didn't have a dipstick either but it did show fluid level on the dash.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #96
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmy1412 View Post
It does seem dumb, but it is unfortunately becoming more and more common for new vehicles to come without a transmission dipstick. Some vehicles (BMW, and possibly others) don't even have oil dip sticks anymore.
dmill89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:47 AM   #97
jeepster910
2014 KL Cherokee 

Yep, it would not be too bad as 2000 XJ Cherokee said if they at least could show the fluid level electronically. But still nothing is as good as the old dip stick.
But again I don't think I have ever had to add Trans fluid to any of my last 3 Jeeps. The only time fluid was touched was on fluid changes at 25,000 miles because of towing.
Again most drivers do not want to mess with that stuff. I just hope the fluid is really lifetime. I will change it at 50,000 regardless.
jeepster910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #98
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
It does seem dumb, but it is unfortunately becoming more and more common for new vehicles to come without a transmission dipstick. Some vehicles (BMW, and possibly others) don't even have oil dip sticks anymore.
Lexus don't have tranny dipsticks. Rear-drive Mopars (300, Challenger, Charger) with the NAG-1 automatic have a dipstick TUBE, but no stick. At the dealer they put a probe down it that measures the level and calculates whether its correct based on what the tranny control module says the fluid temperature is!

Its getting silly, but these 5- 6- and now 9-speed automatics need a more precise fluid fill vs. temperature than you can get with eyeballing a stick and ASSuming that the transmission is fully warmed up.
2001 Cherokee Sport automatic 4x2 (sold)
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #99
FPJR

Hi
FPJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #100
FPJR

[QUOTE="FPJR"]Hi[ i appreciate your post! I love the way the 2014 jeep trailhawk looks AND its capabilities! I was considering buying it! But on your feedback and some comments on youtube saying wait at least 1 year before buying, i think ill wait. Who wants to invest so much money for a headache?! And you know what? When i test drove the trailhawk, there was another 2014 model and BOTH top signal light lenses had condensation inside!! BOTH LENSES! Incojldnt believe it! I spoke my mind to the manager and he tried to down play it saying once the lights are on it would dry up, bla, bla,bla,etc. Ive got a car thats 10 yrs. old and has been in the STREET and my headlamps have no condensation! 10 yrs and the seals have maintained there integrity! I DONT UNDERSTAND JEEP! WHERE IS YOUR QUALITY?! THE MACHINE IS BRAND NEW! UNACCEPTABLE !
FPJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #101
clew
2014 KL Cherokee 

The condensation is normal due to climate changes from the factory to the destination, and does go away as many owners have attested. Its not just a Cherokee thing either. If that is what is stopping you, then I don't know what to tell ya.
clew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #102
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Our brand new CAT CT660 trucks do the same thing. Its due to the climate change with humidity. My WJ's and Mazdaspeed headlights do the same thing especially in the summer when it gets swampy outside.

Also, you do realize all light housings on a vehicle have breathers right? When the lights come on the condensation evaporates like normal. Its not a big deal.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #103
BFJeep
2014 KL Cherokee 

2014 Cherokee Transmission Issue

Two weeks after buying my first ever Jeep Latitude, I too died on the highway. Managed to restart and return back to the house.

I had the vehicle towed back to the dealer the next day. Upon inspection the dealer decided that the issue was a known TSB and there was a software update that was never applied to the car. It should have been applied before leaving the factory, but......

I have not seen the issue return, but it seems to me that now I feel the 9-speed transmission changing gears, where it was much smoother before the problem. The car was so new and my time behind the wheel short - I may have just been hearing/feeling things that were there all along.
BFJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #104
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJeep View Post
Two weeks after buying my first ever Jeep Latitude, I too died on the highway. Managed to restart and return back to the house.

I had the vehicle towed back to the dealer the next day. Upon inspection the dealer decided that the issue was a known TSB and there was a software update that was never applied to the car. It should have been applied before leaving the factory, but......

I have not seen the issue return, but it seems to me that now I feel the 9-speed transmission changing gears, where it was much smoother before the problem. The car was so new and my time behind the wheel short - I may have just been hearing/feeling things that were there all along.

Beacon Falls! You like Antonio's?

My Cherokee is back at the dealership with the same transmission issues and many other minor issues (steering wheel makes a rubbing sound, rattle from front of car, high pitched buzzing sound after I turn it off, drivers seats moves back after I adjust electronically)
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #105
NHJeepOwner
2014 KL Cherokee 

We bought a new Trailhawk on January 31st. It was towed the next day because it wouldn't start and left me stranded in a parking lot. I was told that it was the main computer module and that one would be sent overnight from Chrysler and I would have it back within a couple days. Today I called and was told that the part is on its way, which is the same story I heard last week. It had a little over 300 miles on it. I love the vehicle and am hoping that this isn't going to be an ongoing issue. I depend too much on by vehicle for work and don't have time to run to and from the dealership.
NHJeepOwner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.