Lost Coast Mid to Late June - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Lost Coast Mid to Late June

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

Lost Coast Mid to Late June

I'm headed out to Socal to visit some family in June, Im driving my jeep for South Carolina, and we are headed up to SF sometime for some sight seeing....We plan on spending a day or two in the lost coast....looks amazing, and the trails arent crazy like the rubicon....my mom and wife will be much appreciated....How is the weather mid june up there? Anyone planning on anything this time of year?

Once we get closer I will be able to pinpoint some actual dates, would love to camp, but im sure my mom is not for that so maybe a inn at shelter cove.

MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The Northern California coast, in summer, can be beautiful, warm, clear, sunny, calm, flat ocean, 20 miles of visibility, and picturesque. Later that day it can be very windy, foggy, cold, misty, 50-foot visibility with 8-15 foot waves.

I've experienced a 60 temperature swing within 10 miles of the coast. (50 to 110, not joking.)

Dress in layers, bring your camera, and enjoy!
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

That is a loooong drive up from SoCal. Allow some time. I'm sure Burlbrook knows more about the area up there than I do, but the SF area and south, like down highway 1 (Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, ect.) can be quite foggy in June and most of summer. Out here it is azz backwards for the coast areas. Some locals call it the June gloom.
Even coast areas around L.A. can be foggy that time of year. Ya just never know. So be prepared. As Mark Twain once said... "The coldest winter I ever spent, was summer in San Francisco"
If you want sunshine and beautiful skies and awesome scenery, go to the Rubicon! lol.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the fog warnings, I have forgotten about June in socal is the same, most the time its hot though. I would love to go on the rubicon, but i want to stick to easy/moderate trails on this trip.
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Read this thread. We went Sept of last year. Sept and October are usually the best times to go weather wise. Less chance of fog. When you nail down a date, let me know, maybe I can get a small group to go with you. Usal road is easy and very scenic.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317/...204/?highlight=

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
thanks for the fog warnings, I have forgotten about June in socal is the same, most the time its hot though. I would love to go on the rubicon, but i want to stick to easy/moderate trails on this trip.
With 3.5" lift and 35's... you could get across the granite bowl easy enough and be able to say you've been on part of the Con. Don't have to do the whole trail. And coming all that way across the US, may as well at least go that far and see part of the Sierra's and the famous Rubicon trail/Loon Lake, and then maybe back thru Georgetown, and then Nevada City/Grass Valley and then head on over to the coast.

Quote:
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

All the way from Sou' Calinky, be a shame not to drive through Yosemite and the Giant Sequoias on the way. It (and they) truly one of the wonders of the world.

Yosemite, Rubicon, Lost Coast.... what a memorable trip of California that would be.
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

you guys have very good suggestions, I have several problems, 1. my wife doesnt want to spend the whole trip 4 wheeling (bummer) 2. I only have 30 days of leave 3. We are spending 2 days in Colorado with one day of wheeling, 2 days in Moab (both days wheeling), 3-4 days in Vegas (visiting family, wheeling, and gambling) then to Socal....and then I have to account for 3 days for returning. Thats 11 days out of my 30 days. thats 19 days left....i think we would need to spend 5 days in norcal 2 being travel days, so one day in san fran, one day lost coast and one day yosemite, an extra day to do part of the rubicon like one of you suggested, thats alot of driving in a soft top LOL so thats less then 2 weeks in socal visiting my family....

SOUNDS AWESOME LOL.....have to talk to the wife.

Burlbook in 2011 we went to the sierra's and checked out the trail of 100 giants...very awesome experience...we were in a rental car...

I'm really afraid of breaking something serious so far from home, I have a credit card for emergencies but still, I would hate to snap a axle or something really bad, thats why I want to stick to the easy/moderate trails. I also wont have lockers on this trip, need that extra money for the trip.
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, to be honest, to pick between Rubicon and Yosemite... Yosemite wins hands down (even tho I've been there a million times and am only a little over an hour away). Definitely one of the must see's in Ca. Ca. is such a huge state to see and unfortunately requires lots of driving.

Quote:
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
218bps
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Well, to be honest, to pick between Rubicon and Yosemite... Yosemite wins hands down (even tho I've been there a million times and am only a little over an hour away). Definitely one of the must see's in Ca. Ca. is such a huge state to see and unfortunately requires lots of driving.
what time of year would you recommend going to yosemite. been wanting to go for a while
218bps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bps View Post
what time of year would you recommend going to yosemite. been wanting to go for a while
Honestly, anytime is good. But IMHO, late spring/early summer during peak snow melt is best. That is when the falls are running the fullest. Will likely be early this year due to low snow fall. They 'may' have a web site to check that out??? Not sure. I'd say end of May or early June. After school is out and summer kicks in is peak vacation time and it can get real busy.

Teaser picks.

Quote:
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #12
218bps
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM
Honestly, anytime is good. But IMHO, late spring/early summer during peak snow melt is best. That is when the falls are running the fullest. Will likely be early this year due to low snow fall. They 'may' have a web site to check that out??? Not sure. I'd say end of May or early June. After school is out and summer kicks in is peak vacation time and it can get real busy.

Teaser picks.
Aw your killin me man. Lovin that view. I figured any time of year would be good. More so winter and late spring for the snow and snow melt. Maybe I'll take a June trip
218bps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #13
MSG
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'd love to hike dome rock, but you need a lottery permit to hike it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.