Rubicon Trail Musts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Rubicon Trail Musts?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
tearin_updirt
Member
 
tearin_updirt's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Ramon, California
Posts: 224
Rubicon Trail Musts?

Hello I am currently rebuilding my jeep after some bad trail damage. And I am still in Highschool, but my goal is now to run the rubicon before I flew the coupe and leave college in Auburn Alabama. WAR EAGLE!!! but this post is just to make sure I have everything I need for the Rubicon in the summer and what I have to save up for.

At the moment
-4.0l 5 speed 98 tj
-np231 t case with sye
-ford 8.8 rear 31 spline 3.73 (open for now)
-dana 30 front 27 spline 3.73 w/aussie locker
-hanson front bumper with ****tybilt xrc 10 (have to rebuild it cant afford new winch)
-33 inch duratrecs
-jks disconnects front

In the mail
-Ox air locker for ford 8.8
-Arb high output compressor kit
-Arb air lines

On the list to buy
-A to Z fabrication ww2ww rock sliders
-Upgraded Front cage
-Body mount tire carrier (i know a guy who can fab on similar to gen rights swing out)

Am I missing anything I need? Also I leave before the Jeep jamboree does anyone know of any other group that runs the rubicon in the summer and wants to take a noob with them?

Edit: I didnt know there was more than one Jeepers Jamboree trail run

__________________
98 TJ Yukon 4.88, Ford 8.8 w/OX, Dana 30 w/Aussie
Always Down to Hammer Down with My 5 speed

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #2
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?
 
Mr.B's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 3,302
Recovery strap
Hi-lift jack
Spare parts

Those Duratracs aren't ideal, but will be ok.

Here's a group that does the Rubicon every summer.

http://www.norcaljeepers.co/index.php

Easy trip, the way we do it.
__________________
.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
tearin_updirt
Member
 
tearin_updirt's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Ramon, California
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
Recovery strap
Hi-lift jack
Spare parts

Those Duratracs aren't ideal, but will be ok.

Here's a group that does the Rubicon every summer.

http://www.norcaljeepers.co/index.php

Easy trip, the way we do it.
What time do you guys usually run it? also I am planning purchase u joints/extra radiator hoses/ fan belt/ coolant/ oil closer to the date I leave or when I find a sale. What other parts would you reccommend?
__________________
98 TJ Yukon 4.88, Ford 8.8 w/OX, Dana 30 w/Aussie
Always Down to Hammer Down with My 5 speed

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?
 
Mr.B's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 3,302
I'm going to push for July 31st, through Aug. 3rd, since I have that time off.

I'd say some D30 shafts are good to carry. It's really tough to change axle u-joints on the trail. Maybe a crank position sensor. I don't know much about TJ's, so maybe someone else can add some.
__________________
.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
tearin_updirt
Member
 
tearin_updirt's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Ramon, California
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I'm going to push for July 31st, through Aug. 3rd, since I have that time off.

I'd say some D30 shafts are good to carry. It's really tough to change axle u-joints on the trail. Maybe a crank position sensor. I don't know much about TJ's, so maybe someone else can add some.
I know you can change them with a c-clamp and a socket! Also okay I will just check out the site man thanks
__________________
98 TJ Yukon 4.88, Ford 8.8 w/OX, Dana 30 w/Aussie
Always Down to Hammer Down with My 5 speed

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
Anticanman
Follow me
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 19,230
How many threads do you need on the subject?
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
tearin_updirt
Member
 
tearin_updirt's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Ramon, California
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
How many threads do you need on the subject?
Two
__________________
98 TJ Yukon 4.88, Ford 8.8 w/OX, Dana 30 w/Aussie
Always Down to Hammer Down with My 5 speed

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
408jeeper
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 361
I see you have an Aussie in your Dana 30, does it click loudly when in 4wd offroad when you turn slightly
408jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
tearin_updirt
Member
 
tearin_updirt's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Ramon, California
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408jeeper View Post
I see you have an Aussie in your Dana 30, does it click loudly when in 4wd offroad when you turn slightly
No I have not had any super loud clicking from it sometimes it chirps but not as bad as many say its loudness will be on the forum. I totally recommend it to anyone looking for a locker in the front on a budget
__________________
98 TJ Yukon 4.88, Ford 8.8 w/OX, Dana 30 w/Aussie
Always Down to Hammer Down with My 5 speed

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
408jeeper
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearin_updirt
No I have not had any super loud clicking from it sometimes it chirps but not as bad as many say its loudness will be on the forum. I totally recommend it to anyone looking for a locker in the front on a budget
I was asking because I just installed an Aussie in my Dana 30 and went out to hollister today and it clicks pretty loud every time I turn while in 4WD, maybe it has too break in?
408jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
tearin_updirt
Member
 
tearin_updirt's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Ramon, California
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408jeeper View Post

I was asking because I just installed an Aussie in my Dana 30 and went out to hollister today and it clicks pretty loud every time I turn while in 4WD, maybe it has too break in?
Did you install or pay someone? Also what gear oil you running? You cant forget it will be much louder than having an open diff
__________________
98 TJ Yukon 4.88, Ford 8.8 w/OX, Dana 30 w/Aussie
Always Down to Hammer Down with My 5 speed

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #12
408jeeper
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearin_updirt
Did you install or pay someone? Also what gear oil you running? You cant forget it will be much louder than having an open diff
I installed it myself and I am running 85-140 gear oil
408jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 01:36 AM   #13
tearin_updirt
Member
 
tearin_updirt's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Ramon, California
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408jeeper View Post

I installed it myself and I am running 85-140 gear oil
Did you make sure all the springs snapped in place ? Maybe one isn't fly snapped in creating a little slip hence making the noise
__________________
98 TJ Yukon 4.88, Ford 8.8 w/OX, Dana 30 w/Aussie
Always Down to Hammer Down with My 5 speed

Little Mudder
tearin_updirt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
408jeeper
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearin_updirt
Did you make sure all the springs snapped in place ? Maybe one isn't fly snapped in creating a little slip hence making the noise
I will open up my diff and check
408jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.