Nor Cal Off Road - Page 551 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Nor Cal Off Road

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 02-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #8251
TWDJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just thought of something else ... Much of what I need to do to be trail ready will be done but the installation of the oft-mentioned/REALLY necessary rocker guards will not.

Will that be an issue on this trip?? Will I have bypasses for those sections?

Thanks
=====

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1993-cherokee-xj-country-build-twdj-1151180/"][COLOR="Red"]my 93XJ build page[/COLOR][/URL]
TWDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #8252
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

interesting day... As I am travelling down the road I notice a Honda Accord STOPPED in the middle of the intersection in front of me with a green light. I slow and come to a stop SEVERAL feet behind him. Suddenly the reverse lights come on and he rockets towards me. I slam the horn and he starts to slow a little then BAM he hits me. He is Asian and no speaky english. woman passenger speaks some broken english, both around 40 yrs old. Call the PO-PO and dispatcher tells me just exchange info since no injuries and hangs up before I can tell her THEY NO SPEAKY ENGLISH!! So I call back and get the PO-PO to come out.
While waiting for the PO- PO the woman says "Home get Phone" and leaves.
PO-PO arrives and we find that driver only has a learners permit and now we don't know if woman has a CaDL or not. Officer takes my statement and info gives me a case number and says I can go. While he is calling for an interpretor.

Damage report
Jeep scratch front bumper and one KC stainless daylighter total lost.
Honda taillights and trunk lid destroyed.

I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman" Chief Edward F. Croker FDNY (1899-1911)

Firefighting..The only profession where you can break into someones home, flood it, rip out the walls, bust out windows, cut holes in the roof, and they THANK YOU for your service[/COLOR]
obxresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #8253
TWDJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxresq View Post
interesting day... As I am travelling down the road I notice a Honda Accord STOPPED in the middle of the intersection in front of me with a green light. I slow and come to a stop SEVERAL feet behind him. Suddenly the reverse lights come on and he rockets towards me. I slam the horn and he starts to slow a little then BAM he hits me. He is Asian and no speaky english. woman passenger speaks some broken english, both around 40 yrs old. Call the PO-PO and dispatcher tells me just exchange info since no injuries and hangs up before I can tell her THEY NO SPEAKY ENGLISH!! So I call back and get the PO-PO to come out.
PO-PO arrives and we find that driver only has a learners permit and now we don't know if woman has a CaDL or not. Officer takes my statement and info gives me a case number and says I can go. While he is calling for an interpretor.

Damage report
As I was reading your post, all that was going through my mind was "can Steve's luck get any better?"

Next on the list of "I wonders" is ... I wonder if they have insurance??

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1993-cherokee-xj-country-build-twdj-1151180/"][COLOR="Red"]my 93XJ build page[/COLOR][/URL]
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #8254
WJChris
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Sorry about the light. The only real issue I see from your post is what the hell is someone 40-ish just getting a learners permit!

c'mon, you have been bummin rides this long, just stay out of the front left seat.
WJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #8255
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJChris View Post
Sorry about the light. The only real issue I see from your post is what the hell is someone 40-ish just getting a learners permit!

c'mon, you have been bummin rides this long, just stay out of the front left seat.
Because they hadn't got on the boat yet when they were 16.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #8256
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWDJ View Post
As I was reading your post, all that was going through my mind was "can Steve's luck get any better?"

Next on the list of "I wonders" is ... I wonder if they have insurance??
Oh it can get "worse". They're going to get a lawyer and say you rear-ended them.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #8257
obxresq
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After a closer look seems the other KC daylighter had a crack in the mounting so it is toast as well.

TIM maybe you can enlighten me on this area.....

Was wondering about what his side of the story might be? I am wondering something that I know he only had a learners permit ((as I assume like a previous post, Just got off the boat)) was wondering if the female with him even had a CaDL?? And she had left the scene before the Po-Po arrived. Although I know in LIBERAL Cali in an accident with no injury, you just exchange info and be on your merry way. ((which I think is total BS!!!)) however since the Po-Po was called and I have no information on her, can she be charged with leaving the scene of an accident?? I know In NC law she would be holding a citation for this.

Quote:
Oh it can get "worse". They're going to get a lawyer and say you rear-ended them.
Ben.. I thought about that as well. Kinda scary since Cheryl and I still have the lawsuit hanging over us with her accident from over a year ago.

On the good side of this. I was able to use my anger and frustration out on some vines that have been needing to be removed from my fence in the backyard.

