Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Snow Mountain Run in Mendocino National Forest

18K views 255 replies 23 participants last post by  lowranger 
#1 · (Edited)
Snow Mountain Run in Mendocino National Forest, June 22, 2013

Update on Pre-Run:

I did the pre-run to Snow Mountain on Friday, May 31st. The route I planned took much longer than I had anticipated so this will be an overnight run. The first day we'll leave from the Chevron Station in Upper Lake (corner of Hwy 29 and Hwy 20) at 9:30AM on Saturday, June 22nd. We're going to loop around the North side of Snow Mountain Wilderness area, coming out at Stonyford, then through Bear Valley and out onto Hwy 20 at Hwy 16. There's a lot of great views and beautiful country on this trip.

It will take us about 4 ½ hours (approx 44 miles) to get to Bowery Flat where we'll camp which has a small creek. Once we leave the main Bear Creek Road, the remaining 30 miles will be much slower because we'll be in first and second gear.

There are no facilities at Bowery Flat but there is one at West Crockett camp which is about 2 miles from our camp. I chose Bowery Flat because there's a nice open meadow where we will have plenty of room. Once we get to our campsite, there are numerous trails to explore if you want to keep wheelin after you set-up camp. There's also Bear Wallow trailhead that goes into the wilderness area for those of you that like to hike (approx 2 miles from Bowery Flat).

On Sunday, June 23rd we'll leave Bowery Flat at 9:00AM. It will take us approx 6 hours from Bowery Flat to Hwy 20 and 16. We can stop in Stonyford for those that may need gas (it's 73 miles from the starting point at the Chevron Station in Upper Lake to Stonyford).

Total miles from the Chevron Station in Upper Lake to Hwy 20 and 16 is approx 103 miles. You may want to bring extra gas if you plan on exploring some of the other trails once we get into camp. I'll have a map to show you the extra jeep trails right outside of camp. For those of you that may want to hike into the wilderness area, I can show you that on the map as well.

Pictures are on page 7.

Lady drivers are welcome :highfive:

The List:

Goldielocker: CB radio & FRS radio
titomars: CB radio
rosajeep28: CB radio
RonKat: CB radio
villageidiot13: FRS radio
xbcasey: CB radio
FirstsilverLJ: CB radio
Steve and Amy:

See less See more
#85 ·
Here's are a couple of pictures from our initial pre-run of Snow Mountain we did on March 3rd when we had to turn back because of too much snow. The mountain you see in the distance on one of the photos is Hull Mountain. Also, two pictures of the creeks we crossed.

Attachments

#87 ·
Thanks for the reply Goldie,

That sure is some pretty country. Yeah if we go would be camping. I asked about water because my wife and I like to trap crawdads. Hopefully my Jeep will be all broke in and ready by then. I will keep an eye on here.

#88 ·
Thanks for the reply Goldie,

That sure is some pretty country. Yeah if we go would be camping. I asked about water because my wife and I like to trap crawdads. Hopefully my Jeep will be all broke in and ready by then. I will keep an eye on here.
I've seen areas with crawdads and have always wanted to eat them. Hear they are the "redneck lobster" which I would like ! How do you cook them? Just boil or steam them?

#89 ·
I've seen areas with crawdads and have always wanted to eat them. Hear they are the "redneck lobster" which I would like ! How do you cook them? Just boil or steam them?
OHHH man they are goood:D:D:D

So far we have only boiled them. Basically just treat them like any other fresh seafood. My grandma keeps asking me to fry her some up (that's how she ate them as a kid in Oklahoma). Tis the season and I want to find some new hunting grounds. I've heard tell that in the warmer areas (off the coast) they can get big, real BIG.:eyebulge::eyebulge:

#90 ·
Talk to the rice farmers. When I lived in the Sac valley they would let people come in and gather them. We used to get a couple large coolers full. Then you put them in a container of water to let them clean out. As the water gets nasty switch them to a different container and rotate them till the water stays clean. Then boiling is the best but they can be done like any other shrimp or lobster. We boiled them in a 60 qrt kettle, with a basket in it, crab boil, corn on the cobb, red potatoes lemons and onions. When done you dump the goods on a outdoor table covered in news papper, crack a cold beer and enjoy. Break the head off add a drop of Tabasco suck the juice then eat the tail. Woo some good eatin'. I miss it.

In North Carolina we could get mudd bugs that were about 3-5 inches. It didn't take so many to make dinner.

#91 ·
Update on Pre-Run:

I did the pre-run to Snow Mountain on Friday, May 31st. The route I planned took much longer than I had anticipated so this will be an overnight run. The first day we'll leave from the Chevron Station in Upper Lake (corner of Hwy 29 and Hwy 20) at 9:30AM on Saturday, June 22nd. We're going to loop around the North side of Snow Mountain Wilderness area, coming out at Stonyford, then through Bear Valley and out onto Hwy 20 at Hwy 16. There's a lot of great views and beautiful country on this trip.

It will take us about 4 ½ hours (approx 44 miles) to get to Bowery Flat where we'll camp which has a small creek. Once we leave the main Bear Creek Road, the remaining 30 miles will be much slower because we'll be in first and second gear.

There are no facilities at Bowery Flat but there is one at West Crockett camp which is about 2 miles from our camp. I chose Bowery Flat because there's a nice open meadow where we will have plenty of room. Once we get to our campsite, there are numerous trails to explore if you want to keep wheelin after you set-up camp. There's also Bear Wallow trailhead that goes into the wilderness area for those of you that like to hike (approx 2 miles from Bowery Flat).

On Sunday, June 23rd we'll leave Bowery Flat at 9:00AM. It will take us approx 6 hours from Bowery Flat to Hwy 20 and 16. We can stop in Stonyford for those that may need gas (it's 73 miles from the starting point at the Chevron Station in Upper Lake to Stonyford).

Total miles from the Chevron Station in Upper Lake to Hwy 20 and 16 is approx 103 miles. You may want to bring extra gas if you plan on exploring some of the other trails once we get into camp. I'll have a map to show you the extra jeep trails right outside of camp. For those of you that may want to hike into the wilderness area, I can show you that on the map as well.

Pictures to follow.

#92 ·
Hmmm, if there's no way to break off and head back Saturday night I may have to re-think if I can make this run (sigh, two runs in a row down then since I missed Cow). I'm not totally opposed to camping with the dog even though it will/would be his first run, and I can always toss him to the pet sitter for the weekend if I need to. However I was going to be bringing a friend along and I don't think he's up for overnight and/or camping.

#102 ·
Villageidiot13 said:
Add me and the jeep dog to the list! A special thanks to jimbob, broncobrian and rosajeeps for all the work on my rig :) I can finally quit the heroine i been using to numb the pain of jeeplessness this last month....
No problem my friend anytime. If anyone else wants or needs parts please let me know I work for a jeep dealership!! Even if you want a new one!! Great deals

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.