Nor Cal Off Road - Page 435 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Nor Cal Off Road

Advance Adapters SYE KitsOconee Off-Road Jeep Night!SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 05-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #6511
Goobersbro

so guys if I cut my breaks out how much am I looking at spending if I replace hardline and everything like a rough estimate....and can you splice a hard line??? Also if I were to cut would I cut on the soft line side or hard line side....the soft lines running down to the calipers are getting replaced with steel braded...

Unread 05-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #6512
KMD
1976 CJ7 

cutting is for hacks. but if you have to cut the soft line since you are replacing it with stainless braid anyways. You can resplice the hard lines but would need a flaring tool and some more line as well as a flare connector. Flaring tube is a little tricky.. They do make pre flared lines in various lengths that need to be bent to fit in place and they are under $10 a piece. try napa
Unread 05-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #6513
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As far as removing the motor he has the tub off. It cannot get much easier than that. First put the cherry picker on, romove tranfer case for weight, with cherry picker holding weight remove both engine and trans at the same time. Then lower both so oil pan is barley off the ground and remove trans. Put motor on a stand. That is how I would do it.

With the brakes, cut the rubber lines. If you are not going to use the hardlines again then you can cut those. I personally would not splice the hardlines due to possible leakage. Jon, search the internet and junkyards possibly Davey's Jeeps and buy the complete pre bent brake lines. I do not think they are that exspensive. Anyway, brakes are not something you want to go cheap with or subpar work.

"life is good at 2 MPH"
Sccafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #6514
Goobersbro

rite I don't want to go cheap I'm just wondering a ball park range for my budget haha everything is budgeted and crap so I can have a deadline so if its going to cost more I have to push my finish date off ya know.....uhm I guess I'll just cut the soft lines and then maybe I can unthread thanks guys.... I'm about to pull the t case...just pulled all the shocks except one stubborn one I have to cut the mount its rear axle....And I have to remove the sway bar ....lol everyperson that like talks to me driving by or people who stop by are always like are you going to be able to put all of that back together...They are starting to make me nervous hahaha
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #6515
Goobersbro

brake lines pulled yae now everything is officially stripped from the frame except the engine and the skid plate well and the leafs but those don't count...uhm another question should I drain the oil rite now.....the engine is just comming off the jeep and going into storage so should I leave the oil in it...does it matter??? also how is that going to work draining a cold engine???
Unread 05-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #6516
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That does look like a crack to me too on the cylinder wall. I'd have that checked for sure if you're re-building. I thought you were getting a whole new engine though???

As for the brake lines, glad you got them off, but I'd replace them while they're easy to get at, especially if you've already had problems with them. Look here.... CUSTOM FORMED COMPLETE STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINE KITS - FOR JEEP, CJ AND WRANGLER - JCWhitney OR for less than half that price you could buy the stainless tube, and bend and flare all new lines. I personally wouldn't be trying to splice in any other lines to your existing stuff.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #6517
Goobersbro

yea at this point it looks like I will be replacing everything....SO I pulled the t case and found something that has me a bit worried rite now....I pulled it and a little bit of my gear oil came out of the transmission. I know this is normal...But the gear oil was a yellow color....SO I think I got mud and water in there when I went to PC last year with zac....The water was all in the jeep so I should have known better....I drove it home from pc and then started tearing it apart the next day so it was only driven home from sac...But that nasty stuff has been sitting in there since October....You guys think it has done any damage....also how do I get it all out??? Just buy a bunch of new oil and just flush it through???? Man now I"m super worried though. Can anything in there rust or you think its damaged at all? Should I take it in to the tranny shop??? I really don't want to have to spend more money on this rite now UGH...... It still shifts through the gears fine like its a little loud I think this is because I'm not sitting in the tub doing it. SO what are your guys opinions. I think I'm going to shoot a pm to mean max he seems pretty smart when it comes to this junk
Unread 05-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #6518
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i saw the pick and thought to myself"man that oil dosent look right" i was hopeing it was just water left over from pressure washing the tranny and skid. you are probably all right. since the water didnt seperate from the oil i dought it did much damage. if when you pull the drain plug and a lot of clear or rusty water runs out and then the oil ,then be afraid!.. i spent a while reading thru water in my manual tranny threads and most say just out in cheap gear oil or motor oil and run it till it warms up and do it again 3 times. since you cant do that i would just get the cheapest auto tranny fluid i could find and flush it with that a few times. i would be hesitant to use solvent or thinner or even alcohol(alcolhol would be great for water removal) due to seal damage. once your done with the build ,drain the last auto tranny fluid out(keep it in there while it sets to keep rust out) then add cheap gear oil and change it soon. then to a better grade and you should be good to go.
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #6519
Goobersbro

