1 Day Old, Transmission Issues - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > 1 Day Old, Transmission Issues

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #31
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
This is what happens when they roll out in a hurry.

It's a shame those first pictures of the KL got leaked from the factory because from then on it has been nothing but trying to rush the new product out.

They had computer issues and had to recall the entire line before being sent to dealerships. They had bugs with this new 9 speed but by the time they figured that out, they had already shipped a good chunk of them to market.
Sounds exactly like how the ACA website started out.

Perhaps the same people were in charge of both!

- 2005 Jeep Liberty Renegade Rocky Mountian Edition - gone
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #32
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
I don't think I'd buy one until one or two model years down the road...or until the aftermarket catches up.
That's a shame for the Jeep Cherokee people. I too "was" in the market to buy one until my research revealed these problems.

I'll be buying a 2014 Jeep Compass tomorrow afternoon instead.
Unread 01-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #33
nikkibaby

I have a latitude that I bought a month ago and it's been in the shop for a week and a half getting a new transmission. Looks like Chrysler messed up and aren't taking the necessary steps to make sure this doesn't happen
nikkibaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #34
bruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
That's a shame for the Jeep Cherokee people. I too "was" in the market to buy one until my research revealed these problems.

I'll be buying a 2014 Jeep Compass tomorrow afternoon instead.
Ew. I'd rather a Cherokee with problems than the Compass. lol
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #35
overland_HO
2013 WK 

sorry to hear that man. Hope they get it figured out for you, its a first run year, there is going to be issues...Im sure once they work out the bugs it will be a nice CrossOver! There growing on me for sure!
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #36
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by overland_HO View Post
sorry to hear that man. Hope they get it figured out for you, its a first run year, there is going to be issues.!
Issues? The tranny is junk, and having to have it replaced on a brand spanking new vehicle is BS. It's a good way for Jeep to ruin it's reputation and lose a bunch of customers.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #37
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

The GC roll out for that new 8speed was rocky too and people still report problems. I personally haven't had any issues outside of the Adaptive Learning taking to about 1000 miles. It's pretty clean and normal now.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #38
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibaby View Post
I have a latitude that I bought a month ago and it's been in the shop for a week and a half getting a new transmission. Looks like Chrysler messed up and aren't taking the necessary steps to make sure this doesn't happen
Isn't there a way for the Dealership's Service Dept to see what version of software is in the TCM (Transmission Control Module) before selling it ?
Unread 01-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #39
ColoradoKS
2014 KL Cherokee 

Major Transmission Issues as well.

I have a 2014 Trailhawk V6 with 210 miles - have had it for two weeks. Same exact issue just happened to me today going 60 mph on the interstate, suddenly no power/acceleration coming from the gas pedal, every light on the dash display flashing at me, speed dropped like a rock. Had to pull over immediately, was a very dangerous situation. Dash showed "Service Transmission" while the engine light, the parking brake light and the stability control warning lights were all lit as well. Put into park, turned it off, turned it back on in hope of a "reboot" and put into "D" - and dash said something like "cannot shift while car is motion (which it was not) please put car in park", then "Service Engine", "Service Transmission", and some other error. Had to had the police come since the Jeep was unmovable on the shoulder so no one would rear end me - then had to have it towed to the Dealer. Dealer calls and says "it starts up fine". This is insane. What was the feedback from Jeep on your situation BrassMonkey? I am about to tell them to take it back unless they can provide solid proof of an issue and a fix. Unacceptable! Unsafe!!
ColoradoKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #40
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

All Jeep told me was the transmission needed to be replaced. They took the whole unit (transmission) back to Jeep HQ so they could dissect it. Never heard anything after that.

The dealership put a new transmission in and I have not had an issue since. (Took at 1,200 miles trip).

Are they telling you nothing is wrong with your Cherokee?
Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #41
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKS View Post
Major Transmission Issues as well.

