Northern California trail runs starter thread: - Page 21 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 365 Old 06-01-2013, 12:27 AM
kennyboobear
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomps View Post
Start a run based off some new trails on your maps hahaha I used to be in to paper maps but my gps systems seem to be more accurate
I have a GPS unit as well. Unfortunately a GPS unit won't tell you what roads are legal for OHVs. Once you get off the grid, GPS is really only good for coordinate based tracking. The two in conjunction are awesome though

And it's funny you mention that, should I start a thread? We're planning (girlfriend and I) to head out to King's Canyon/Hume Lake area for the 9th-11th for camping/wheeling. Perhaps I'll start a thread and see how much interest it garners :P

Link to thread to come shortly.

Edit:

Hume Lake - August 9-11 http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/...-11th-1530835/


SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.
My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build
kennyboobear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 365 Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Gofish TJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 230
Great area, beautiful scenery. I'm always up in the area, check out the Giant Sequoias. Hume Lake always has good fishing.
Gofish TJ is offline  
post #303 of 365 Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 AM
kennyboobear
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofish TJ View Post
Great area, beautiful scenery. I'm always up in the area, check out the Giant Sequoias. Hume Lake always has good fishing.
That's the plan!

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.
My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build
kennyboobear is offline  
post #304 of 365 Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 AM
JDXX
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fort Bragg
Posts: 82
Quote:
Total price on the Mendocino National Forest set will be $46 for anyone in the state of CA, shipped!
That sounds great, let me know where to send payment. My wife and I want to explore and these maps will be perfect.

DIE TRYING
JDXX is offline  
post #305 of 365 Old 06-01-2013, 10:46 AM
jkthomps
Member
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Concord
Posts: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post

I have a GPS unit as well. Unfortunately a GPS unit won't tell you what roads are legal for OHVs. Once you get off the grid, GPS is really only good for coordinate based tracking. The two in conjunction are awesome though

And it's funny you mention that, should I start a thread? We're planning (girlfriend and I) to head out to King's Canyon/Hume Lake area for the 9th-11th for camping/wheeling. Perhaps I'll start a thread and see how much interest it garners :P

Link to thread to come shortly.

Edit:

Hume Lake - August 9-11 http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/...-11th-1530835/
Hahaha I am just bustin your balls. I have a ton of maps but when roads are closed and new roads are created my maps paper maps do not update I have a great offroad mapping system... it is called Jim and Gene... as long as we are together we will always find our way take that anyway you want haha.

I am down for camping and fishing. Let me research Hume lake and I will let you know if I can go.

Oh and I might be in on your map deals. I will PM you later. Thanks!
jkthomps is offline  
post #306 of 365 Old 06-01-2013, 07:49 PM
kennyboobear
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkthomps View Post

Hahaha I am just bustin your balls. I have a ton of maps but when roads are closed and new roads are created my maps paper maps do not update I have a great offroad mapping system... it is called Jim and Gene... as long as we are together we will always find our way take that anyway you want haha.

I am down for camping and fishing. Let me research Hume lake and I will let you know if I can go.

Oh and I might be in on your map deals. I will PM you later. Thanks!
Believe me, I took it with a grain of salt haha. But yea, do let me know on both accounts. The more the merrier!


SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.
My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build
kennyboobear is offline  
post #307 of 365 Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
bobthetj03
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NorCal
Posts: 5,284
We may not always know where we are going, but we have fun going there! LOL!

Bob's boring build:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline  
post #308 of 365 Old 06-02-2013, 02:25 PM
89YJBuilder
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rathdrum
Posts: 678
Garage
Some times it better if you are "temporarily disorientated" you find cool places that you otherwise would not have.

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
89YJBuilder is offline  
post #309 of 365 Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM
kennyboobear
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
We may not always know where we are going, but we have fun going there! LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder View Post
Some times it better if you are "temporarily disorientated" you find cool places that you otherwise would not have.


So very true, though.

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.
My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build
kennyboobear is offline  
post #310 of 365 Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Gofish TJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 230
DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL- this is what I found out. The trail is approx. 30 miles, so your looking at 3 full days of wheeling. The trail is between Courtright Lake and Kaiser Mtn. which is east of Fresno. At least 33" tires and one locker recommended. It is very beautiful scenery and plenty of lakes along the trail to set up camp and fish. There have been jeepers with 32's and no lockers able to make it. The trail doesn't open till middle of August. I was thinking August 31 to Sept. 2. I believe that's Labor Day weekend. Figure most ppl have a 3 day weekend.
Gofish TJ is offline  
post #311 of 365 Old 06-13-2013, 11:32 PM
kennyboobear
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofish TJ View Post
DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL- this is what I found out. The trail is approx. 30 miles, so your looking at 3 full days of wheeling. The trail is between Courtright Lake and Kaiser Mtn. which is east of Fresno. At least 33" tires and one locker recommended. It is very beautiful scenery and plenty of lakes along the trail to set up camp and fish. There have been jeepers with 32's and no lockers able to make it. The trail doesn't open till middle of August. I was thinking August 31 to Sept. 2. I believe that's Labor Day weekend. Figure most ppl have a 3 day weekend.
I could be down for that. A buddy was just telling me about wheeling around Courtright Lake so that would be quite splendid, old chap!

But seriously, I'm down.

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.
My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build
kennyboobear is offline  
post #312 of 365 Old 06-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Gofish TJ
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 230
There are other trails around that area that aren't as long, from day trips to overnight trips. Look on YouTube for Coyote Lake, Bald Mtn, Red Lake, Strawberry Lake, Swamp Lake. Most are moderate to difficult. Coyote and Swamp are equal to maybe even more difficult the Slick Rock. All offer up great trout fishing too.
Gofish TJ is offline  
post #313 of 365 Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 AM
IndyBanipal
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofish TJ
DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL- this is what I found out. The trail is approx. 30 miles, so your looking at 3 full days of wheeling. The trail is between Courtright Lake and Kaiser Mtn. which is east of Fresno. At least 33" tires and one locker recommended. It is very beautiful scenery and plenty of lakes along the trail to set up camp and fish. There have been jeepers with 32's and no lockers able to make it. The trail doesn't open till middle of August. I was thinking August 31 to Sept. 2. I believe that's Labor Day weekend. Figure most ppl have a 3 day weekend.
Sounds like fun! If nothing major comes up on Labor Day, I'll go for sure.
IndyBanipal is offline  
post #314 of 365 Old 06-16-2013, 02:53 PM
lowranger
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeport
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDXX View Post
Hi there,

I would be interested in a set of maps just like those on your table.
Could you ship to 95437? I used to go out into some of that country years ago with my dad and grandpa hunting.

Anybody know anything about boar hunting in the national forest? Something the wife and I are interested in doing.

Let me know if you can do the maps for me.

Thanks
I don't know of any good pig hunting areas in the National Forest. Most all good pig hunting areas are on private land.
lowranger is offline  
post #315 of 365 Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM
flyinion
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 233
In case you didn't hear about it, Metal Cloak is putting on a "Skillz Day" event at Prairie City this weekend. I'll be up there, anyone else going? I started a thread here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/...-city-1539491/ just now. I know it's kinda last minute, but I'm just curious if anyone else is going and I haven't seen it posted on any of the forums that I visit. Seems like a pretty good deal, pay the $5 to the State at the entrance and the whole thing including food is free.

2012 BFG JKU Sport with S package + extras
flyinion is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome