Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

NorCal Run: 2nd Annual Cow Mountain Trail Run, May 4th, 2013

53K views 1K replies 42 participants last post by  jkthomps 
#1 · (Edited)
NorCal Run: 2nd Annual Cow Mountain Trail Run, May 4th. 2013

Meet at Kmart parking lot in Lakeport, 9:30AM.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2019+South+Main+Street,+Lakeport,+CA&hl=en&ll=39.029086,-122.914267&spn=0.014902,0.037937&sll=39.021851,-122.910576&sspn=0.059614,0.151749&oq=2019+South+main&hnear=2019+S+Main+St,+Lakeport,+Lake,+California+95453&t=m&z=15

April 30th Updated list of participants: Two groups:

The List:

Moderate Trails:

lowranger
flyinion
89YJBuilder
sarath
RonKat
Jcool
spinuck
Jr76
Stone
n00g7
misfit1981
FirstSilverLJ
BoarderMX

Difficult Trails/Pinstripe City:

bobthetj03
Gene13
Kg6mov
titomars
IndyBanipal
SpcRodeo
billybooster2
villageidiot13
408jeeper
RParky
Don
Dave
broncobrian
jkthomps
swartzacon

Round two folks! I thought we'd give it another try and see what kind of trouble we can get into! Provided the gates are open and it's not raining, we will meet up at the Kmart parking lot in Lakeport at 9:30 AM Saturday morning with a 9:45ish departure to the trail head. Once at the trail head, we will break up into groups. The number of jeeps that attend will determine how many groups we will have. My plan is to offer 2 or 3 difficulty levels. We can do "Easy" "Moderate", and "Difficult", or something to that effect. Suggestions on this are welcome. We have plenty of time to plan, so I'm hoping to make this run better than last year.

A couple of volunteers and myself will be executing scouting runs between now and the run date to map trails that will work for said difficulty levels. For those that have never been to Cow Mt., it is an OHV area maintained by the BLM. I use the term "maintained" loosely because many of the trails have been neglected over the years. The website provided below has a map of the area and trail difficulty ratings. These ratings are not exactly true to form anymore. This is why we will be scouting trails to get a better idea of difficulty, and whether they are too overgrown with brush.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media..._pdfs.Par.b7b72dfe.File.dat/South_Cow_Mtn.pdf

At the end of the day, we will all hopefully meet up at the obstacle course on the Ukiah side of the area. There are campsites near by for those who would like to camp, or a short drive into Ukiah will provide hotels off the 101 corridor.

Here are a few highlights from last years run....

Cavavan to the trailhead.

Staged at the trail head.

Playing around in the creek bed.

Lined up at the obstacle course.

See less See more
#587 ·
I swapped the hard top for the softtop. Still a bit early in the season and the mornings a bit chilly! I'm old and hate the cold! My plan is to have the top down till we hit the trail, then put it up to keep the brush from trashing us! Oh, and Jimbo, I'm starting to wonder about you, lol! :rofl:

#589 ·
I took my top off too, took my tin boat out fora spin from san rafael to sausalito. :) :)

This is how i shall ride that day
Prepare yourself to bring home some of the local indiginious flora! :hahaha: Oh, and I hope you don't catch poison oak!

#602 ·
Check out my hillbilly hardtop removal and storage device! Gone are the days of having to bribe a buddy with beer to come over to help you remove your hardtop!LOL!

Attachments

#614 ·
OK .... I think I am ready. I am now (as of 3 PM) fully locked :p Just did the under vehicle inspection and fastener check. We are good to go under the vehicle.
Tomorrow is either pull the hood sand and paint the underside black or I might radius the rear fenders for a bit for clearance.
Can't wait for the 4th :2thumbsup:

#633 ·
Hey JKT... I was one of them... and while I agree the NorCAl group we know and love are wonderful there are definitely some SoCal, OC folks that have the heart, the passion, camradary(no spell check), tream spirit and verve to match 'us' up here.

They taught me my bad skills, so ease up fella...****bags they're not - albeit not all folks with Jeeps are like the folks we'd like to know more of :0)

#646 ·
Trails were scouted! A basic plan was confirmed. Pinstripes abound! Lowranger and Goldielocker worked diligently to clear the moderate trails. Myself, Gene13 and his wife ran the nortorious Trail 23! Did I mention the Difficult group will encounter some pinstriping? Did I mention A LOT OF PINSTRIPING! We decided the best way to run Benmore (trail 23) was to head up to Four Mile Glade and take it east. A couple of tricky spots confirmed this. A big thanks go out to our scouters for helping to make this run successfull. Oh yeah, dust! Lot's of dust!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.