Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

NorCal Run: 2nd Annual Cow Mountain Trail Run, May 4th, 2013

53K views 1K replies 42 participants last post by  jkthomps 
#1 · (Edited)
NorCal Run: 2nd Annual Cow Mountain Trail Run, May 4th. 2013

Meet at Kmart parking lot in Lakeport, 9:30AM.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2019+South+Main+Street,+Lakeport,+CA&hl=en&ll=39.029086,-122.914267&spn=0.014902,0.037937&sll=39.021851,-122.910576&sspn=0.059614,0.151749&oq=2019+South+main&hnear=2019+S+Main+St,+Lakeport,+Lake,+California+95453&t=m&z=15

April 30th Updated list of participants: Two groups:

The List:

Moderate Trails:

lowranger
flyinion
89YJBuilder
sarath
RonKat
Jcool
spinuck
Jr76
Stone
n00g7
misfit1981
FirstSilverLJ
BoarderMX

Difficult Trails/Pinstripe City:

bobthetj03
Gene13
Kg6mov
titomars
IndyBanipal
SpcRodeo
billybooster2
villageidiot13
408jeeper
RParky
Don
Dave
broncobrian
jkthomps
swartzacon

Round two folks! I thought we'd give it another try and see what kind of trouble we can get into! Provided the gates are open and it's not raining, we will meet up at the Kmart parking lot in Lakeport at 9:30 AM Saturday morning with a 9:45ish departure to the trail head. Once at the trail head, we will break up into groups. The number of jeeps that attend will determine how many groups we will have. My plan is to offer 2 or 3 difficulty levels. We can do "Easy" "Moderate", and "Difficult", or something to that effect. Suggestions on this are welcome. We have plenty of time to plan, so I'm hoping to make this run better than last year.

A couple of volunteers and myself will be executing scouting runs between now and the run date to map trails that will work for said difficulty levels. For those that have never been to Cow Mt., it is an OHV area maintained by the BLM. I use the term "maintained" loosely because many of the trails have been neglected over the years. The website provided below has a map of the area and trail difficulty ratings. These ratings are not exactly true to form anymore. This is why we will be scouting trails to get a better idea of difficulty, and whether they are too overgrown with brush.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media..._pdfs.Par.b7b72dfe.File.dat/South_Cow_Mtn.pdf

At the end of the day, we will all hopefully meet up at the obstacle course on the Ukiah side of the area. There are campsites near by for those who would like to camp, or a short drive into Ukiah will provide hotels off the 101 corridor.

Here are a few highlights from last years run....

Cavavan to the trailhead.

Staged at the trail head.

Playing around in the creek bed.

Lined up at the obstacle course.

See less See more
#760 ·
bobthetj03 said:
Hey Gene, this back trail that Brian speaks of, I wonder if it's the one we were looking at during last year's scouting. Trail 9 I think. We looked at it and decided it was too choked up with brush, but we didn't go on it, just walked up it a bit. It was the one I had a hard time finding off the main road and had to double back to find it. Maybe we'll get a report from Brian and Jimbo tonight if it's passable.
It could be. I look at the map when I get home tonight.

#761 ·
One week to go everyone! Give a shout out if you're ready to go! :2thumbsup:

The List:

Moderate Trails:

lowranger
flyinion
89YJBuilder
sarath
RonKat
Jcool
spinuck
Jr76
Stone
mrkeefer
n00g7
misfit1981
swartzacon
FirstSilverLJ

Difficult Trails/Pinstripe City:

bobthetj03
Gene13
Kg6mov
titomars
IndyBanipal
SpcRodeo
billybooster2
villageidiot13
408jeeper
RParky
Don
Dave
broncobrian
jkthomps

#822 ·
If there is still room, I would like to sign up for the moderate group. I'll be at the K-Mart in lakeport @ 9:30 on May 4th. Please let me know if the meeting location has or will be changed.

Thanks,
Gordon
Got you on the list Gordon. Welcome aboard! :wave:

#767 ·
BoarderMX said:
If there is still room, I would like to sign up for the moderate group. I'll be at the K-Mart in lakeport @ 9:30 on May 4th. Please let me know if the meeting location has or will be changed.

Thanks,
Gordon
Come on down. It's always open to everyone anytime. Just keep am eye on here to see if anything changes. Which it never really does. Lol

#780 ·
broncobrian said:
That was me, I have since went back a posted a pic of the wash out 1st F/B Pic. Bad thing is I don't feel I an a Dirtbag Off Roader. I an always pickin up someone else's trash and don't mind the trimming of the trails.
Same here. Lol

#786 ·
jkthomps said:
You and I have wider wheel bases than most the other guys... I am thinking no doors and my bikini top lol maybe we can do a calander... wide wheel base bikini edition hahaha
If wife goes doors if not then most likely no doors. Lol trail 25 could get very bad! Lol

#791 ·
Won't have time to do trail 25. You guys are nuts going doorless on this one, but to each their own! It's full doors and top up for me with the AC blasting! I think that since Brian spent the time to scout out trail 9 to the obstacle course, we should incorporate this trail into the mix. Since it's still a bit pinstripy, we'll have to discuss options for those that don't want to go that way.

#799 ·
Well I'm just about ready to try and follow brian anywhere. Bit more work on the front bumper and we'll be ready to roll.

And for the record I'm going full doors and top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.