yea I'm such dumb butt I should have friggin changed it rite when I got home : ugh it totally slipped my mind I guess because of everything else I'm just scared because its sat 8 months with that water in there
Unread 05-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #6520
Goobersbro

Hey tim what leafs are you using to go SOA with? I need to order mine within the next couple weeks along with spring perches...I'm going to go ahead and get a ruff stuff install kit for the 8.8 but who did you get your dana 30 spring perches and shock tabs through???
Unread 05-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #6521
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobersbro View Post
Hey tim what leafs are you using to go SOA with? I need to order mine within the next couple weeks along with spring perches...I'm going to go ahead and get a ruff stuff install kit for the 8.8 but who did you get your dana 30 spring perches and shock tabs through???
I got all my shock tabs and U-bolts from Ruff Stuff, I got the front perches from Foothill Offroad in Auburn when they still had an actual store (now it's just online) they're the RE perches.

WFO Concepts also has a good selection of stuff, they're up here in Nevada County although they've got an Auburn address. I picked up their 12" shock hoops for the front, killer price @ $49 for the set, I was gonna go with the MORE kit for the front till I saw those.

I'm using the 2" BDS springs, I figured a ton of people run the 1.5" RE SOA springs so it should work out fine, plus I've had them on there for a while so they're broken in good.
Unread 05-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #6522
Goobersbro

ah Okay well I just sent ALCAN springs in Colorado an Email lets see what they quote me back with....I asked for some stock heigth springs with mill wrap and something thats going to ride soft and flex awesome but I don't have to replace every year....I'm guessing they are gonna say somewhere in the 200 dollar a leaf range...Hopefully less but thats still do able..as for steering what did you do? I think I'm going to do the rocky mountain OTT its gonna run like 500$ though but it seems to be the best on the market

Also last question what are you doing for a ladder bar in the rear...I think I read you bought a M.O.R.E yea??? I'm gonna check out Ron's set up hopefully and a couple of other local guys and see what they did

Last edited by Goobersbro; 05-15-2010 at 06:42 PM..
Goobersbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #6523
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up getting the JB4X4 bracket for the steering and yes the MORE anti-wrap bar when it was on sale for 20% off.
Unread 05-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #6524
JeepDoo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Bob did you upload that video of you blowing up the tire trying to seat it? I want to show it to one of my friends but I couldn't find it anywhere.
We've got too many gangsters doin dirty deeds. Too much corruption and crime in the street. It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground. Send them all to their maker and he'll settle them down. - Toby Keith & Willie Nelson

[URL="http://www.norcaljeepers.net/forum/"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]NOR CAL JEEPERS FORUM[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/sound-system-upgrades-speakers-amps-what-you-need-know-964324/"]Want to hear the music in your TJ, look no further...[/URL]

[SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][B]Longboard Drunk, Jeep Naked, Ski Powder[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR="LemonChiffon"][SIZE="1"]and finish calculus homework[/SIZE][/COLOR]
JeepDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #6525
bigsquat
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDoo View Post
Hey Bob did you upload that video of you blowing up the tire trying to seat it? I want to show it to one of my friends but I couldn't find it anywhere.
it might have been a little to much but it did seat and would have worked but there was a punture in the sidewall . maybe if the punture wasnt there it would have blown. it shot flames up the hill and set it on fire.

seating-bead.jpg  
red 92 yj,4.0,dana 44 rear,xj driveshaft,rubi 4-1 tc,35"tires,smitty built winch,oba, 6" flares,hand throttle,aussie's front and back,posi-lock,6" lift.anti-wrap, hombrew bumpers, rack and sliders,cb,rear shock truss <>< ,MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hp?t=613943see
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says 'Dam!'
bigsquat is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.