I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman" Chief Edward F. Croker FDNY (1899-1911)

Firefighting..The only profession where you can break into someones home, flood it, rip out the walls, bust out windows, cut holes in the roof, and they THANK YOU for your service[/COLOR]
obxresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #8258
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxresq View Post

Damage report
Be glad the police came out.
I got off the phone with a friend of mine that is selling her second home. She goes to show the house, only to find the lock box cut off and people living there. She called the police and they refused to show up and make a report, claiming it was a civil issue not a criminal one.
Several neighbors had made complaints to the police in the past, but they responded by saying only the owner can complain.
Elk Grove's finest laying it all on the line in the protection of personal property
Looking for axles 4.10's or higher
LibertyJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #8259
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

There's no legal requirement that I'm aware of for a passenger to stay on scene. I'd bet there was a specific reason she left though. If you haven't already, I'd just make sure you're on the ball getting everything filed with the insurance company right away, it gives them less time to think of reasons for what happened. Although they've got a year after the date of the accident to file a lawsuit, hopefully that won't happen, it would be kinda hard for them to substantiate anything though.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #8260
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just thought of something else ... Much of what I need to do to be trail ready will be done but the installation of the oft-mentioned/REALLY necessary rocker guards will not.

Thanks
=====
Hollister is really a small network of trails that spread out from a central camping area / 4wd playground. The playground has a bunch of sections with rocks that may require rocker guards. The trails can get off camber and tight against walls, so rockers may help there if you were to flop and they had a bar that held you away from the wall. There are lots of things to do otherwise, and rockers are not needed.

Hollister is a place that can get you into a lot of trouble very quickly if you aren't careful. The terrain is also always changing due to rain and people digging it out. I'm curious to see how this rain this coming week will affect the trails. I've been there before in lots of mud, and I've been there when it was no mud, but slick from recent rains. It will help that there are a bunch of us going so we can rescue each other. Usually I try to tag along with some other Jeeps that I find there.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #8261
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

this was my weekend:

I cant even describe to you how awesome it was!! What a relief it was to get away from all the college crap and drama and spend 3 days with my friend Joe. Especially since i got to ride in 4 seater bugger. LS9, coilovers, all kinds of cool stuff. With 4 adults in it we were going 65 over pretty decent whoops and with 2 people they were going 100 over the same whoops with premium pump gas, not even racing octane.

On another note, you guys should come up to Reno one of these weekends and we can wheel some trails. I just wheeled a few the last couple weeks and they are pretty fun.

The 4 Seater:
4-seater.jpg  
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #8262
Camilo98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks
=====
No you will be fine, I've goine there with no sliders and had no issues. If you were to do some stuff in the 4x4 playground then you might need them. For some harder fun areas there is the actual trail that bypasses them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
Hollister is really a small network of trails that spread out from a central camping area / 4wd playground. The playground has a bunch of sections with rocks that may require rocker guards. The trails can get off camber and tight against walls, so rockers may help there if you were to flop and they had a bar that held you away from the wall. There are lots of things to do otherwise, and rockers are not needed.

Hollister is a place that can get you into a lot of trouble very quickly if you aren't careful. The terrain is also always changing due to rain and people digging it out. I'm curious to see how this rain this coming week will affect the trails. I've been there before in lots of mud, and I've been there when it was no mud, but slick from recent rains. It will help that there are a bunch of us going so we can rescue each other. Usually I try to tag along with some other Jeeps that I find there.
I was there maybe 3 weeks ago and it has def changed a bit since last year.
It does make a difference when its dry, slightly wet, or just muddy. I think we will have a great time since some of us have been there and can find some good spots. I hope its just slightly wet still to keep the dust down.
Camilo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:47 PM   #8263
Camilo98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

youtube clip of the first section of a side trail at hollister. This is the fist part where you can either get out of keep goind up were it keeps getting harder. We followed it for maybe another 1/8 mile and get out before you have to go really off camber and almost under a tree.

Camilo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #8264
TWDJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

WE at Hollister

Thanks for the GREAT information folks! That vid, especially, was ... WOW.

As my wife and I are newcomers to this sport, as is the Cherokee, we might just stay on the "kiddie slopes" for this 1st trip to get a feel for how the rig will respond as well as build our comfort level.

Still looking forward to it. Already have a dinner menu planned for Saturday night. Hey, a day of fun needs to be followed up by a meal of equal caliber, right??

Unread 02-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #8265
TWDJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

What I got done this WE

Updated my build page, but there is one thing I am trying to work out ...

Measured the DS and pinion angles. With a 6* shim already in place, I measured the pinion at 12* and DS at 18*. A visual inspection shows the pinion pointed lower than the DS. This gave pause for concern. With those numbers, it would appear I'd need to increase the shim to ~10* to get close to the 1-2* area that the double cardon DS needs to operate in. Those numbers, though, do not seem reasonable as I had the same issue with my YJ years ago.

After speaking to Steve, my personal expert/mentor/guru the idea was floated that went something like this: My lift in the rear is a RE 4.5" spring pack with the standard/OEM shackles as was my YJ. Most folks get longer shackles when doing a leaf spring lift which will increase the pinion angle all by itself. Am I shooting myself in the foot by NOT using shackles?

As it turns out, I would not mind another 1" lift in the rear to accommodate the effect of gear and other loads in the back so I'm open to a 1" shackle lift if that would take care of the pinion/DS issue as well.

Looking for input from those who've seen this before and THANKS in advance.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.