Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Nor Cal Off Road

405K views 10K replies 159 participants last post by  ChicoXJ 
#1 ·
New to this Jeep this thing I have an 08 Rubicon and I am looking for places for a beginer to start off at. Places or competent people to go out with would be very helpfull.

#102 ·
ok saturday is a go, some of my old friends from the bay area are coming up to george town. they ,as of right now want to start from george town and see if they can go all the way to ice house. plans could change, but we should leave by 9;30 to 10;30. ill firm it up later on friday. who is in?gears and axles in? fuel problems gone?

#105 ·
hey, i hear you are going to georgetown.... can you 4 wheel up there. cause i know they have a lot of dirtbike trails, (cough cough broke my wrist out there and had to ride back, SHOOT ME) anyway, could a stock 01 xj be able to run this route, or do i need a lift and some beefier tires. i really want to get into wheelin.

#106 ·
i think you would need bigger tires, i have 33"s and my diffs drag in the snow. its a good thing i have lockers front and back so i plow through. on the trip saturday we are going to try to push all the way to ice house if possible. as of right now i have the smallest tires of the bunch. you are not alowed to go off pavement right now so its just snow wheeling on the road. it can get quite deep at spots. but now its probably a lot of ice.

#107 ·
ok who's in? we will be leaving georgtown around 10:45 to 11:00am. the bay area boys are eating breakfast at placerville and getting motel rooms at george town before we leave, so if they leave concord by 7 am i would think 11:45 would be the earliest to get all that done. plan on a long day.

#108 ·
well im lookinginto bigger tires right now. so maybe this summer i should be ready for a trail ride with you guys. if thats ok??

#109 ·
that would be great, keep watching for trips. there might be some mild trail rides when the snow clears . i wouldnt mind doing a trail that leads to a fishing lake or something like that.

#110 · (Edited)
just got back from the snow trip. we left george town and headed to uncle toms cabin. we stopped at stumpy and was shocked at the vandalism that had occurred by some low life asshats. they shot up the bathrooms and cut down a tree over the boat ramp.i want to post pics but im afraid that some enviro nut will use them against us wheelers to further there cause to close us down.not much snow there now. we started hitting snow on the way to uncle toms. it was real easy wheeling. after a while at toms we decided to go all the way to ice house . i figured it would be a breeze, boy i was wrong! there were a couple groups on the road and on jeep broke an axle and steering box mount. and if that wasnt enough ,while towing him they riped his brake line off. the were with a small group and i gave them some brake fluid to use after the crimped off the line. we pushed on and caught up to another large group and the going was slow. the trail had not been blazed yet and they ask use to take the lead. the yellow toy truck in or group led and did a fantastic job of blazing the trail. he had 37" tires and just creep really slow. if his wheel would spin he would stop ,back up and then proceed again. if i got my tire off the track by just a few inches i would sink to my axles. we winched and tugged or rigs untill dark . as the sun was setting we hit pavement. the snow was way different than the previous trips. it was not forgiving at all.if it wasnt for the toy we would have never made it out. i really need more ground clearance.

Attachments

#111 ·
more pics.........

Attachments

#112 ·
this is where it started getting hard, it was like driving on narrow would planks, if you veered of a little you would sink, you can see us passing the other group here, i hope they made it out becuse there was no going back after some of those down hills.

Attachments

#114 ·
the harder it got the funner it was, get that pos together for the rubicon

#116 ·
Dang i missed out on another trip! Oh well gotta work to pay the bills. Count me in on the next trip!!!! (if you dont mind wheeling with someone with open diffs) maybe on another easy trip. Bigsquat pm me with the info for the next trip. Im always off on mondays and tuesdays and im off work round 1230 all the other days except sunday which im off at 130. Maybe we can go to hollister or slickrock with a bunch of the CA BOYS!

#117 ·
i like to go with at least 2 others if possible, just for safety. but maybe on a monday we could try to put a trail ride together. im pretty much open any day but tuesday, but i can arrange that to if needed.opens would have been a problem yesterday, my buddy with air lockers tried to run with them off and it was a no go. it was wierd the first part of the trail was so easy and the last wasa so hard.it would have sucked if we couldnt get through right at the end when it was getting dark. and then turn around and go back the way we came. thats what happened on or you bet road trip.
in the summer if you want to do a day trip or even a a 2 day trip, we could do some off the rubicon. i would like to get a 4 to 1 kit for that.
i havnt done slick rock yet.

#118 ·
Oh yeah i wouldnt want to go with only 2 people. To me the more the better!!! Lets try and set up a ride this spring or summer, and we can keep the CA BOYS (my little nickname for the group we can set up) updated and excited about the trip via jeepforum.:2thumbsup::2thumbsup: I'm already excited.:p

#119 ·
well down the road lol once i get my jeep up and running i would love to do a trip up and i have a buddy with a cherokee that would probably be willing to go too. I want him to get an 8.8 in his rear before i let him tag along though because he is running 35s and doesnt respect the skinny pedal but im all in just have to get my front end back together

#120 · (Edited)
so far the group thats wheeled is norcalcon,sfisher,and cmarjeep, future prospects are goobersbro,metal,aztecdoc,yjjustforme,beedub, and connor 0770, and im sorry if i missed someone. we could have a great year of wheeling. this doesnt include the 3 other groups that ive wheeled with this year al ready. its going to be hard to find a weekend where there is not a trip somewhere if this keeps up, i luv it!

#130 ·
so far the group thats wheeled is norcalcon,sficher,and cmarjeep, future prospects are goobersbro,metal,aztecdoc,yjjustforme,beedub, and connor 0770, and im sorry if i missed someone. we could have a great year of wheeling. this doesnt include the 3 other groups that ive wheeled with this year al ready. its going to be hard to find a weekend where there is not a trip somewhere if this keeps up, i luv it!
I'll be hitting the Rubicon as soon as the road is clear. (it's closed for snowmobiles in the winter). Last year we went for it in the first week of May but only made it to little sluice. The Rubicon in the snow is a blast!

#122 ·
Norcal4x4forum.com everyone has there own favorite places, this would be a good place to start asking around

#123 ·
I think thats a great site and dont get me wrong but its too busy and too spread out. And i know there is a section for each vehicle type and i dont mind going wheeling with some yotas and what not but its just a lot of fun to go up to a trail with a bunch of other jeep guys ya know. And it seems a lot easier for us all just to communicate here

#124 ·
soo lets just say i have been working my butt off so i can go wheeling with you guys this summer. Im trying really hard to get money for a lift, and some bigger tires. I am thinking a rubicon express 3.5 lift, with 31 M/T's would this be enough to do some easy trails with you. my dad and i used to 4 wheel, but hesold his bronco and 89 cherokee, and i have been dying to go ever since. Finally got a license and a jeep so i will do watever it takes to get up there.

#125 ·
i have a deal for you guys that want 33" tires. i have the set that came on my jeep. the po had got them shortly before i bought the jeep. they are mounted on some rims. if you buy a set of 16" tires for my dodge truck ill give you the tires and rims. you get tires and rims for the price of just tires . id put them on my dodge except my dodge is a different size and lug pattern.

Attachments

#128 ·
:thumbsup:Nothing harcore here just playin around in the mud with a buddy with an SOA AND 35'S WITH A LOCKED REAR that i had to help out! (i still give him a hard time everytime i see him). Im just waiting for the trip we can set up later this spring!!!!!:wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.