Northern California trail runs starter thread: - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Northern California trail runs starter thread:

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #46
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Jimbob, what do you think that Sherwood road would be like in the winter from Willits to Fort Bragg?
I was kinda thinking about doing a day run on some back roads, like from Redwood Valley out Tomki road coming out in Willits. And then from Willits to Fort Bragg on the Sherwood road and then from Fort Bragg take the Ukiah Comptche road to Ukiah and then from Ukiah over Cow Mountain back to Lakeport. No pre-scouting or nothing.... just go for it. Have lunce in Fort Bragg.
Thoughts ??

lowranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #47
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowranger View Post
Hey Jimbob, what do you think that Sherwood road would be like in the winter from Willits to Fort Bragg?
I was kinda thinking about doing a day run on some back roads, like from Redwood Valley out Tomki road coming out in Willits. And then from Willits to Fort Bragg on the Sherwood road and then from Fort Bragg take the Ukiah Comptche road to Ukiah and then from Ukiah over Cow Mountain back to Lakeport. No pre-scouting or nothing.... just go for it. Have lunce in Fort Bragg.
Thoughts ??
I'll have to check, but I think they close the gates to Sherwood Rd. in the winter months. Could be a nice day trip, and we'll love Fort Bragg! Lunch at Piaci's, Yum!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #48
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Who do you check with? County roads or U.S. Forest Service or both?
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #49
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Who do you check with? County roads or U.S. Forest Service or both?
Sherwood Rd is a Mendocino County road, so DOT Mendocino, but it's closed till May, I checked. There is this other road, Irmulco Rd. Haven't taken it, but could be a way thru for the adventurous!

Unread 12-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #50
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They close the Scott's Valley/Lakeport side in bad weather cause you gotta cross the creek.
89YJBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #51
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, they do close this side of Cow Mt. in the winter when the creek is too high. We'll have to check the day before we leave so we know if coming back over Cow Mt. is an option or not.
Unread 12-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #52
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jimbob, I've heard of that road. It's off Hwy 20 west of Willits right? If it's the same road I'm thinking of I didn't know it went through. I'll have to check it out.
Thanks for checking on the Sherwood road.
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #53
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jimbob.... that is the road I was thinking of. Irmulco road doesn't look like it goes all the way through. It comes "really" close to Sherwood road. Maybe we can take a chain saw and connect them.
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #54
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe a second option. Looks like Little Lake road comes off of S.R. 20 and goes down to Hwy 1. And then on the other side of the Bridge/River the Ukiah/Comptche road takes off and goes back towards Ukiah.
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #55
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder View Post
They close the Scott's Valley/Lakeport side in bad weather cause you gotta cross the creek.
Well well, welcome to the dark side Jason!

Unread 12-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #56
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe a second option. Looks like Little Lake road comes off of S.R. 20 and goes down to Hwy 1. And then on the other side of the Bridge/River the Ukiah/Comptche road takes off and goes back towards Ukiah.
That could work. There's also Low Gap rd from Ukiah. We went on that one for a bit but ended up cutting thru to the LP logging road cause it was getting scary with the pot growers.

Unread 12-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #57
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was wanting to find a road out of Willits or Hwy 20 so we could go up to Willits the back way via the Tomki road out of Redwood Valley. Then out to the coast then back through Ukiah then over Cow Mt. if Scotts creek is open. I'll give it some thought, there are a lot of back roads to the coast and back.
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #58
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was wanting to find a road out of Willits or Hwy 20 so we could go up to Willits the back way via the Tomki road out of Redwood Valley. Then out to the coast then back through Ukiah then over Cow Mt. if Scotts creek is open. I'll give it some thought, there are a lot of back roads to the coast and back.
Very true. Cindy and I have been on a few. We go to Fort Bragg a lot and like to mix it up sometimes. Orr Springs road is one for example, but it's paved. I always wanted to find other trails to the coast, but most of the time we are solo, so I haven't explored many, which is why we usually take the safer routes.

Unread 12-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #59
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Let us know when you want to go again, and we'll tag along and get wild and crazy and not take the safe route.
Unread 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #60
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Let us know when you want to go again, and we'll tag along and get wild and crazy and not take the safe route.
Will do! We'll live on the wild side, lol! Any trail that leads me to Piaci's is ok in my book! Best pizza on the planet!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.