Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Snow Mountain Run in Mendocino National Forest

18K views 255 replies 23 participants last post by  lowranger 
#1 · (Edited)
Snow Mountain Run in Mendocino National Forest, June 22, 2013

Update on Pre-Run:

I did the pre-run to Snow Mountain on Friday, May 31st. The route I planned took much longer than I had anticipated so this will be an overnight run. The first day we'll leave from the Chevron Station in Upper Lake (corner of Hwy 29 and Hwy 20) at 9:30AM on Saturday, June 22nd. We're going to loop around the North side of Snow Mountain Wilderness area, coming out at Stonyford, then through Bear Valley and out onto Hwy 20 at Hwy 16. There's a lot of great views and beautiful country on this trip.

It will take us about 4 ½ hours (approx 44 miles) to get to Bowery Flat where we'll camp which has a small creek. Once we leave the main Bear Creek Road, the remaining 30 miles will be much slower because we'll be in first and second gear.

There are no facilities at Bowery Flat but there is one at West Crockett camp which is about 2 miles from our camp. I chose Bowery Flat because there's a nice open meadow where we will have plenty of room. Once we get to our campsite, there are numerous trails to explore if you want to keep wheelin after you set-up camp. There's also Bear Wallow trailhead that goes into the wilderness area for those of you that like to hike (approx 2 miles from Bowery Flat).

On Sunday, June 23rd we'll leave Bowery Flat at 9:00AM. It will take us approx 6 hours from Bowery Flat to Hwy 20 and 16. We can stop in Stonyford for those that may need gas (it's 73 miles from the starting point at the Chevron Station in Upper Lake to Stonyford).

Total miles from the Chevron Station in Upper Lake to Hwy 20 and 16 is approx 103 miles. You may want to bring extra gas if you plan on exploring some of the other trails once we get into camp. I'll have a map to show you the extra jeep trails right outside of camp. For those of you that may want to hike into the wilderness area, I can show you that on the map as well.

Pictures are on page 7.

Lady drivers are welcome :highfive:

The List:

Goldielocker: CB radio & FRS radio
titomars: CB radio
rosajeep28: CB radio
RonKat: CB radio
villageidiot13: FRS radio
xbcasey: CB radio
FirstsilverLJ: CB radio
Steve and Amy:

See less See more
#25 ·
fast540 said:
I don't know of any paved roads there either but was asking if the run was going to be isolated to the main unpaved fire roads or will we be hitting trail type terrain
We'll be sticking to roads and side roads that are accessible to Jeeps. We won't be taking any "motorcycle" trails. We'll have a more defined route after the pre-run.

#34 ·
Snow Mountain is a Wilderness area surrounded by National Forest. We will be going around the base of it and stopping at one of the trail heads for a break or lunch. Here is a link for the location of the area.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/PA_WIDCo...WIDConsumption&param2=STELPRDB5155112&param3=[Graphic]: Map displaying the Mendocino National Forest and surrounding area.&param4=/Internet/FSE_MEDIA/stelprdb5155112.@p.jpg&param6=null&pname=Forest Service

#46 ·
Its not the same country. Snow mountain is at a much higher elevation than Indian Valley. I rode with Goldielocker about a month ago when she took the Jeep and was doing a pre-run for the Snow Mt. run. She couldn't complete the run because there was too much snow on the north side of Snow Mt. Snow mountain area is all mainly pine trees and oaks. Indian valley is mainly low scrub brush.
She is going to try the pre-run again now that it has warmed up and the snow should be melted by now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.