JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KL Cherokee 2014 & up (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f428/)
-   -   1 Day Old, Transmission Issues (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f428/1-day-old-transmission-issues-1881810/)

Brassmonkey 12-12-2013 06:51 AM

1 Day Old, Transmission Issues

Owned the Jeep (14 V6 Trailhawk) for a total of 12 hours before I had to bring it back to the dealership.

Major transmission issues.

It has cut out on me twice while on the highway 60MPH.
Also, unable to move after shifting from reverse. I can have the gas pedal fully pressed and the Jeep just sits idle. No rev's, no movement. I sat in the middle of a parking lot for 30 minutes trying to get the Jeep to move.

bruceg 12-12-2013 07:09 AM

This sure is scary having just bought a Cherokee last night...

In for some answers!

Brassmonkey 12-12-2013 07:27 AM

Still waiting for a response on what is wrong with it. Hopefully I should have one today. Jeep will not supply me with a rental.

sfdxsm 12-12-2013 07:37 AM

Why wouldn't Jeep supply you with a rental? That's nonsense however probably dealer subjective. Maybe a call to Jeep directly will help solve that.

Also I've seen some tranny/drivetrain fault issues over on jeepcherokeeclub.com. May want to pay that forum a visit.

Based on your description though that sounds more like engine or PCM type issues. Pushing the gas and getting no response would make me think ECU/throttle position sensor or something related.

Brassmonkey 12-12-2013 08:37 AM

I have been in contact with Jeep directly. They will not approve a rental until they receive a diagnosis from the dealership (I do not see that happening anytime soon). You would think they would just approve a rental seeing that it is a day old.

RallyBud 12-12-2013 08:41 AM

I have read about one other Cherokee with similar sounding issues. The cause of the other one was a faulty transmission control module. Hopefully it is something simple. Good luck!! Rick

Brassmonkey 12-12-2013 10:25 AM

Looks like it will need a new transmission. :thumbdown:

Homework 12-12-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brassmonkey
Looks like it will need a new transmission. :thumbdown:

So sorry to hear that. Can they give you a new car? Is there a cooling off period in your state?

merft 12-12-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brassmonkey (Post 18469962)
Owned the Jeep (14 V6 Trailhawk) for a total of 12 hours before I had to bring it back to the dealership.

Major transmission issues.

It has cut out on me twice while on the highway 60MPH.
Also, unable to move after shifting from reverse. I can have the gas pedal fully pressed and the Jeep just sits idle. No rev's, no movement. I sat in the middle of a parking lot for 30 minutes trying to get the Jeep to move.

That sucks. There seems to be two common themes associated with the transmission issues. Faulty Transmission Control Modules and loose or poorly grounded wiring (ground blocked by paint).

Most dealerships around me provide a 72 hour ability to return a vehicle, don't know about your location. I would also look at what buyer protections your state has. It sucks that your dealership is not providing a loaner or rental. Most transmission issues are taking upwards of a week to diagnose.

Hope this is resolved soon.

pentastarguy 12-12-2013 12:49 PM

not a very good start to to your new jeep, but things like this happen to all brands. they will get you fixed up.

mcthnif 12-12-2013 01:13 PM

I'd tell them another vehicle. You bought a new car.

sfdxsm 12-12-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brassmonkey (Post 18472210)
I have been in contact with Jeep directly. They will not approve a rental until they receive a diagnosis from the dealership (I do not see that happening anytime soon). You would think they would just approve a rental seeing that it is a day old.

That is the strangest thing I've ever heard. When I call for a service appointment for my Audi or my Mazda6, I request a loaner regardless of the problem and then drive home in the loaner. I'd love to understand the logic behind needing a diagnosis. If the car is having issues, it shouldn't matter. That is, unless Jeep would be planning to charge you for some reason on the loaner if it's not a legit warranty claim for some crazy reason.

But that would be terrible business. I certainly don't pay for loaners on non warranty work on either car. Hell I drove off in a $60k Audi for my loaner and I drive a used A3 that is barely worth $15k.

chris87xj 12-12-2013 07:39 PM

yeah I think I'd be pushing hard for a redeal with new cards if isn't resolved pretty darn quick.

Brassmonkey 12-13-2013 08:46 AM

3 days and still waiting for Jeep Corporate to approve a rental. Seems silly that a 40 dollar rental needs this kind of approval.

jad95 12-13-2013 08:56 AM

I agree with you. With it being brand new, and breaking within 12 hours, there should be no "approval period". On the occasion I get work done at the dealer near me, they give me a loaner for my 97 xj if I ask and one's available. However with that being said, I'm sorry that your new cherokee already has a problem. Hopefully this is the only hiccup for you. Keep us posted how everything works out and best of luck!

The time now is 06:20 PM.