1 Day Old, Transmission Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > KL Cherokee 2014 & up > 1 Day Old, Transmission Issues

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 12-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

1 Day Old, Transmission Issues

Owned the Jeep (14 V6 Trailhawk) for a total of 12 hours before I had to bring it back to the dealership.

Major transmission issues.

It has cut out on me twice while on the highway 60MPH.
Also, unable to move after shifting from reverse. I can have the gas pedal fully pressed and the Jeep just sits idle. No rev's, no movement. I sat in the middle of a parking lot for 30 minutes trying to get the Jeep to move.

Brassmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
bruceg

This sure is scary having just bought a Cherokee last night...

In for some answers!
bruceg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

Still waiting for a response on what is wrong with it. Hopefully I should have one today. Jeep will not supply me with a rental.
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Why wouldn't Jeep supply you with a rental? That's nonsense however probably dealer subjective. Maybe a call to Jeep directly will help solve that.

Also I've seen some tranny/drivetrain fault issues over on jeepcherokeeclub.com. May want to pay that forum a visit.

Based on your description though that sounds more like engine or PCM type issues. Pushing the gas and getting no response would make me think ECU/throttle position sensor or something related.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

I have been in contact with Jeep directly. They will not approve a rental until they receive a diagnosis from the dealership (I do not see that happening anytime soon). You would think they would just approve a rental seeing that it is a day old.
Unread 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
RallyBud

I have read about one other Cherokee with similar sounding issues. The cause of the other one was a faulty transmission control module. Hopefully it is something simple. Good luck!! Rick
RallyBud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

Looks like it will need a new transmission.
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Homework
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkey
Looks like it will need a new transmission.
So sorry to hear that. Can they give you a new car? Is there a cooling off period in your state?
Homework is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
merft
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
Owned the Jeep (14 V6 Trailhawk) for a total of 12 hours before I had to bring it back to the dealership.

Major transmission issues.

It has cut out on me twice while on the highway 60MPH.
Also, unable to move after shifting from reverse. I can have the gas pedal fully pressed and the Jeep just sits idle. No rev's, no movement. I sat in the middle of a parking lot for 30 minutes trying to get the Jeep to move.
That sucks. There seems to be two common themes associated with the transmission issues. Faulty Transmission Control Modules and loose or poorly grounded wiring (ground blocked by paint).

Most dealerships around me provide a 72 hour ability to return a vehicle, don't know about your location. I would also look at what buyer protections your state has. It sucks that your dealership is not providing a loaner or rental. Most transmission issues are taking upwards of a week to diagnose.

Hope this is resolved soon.
merft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #10
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

not a very good start to to your new jeep, but things like this happen to all brands. they will get you fixed up.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
mcthnif
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'd tell them another vehicle. You bought a new car.
mcthnif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
sfdxsm

2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
I have been in contact with Jeep directly. They will not approve a rental until they receive a diagnosis from the dealership (I do not see that happening anytime soon). You would think they would just approve a rental seeing that it is a day old.
That is the strangest thing I've ever heard. When I call for a service appointment for my Audi or my Mazda6, I request a loaner regardless of the problem and then drive home in the loaner. I'd love to understand the logic behind needing a diagnosis. If the car is having issues, it shouldn't matter. That is, unless Jeep would be planning to charge you for some reason on the loaner if it's not a legit warranty claim for some crazy reason.

But that would be terrible business. I certainly don't pay for loaners on non warranty work on either car. Hell I drove off in a $60k Audi for my loaner and I drive a used A3 that is barely worth $15k.
sfdxsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

yeah I think I'd be pushing hard for a redeal with new cards if isn't resolved pretty darn quick.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
Brassmonkey
2014 KL Cherokee 

3 days and still waiting for Jeep Corporate to approve a rental. Seems silly that a 40 dollar rental needs this kind of approval.
Unread 12-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
jad95
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with you. With it being brand new, and breaking within 12 hours, there should be no "approval period". On the occasion I get work done at the dealer near me, they give me a loaner for my 97 xj if I ask and one's available. However with that being said, I'm sorry that your new cherokee already has a problem. Hopefully this is the only hiccup for you. Keep us posted how everything works out and best of luck!
jad95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.