I have a 2014 Trailhawk V6 with 210 miles - have had it for two weeks. Same exact issue just happened to me today going 60 mph on the interstate, suddenly no power/acceleration coming from the gas pedal, every light on the dash display flashing at me, speed dropped like a rock.
How many is this now on just this forum ?

Anyone keeping Score ?
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #42
Napoleon1982

Man... all these transmission problem posts are starting to worry me. I'm spoiled driving an Acura (185,000 problem free miles) and don't expect reliability of Jeep to reach that, but still! To have serious transmission problems for a new model really is not acceptable. And it doesn't seem like its one or two cases. Appears there are A LOT. I guess it's probably a smarter idea to look at the Grand Cherokee at this point. I am guessing the Cherokee will need 2 years to work out problems? Chrysler/Jeep better get on that fast, else they will be losing customers left and right.
Napoleon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #43
ColoradoKS
2014 KL Cherokee 

Well, the Dealer called me after it was towed there and said "we just turned it on, nothing's wrong with it?" Asked me to again walk through what had just happened. Said they were going to plug it in and run diagnostics. Heard from them 3 hours later and all they could tell me was they "see TCM (transmission control module?) errors from this afternoon". Apparently they have one Tech who is the only transmission Tech (in a major Denver market I might add) certified on the new Cherokee and he's not even in until tomorrow. They better hire another one at this rate! I asked about a rental car and they said let's wait until our transmission guy looks at it tomorrow. The right answer here would have been YES, no questions asked.

CEO and VP at Chrysler are getting an email from me. I see posts on the Chrysler Twitter page about this issue too. Anyone know the other forums where people are talking about this issue?

Owned a 2012 JGC before this and it had small issues but this is ridiculous. My new car with 200 miles on it should not be in the shop tonight after it almost killed me on the highway.
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #44
diq
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon1982 View Post
Man... all these transmission problem posts are starting to worry me. I'm spoiled driving an Acura (185,000 problem free miles) and don't expect reliability of Jeep to reach that, but still! To have serious transmission problems for a new model really is not acceptable. And it doesn't seem like its one or two cases. Appears there are A LOT. I guess it's probably a smarter idea to look at the Grand Cherokee at this point. I am guessing the Cherokee will need 2 years to work out problems? Chrysler/Jeep better get on that fast, else they will be losing customers left and right.
How many new cars have you bought or researched? Just wondering because practically every manufacturer has teething issues with new models. New engine for BMW? Expect them to blow up and detonate a lot in the first year (E43 M3 anyone?). New transmission for Audi? Teething problems with the 6speed manual introduced with the B5 S4. Same goes for the 6speed auto in the B6 S4. Now, they're considered totally reliable and great machinery. It's not just the Germans, too. I owned a 1990 Toyota 4Runner with a V6 that had continual head gasket problems. It took Toyota 7 years before they admitted a problem and announced a recall.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, all car companies have issues with new problems. It's how they handle the problems that separate the good ones from the bad ones. Let's give Jeep a little slack and see how they respond. If you really aren't comfortable dealing with new model teething issues, I'd advise you look elsewhere. No one's forcing you to buy a KL.
diq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #45
ColoradoKS
2014 KL Cherokee 

Transmission issues fixed? Maybe....

Picked the trailhawk up at the dealer today - here's the update In case others have this issue too with sudden transmission failure while moving at high speeds.

Dealer reflashed the TCM. Claimed that since mine was built on 12/13 there have been two bulletins since with fixes to the transmission control module software. Mine was on software version 13.9 or something as it shipped in late 2013 (anyone know how to tell what version it shipped with?). Newest version for TCM is 14.0 (1st version of 2014 is how that numbering works) so they reflashed it with that. Have to say the dealer was wonderful but still unsure about the trailhawk itself. Service manager also noted a loud scraping I was hearing under the hood when turning was due to a boot not being bolted in place which they also fixed.

We shall see what happens next. I drove it home and it seemed ok but only time will tell. Do note they said they are not issuing a communication for all KL's to get this software fix - it's on a case by case basis and Chrysler has to approve it prior. Scary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.