Northern California trail runs starter thread: - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Northern California trail runs starter thread:

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 02-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #241
kennyboobear
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAugie View Post
Not sure what southbay driveline charges but I'm scoring a front driveline from Jason at Krawl Off Road. Give him shout out and he will give you the info. It's worth looking into. That, does cost anything. Mine will be here Wed
May look into it but I've had South Bay do some work in the past and they do a grand job of it. If nothing else I'll be going to Drivelines Inc in Mission Viejo, but am fairly sure South Bay will be able to fab me up some beef. He's a stand up guy that warrants all his work, and they're local!

He built some shafts for a buddy's Mog that are other worldly lol

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.
My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #242
MrAugie
2012 JK Wrangler 

Can I ask what kinda price for a front DS?

1310 or 1350? Just for info. I'm not looking to open some debate.
MrAugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #243
kennyboobear
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAugie View Post
Can I ask what kinda price for a front DS?

1310 or 1350? Just for info. I'm not looking to open some debate.
I'd assume fairly competitive prices. Bear in mind that Krawl is simply a reseller of other mass produced products, as opposed to a driveline shop specializing in just that. Generally, the Tom Wood's front shaft for a TJ goes for about 350.

In this case, I'll have a scratch built front DC driveline built, likely with thicker walls than the TW front shaft for right around 350 in cash. I'll confirm this after I talk to both them, and also drivelines inc tomorrow.
Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #244
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can you squeeze a 1350 joint on the front DS of a TJ?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM   #245
kennyboobear
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Can you squeeze a 1350 joint on the front DS of a TJ?
I guess you could if you changed the output yoke on the D30 and likewise on the TCase.

That said, I'd rather the weak link be the U Joints than the tube itself. U Joints are a dime a dozen when you figure the cost of a centering kit, tube, fab work etc. haha

At the end of the day it's not about creating something that doesn't break, as the only way you can stop it from breaking is by leaving it in the garage. I think the real task is setting things up so that when something DOES break, it's a weak link you left in place, as that weak link was the least expensive/easiest thing to replace.

For the same reason, I won't be doing 35 splines in my 44. The breaking point ends up becoming the carrier/locker/spider gears, and frankly that's a hell of a lot more expensive/difficult to replace than an axle shaft

Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #246
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboobear View Post
I guess you could if you changed the output yoke on the D30 and likewise on the TCase.

That said, I'd rather the weak link be the U Joints than the tube itself. U Joints are a dime a dozen when you figure the cost of a centering kit, tube, fab work etc. haha

At the end of the day it's not about creating something that doesn't break, as the only way you can stop it from breaking is by leaving it in the garage. I think the real task is setting things up so that when something DOES break, it's a weak link you left in place, as that weak link was the least expensive/easiest thing to replace.

For the same reason, I won't be doing 35 splines in my 44. The breaking point ends up becoming the carrier/locker/spider gears, and frankly that's a hell of a lot more expensive/difficult to replace than an axle shaft

Makes sence to me!

Unread 02-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #247
123nanez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey after that hollister trip. Whenever I accelerate from a complete stop, something from my rear end feels broken or shakes. The more I accelerate from a complete stop the more I here this thumping noise. After like 5-10 mph though it disappears. Only happens at the beggining and only from a complete stop. Anyone know what it can be? Bent driveshaft? And thing broken in axle? Or I joints. My driveshaft is stuff on their so the u joints are loose or broken but idk
123nanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #248
Gofish TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123nanez
Hey after that hollister trip. Whenever I accelerate from a complete stop, something from my rear end feels broken or shakes. The more I accelerate from a complete stop the more I here this thumping noise. After like 5-10 mph though it disappears. Only happens at the beggining and only from a complete stop. Anyone know what it can be? Bent driveshaft? And thing broken in axle? Or I joints. My driveshaft is stuff on their so the u joints are loose or broken but idk
I would inspect the u-joints, maybe pull the diff cover off look for any kind of metal shavings. Could be the bearing. Don't wait to long could get worse and turn into more $.
Gofish TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #249
123nanez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have to drain the fluids if I remove the cover correct?
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #250
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Another new run in the works.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/...013-a-1474876/

Unread 02-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #251
123nanez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123nanez
Whoops this sometimes auto corrects my words wrong. But the u joints seem good because the driveshaft dosent move at all with my hand.
Unread 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #252
123nanez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofish TJ

I would inspect the u-joints, maybe pull the diff cover off look for any kind of metal shavings. Could be the bearing. Don't wait to long could get worse and turn into more $.
Not too familiar with axle specifics. But what bearings?
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #253
Gofish TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

They are the axle bearings on the inner pinion and outer pinion. You'll have to drain the oil and pull the cover. There may be others on here that know a little more. Anyone want to chime in?
Gofish TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #254
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would chime in, but I want to keep this thread on track. Sorry guys. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Unread 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #255
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's another one....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/.../#post14921102

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.