Jeep buddies around San Jose - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Jeep buddies around San Jose

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #46
Greg_2013

I live in Merced, are there any places to go off road, I own a '13 wrangler sport... I want to se what this thing can do. It's not a rubicon, so nothing real heavy duty... Thanks in advanced.

Greg_2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #47
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimX View Post
I'm checking out all this RENIX stuff hmmm and so far so good but that has me wondering what is up with my Jeep? Lately its been boiling over on these warm days?
Dumb question - replace the thermostat or boil off coolant lately?

RENIX uses the "closed" cooling system. Nothing wrong with it (if there were, would OEMs be going to it?) but it does take a bit of care to return to service.

Search up my posts on drilling the thermostat flange, it will tell you how to make the system self-purging. If the system is partially or wholly drained (through regular service, through boilover, or anything like that...) you'll end up with an air pocket behind the thermostat. This will cause the thermostat to not sense the temperature of the coolant, and to not open, which will cause a boilover. Every time.

(It will even make it happen when it's snowing - it just takes longer to happen.)
Unread 10-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #48
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_2013 View Post
I live in Merced, are there any places to go off road, I own a '13 wrangler sport... I want to se what this thing can do. It's not a rubicon, so nothing real heavy duty... Thanks in advanced.
Hollister SVRA isn't that out of your way and has plenty to choose form as far as easy to extreme trails goes.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #49
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Prairie City in Folsom is a good place to get familiar with your rig. Frank Raines OHV isn't too far for you, but Hollister might be closer. You're just a hop,skip, and a jump away from some really good offroading east of you.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #50
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_2013
I'm setting up a run to Frank Raines sat 11/2 if you wanna meet out there. You're welcome to come out.
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #51
VictimX
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post
Dumb question - replace the thermostat or boil off coolant lately?

RENIX uses the "closed" cooling system. Nothing wrong with it (if there were, would OEMs be going to it?) but it does take a bit of care to return to service.

Search up my posts on drilling the thermostat flange, it will tell you how to make the system self-purging. If the system is partially or wholly drained (through regular service, through boilover, or anything like that...) you'll end up with an air pocket behind the thermostat. This will cause the thermostat to not sense the temperature of the coolant, and to not open, which will cause a boilover. Every time.

(It will even make it happen when it's snowing - it just takes longer to happen.)
I changed the thermostat (160) out again for the 4th time and replaced the reservoir and cap, replaced the water pump and bleed the system, its not boiling over so much but still running around 210.

However new problem... I was on my way to hollister hills and when towing my jeep on a dolly for the first time with both trans and transfer in neutral (was told okay to do) i blew the casing out... I disconnected the drive line and brought it home as you can see its a goner.
kimg0022p.jpg

kimg0021p.jpg

kimg0044p.jpg

VictimX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #52
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Are you sure you werent told transfer case in n, transmission in gear. Thats what i have read a lot.
Unread 10-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #53
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictimX View Post
I changed the thermostat (160) out again for the 4th time and replaced the reservoir and cap, replaced the water pump and bleed the system, its not boiling over so much but still running around 210.

However new problem... I was on my way to hollister hills and when towing my jeep on a dolly for the first time with both trans and transfer in neutral (was told okay to do) i blew the casing out... I disconnected the drive line and brought it home as you can see its a goner.
210*F is the "Spec Operating Temperature" for the 6-242 engine, and it's common for most engines these days.

Doesn't mean I like it - I've pulled the op temp in my 88 down to 185-190*F, and it hadn't had any impact on smog results (but the oil holds up better, with running that little bit cooler.)

If you're going to flat tow with a dolly often, I'd suggest a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) kit for the rear output shaft, then just remove the shaft before you pull. The front shaft can be left in place. (You can use a transmission tailcone plug to keep the fluid in the case, but the SYE is a better solution, and allows you to drive with the rear driveshaft removed, in case it gets hooped on a rock...)

I remember seeing "driveline disconnect kits" years ago (mechanical clutches that went right in front of the axle to connect/disconnect the driveshaft,) but it's been a number of years, and I don't know if anything like that is still available. Thing looks like a driveline brake drum, only smaller.
Unread 10-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #54
VictimX
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I know 210 is the operating range but I want a lower running temp for the hot days when off roading, maybe like 185 would be nice but nothing works? I normally use a flat bed to tow my Jeep and this one time I used the tow dolly because my brother was using my flat bed, next time I'm just going to use the flat bed to save all this trouble. Now I need to find a transfer case like my old 242 AMC one, nothing so far at the local junk yards but I can wait.
kimg0047p.jpg

Unread 10-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #55
Greg_2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridesjeeps
I'm setting up a run to Frank Raines sat 11/2 if you wanna meet out there. You're welcome to come out.
Thank you I will see if I am free.
Greg_2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #56
VictimX
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Just a simple update, finished the jeep so time to hit the trails. Also the other spare jeep I have got some new paint, I'll be hitting the Frank Raines trail soon I hope.
kimg0084p.jpg

kimg0083p.jpg

kimg0082p.jpg

kimg0091p.jpg

kimg0097p.jpg

Last edited by VictimX; 12-20-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #57
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out the ladst run of the year thred , come on down

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #58
SuperLuke
1998 ZJ 

I'm in San Jose. Just picked up my new ZJ...
luke-zj-3.png

SuperLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #59
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Nice!

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #60
VictimX
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Looks cool, when you plan to hit the trail?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.