YJ down on slick rock. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > YJ down on slick rock.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
suzukisquid86

Yj YJ down on slick rock.

Hey guys and gals, I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for this but I'm posting for a buddy that is currently broke on the slick rock trail. He is in need of a mobile welder / welding service. I'm unsure of the exact location on the trail. If anyone is up in the area that can help, he would appreciate it.

suzukisquid86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What is the exact problem?
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
suzukisquid86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
What is the exact problem?
Sorry, I forgot to even say... He broke the end off his passenger side steering knuckle. It is set up with a high steer arm with hymn ends. Its my understanding that the end of the steering arm broke where the steering arm bolt goes thru
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
suzukisquid86

Hes really just looking to get it off the trail and down to the camp ground to meet a tow truck.
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #5
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Where on the trail is the jeep? My pickup can carry the big welder but cannot access most of the trail even in 4wd. I may have to call around in the morning and see who has a 4wd truck that can take my welder down there. Is this a cast steel arm or an aftermarket mild steel add on high steer?
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #6
suzukisquid86

Quote:
Where on the trail is the jeep? My pickup can carry the big welder but cannot access most of the trail even in 4wd. I may have to call around in the morning and see who has a 4wd truck that can take my welder down there. Is this a cast steel arm or an aftermarket mild steel add on high steer?
I was told mild steel aftermarket. Cell reception is pretty spotty up there. I'm here in Stockton, and have only had a few short phone calls that all ended up dropping. I just know that it is on the trail and they are at one of the camp grounds near the lake. They had brought camping gear with them and should be ok for the night. They will have a red XJ and red YJ in camp. The down YJ is blue and the owners name is Brian.
My truck cant make it in either or I'd try and retrieve them myself.
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I will see what I can do.
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #8
suzukisquid86

Quote:
I will see what I can do.
Thank You.
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nick, my yj has a d30 front with a warn hub conversion. I am spring over. It has a ghetto fab arm welded to the factory cast knuckle. It's one of those things that I knew I had to address when I bought it but, 20/20 hindsight sucks. The arm is pretty mangled front recovery attempts. We are hoping to at least get it off of the trail.

I think welding is the way to go. Best cast is borrowing the entire steering setup off of a sprung over high steer d30. I would need both knuckles, drag link, and pitnan arm. I am here with Jaymes, Nate, and Dustin. Thanks Brian 209-774-6944
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #10
suzukisquid86

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelite View Post
Nick, my yj has a d30 front with a warn hub conversion. I am spring over. It has a ghetto fab arm welded to the factory cast knuckle. It's one of those things that I knew I had to address when I bought it but, 20/20 hindsight sucks. The arm is pretty mangled front recovery attempts. We are hoping to at least get it off of the trail.

I think welding is the way to go. Best cast is borrowing the entire steering setup off of a sprung over high steer d30. I would need both knuckles, drag link, and pitnan arm. I am here with Jaymes, Nate, and Dustin. Thanks Brian 209-774-6944
What he said.
Unread 10-20-2013, 01:30 AM   #11
nateyz2000
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nick, I am up here with him... I got up here this evening, so I haven't seen the damage. We do have a second yj with a broken from passenger side axle shaft. So if you do figure something out with welder bring up axle shaft also if you still have a spare. Thanks bud!
[CENTER][B][I]Keep on Keep'in on[/I][/B][/CENTER][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Blue"]Built Not Bought #595[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[CENTER]<><[/CENTER]
nateyz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have any Yj passenger shafts, my spares are converted over to one piece. Is it the inner or outer shaft? And where are you guys? I need to know what vehicle to bring.
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

After two very long and mentally taxing days, it's out. The one time I decided to not tow it up myself it broke. Glad I have AAA. May actually need AA after this weekend too, jk.

We were supposed to have some help from The Joaquin jeepers, but they took off down the trail and never came back. Got them on the cb and they refused to return with help. I was looking to join their club as a family member previously ran it and they are local. My feelings towards them have completely changed. They do not represent their club or trail well with behavior like that.

I know I wasn't hearing things either when they offered help because about 6 other people heard the same thing.

Anyhow, big thanks to Nate, Jaymes, Dustin, and Dane for all the help they provided during those long, tiring, and hungry days.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.