Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hollister Hills Run/Gathering, March 23rd. 2013

38K views 965 replies 39 participants last post by  lowranger 
#1 ·
Hollister Hills Run/Gathering, March 23rd, 2013:

Since I have never been to Hollister, and have always wanted to check the park out, I thought it would be time to check the place out before it gets too hot and dusty, so let's get the gang together for a caravan and trail ride to Hollister OHV Park.
It's a 4 ½ hour drive for us, so I thought an 10:30AM meet up at the park would be good. Those who want to have meet ups along the way can post details here. I hear there is a picnic area for a possible lunch get-together. We could follow that up with some trail exploring. I will not be able to scout out the place due to the distance, so I am hoping that those who have been there can provide some information , plus help out as trail guides for those of us not familiar with the park. Is there a trail map? Are the trails labeled for difficulty? We could do groups depending on difficulty, or just all follow a leader and tackle the trails. Please feel free to post your suggestions for this run.

UPDATE: Meet up time will be 10:30AM at the day use area next to the obstacle course just past the Ranger Station on the right side of Cienega Rd.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/hollisterhillsmap_upperranch-web.pdf

See less See more
#228 ·
"The List"

bobthetj03
Gene13
JPetru82
lowranger
flyinion
408jeeper
JKTHOMPS
villageidiot1313
chris.george
JeepTh1ng
titomars
jurgen24
zjlimited94
89YJBuilder
fast540
JacKOFFroad
sinbob
Stone
Gofish TJ
Hitman72
RubiconRon
jeep3000gt
fast540's buddy Chris (TJ)
thirdeye
wroman
Sonoma Girl

#231 ·
A week or so before the trip you should send a PM to everyone going just to get an accurate count.

They have the section where I work down to 3 people of a minimum 5 needed to operate. :thumbdown::(:thumbdown:

I don't think work is going to let me go because of that, so you can take my name off the list for now.

#233 ·
For those commuting to Hollister Saturday morning, I'd like to find two meet up spots along the way for jeepers to caravan. I'm thinking a rolling stop in Petaluma, and maybe a second fuel up spot just south of San Jose off SR-101. Thoughts?

#234 ·
I just spoke to one of the rangers... area 5 is where we need to try and reserve if we have 20+ jeepers camping. It also has a road that cuts right to the upper ranch. Otherwise we have to hope campgrounds are open. Prices are only given by the event coordinator. Otherwise $10 day per rig to camp and $5 day use. Not sure if this will go through.

#235 ·
jkthomps said:
I just spoke to one of the rangers... area 5 is where we need to try and reserve if we have 20+ jeepers camping. It also has a road that cuts right to the upper ranch. Otherwise we have to hope campgrounds are open. Prices are only given by the event coordinator. Otherwise $10 day per rig to camp and $5 day use. Not sure if this will go through.
Hey Are there bathrooms and showers at area 5? I'm gonna try to be there no later then 1 on Friday , I can try to gets some spots too. There's 2 other jeeps following me up there too.

#241 ·
Area 5 is reservation only for groups, it has bathrooms and showers et cetera... There was a big group of land rovers, range rovers, and land cruisers out there today, so I checked it out... Nice area, but someone has to call the Event Coordinator "Chris" and ask about prices if this is a route you guys want to go. I will post a video clip in a few. Hollister is only 1hr 45min from my driveway to the ranger check station, so I probably won't be camping. :hahaha:

Oh and it was CRAZY busy today and parts of Hollister are closed for events through out the year, so we need to check the event calendar online. I have not checked it yet. My CoPilot got sick and threw up in the front seat, so I need to go clean a little. I will not be taking him on this run or any others until he is older. :nono:

#236 ·
I will be leaving here on Friday to head down, but my nephew has a class on Friday morning at the college and so I will be leaving Lower Lake at 1 or 1:30 instead of being there then. If someone gets there and can save a spot I would be very happy for it. I was hoping to hit the obstacle course on Friday after setting up camp but prolly not gonna happen. The easier course is a great place for kids to learn and I was hoping to get him driving a bit.

Is it really three weeks still?:rantscream:

#237 ·
I'm hoping to leave Vallejo around 9 or so, and get there around 11ish. I will set up stuff in as many adjoining campsites as possible. I'll putt around a little, and if people let me know what time they will arrive, I will make sure to be back to the campsites by then.
We just need to find out if we are camping in the reserved area, or is there just the one site.

#261 ·
You will not be using area 5 nor camping there it is used only for big events like Molina Ghost w CA4WDC.

Use Sycamore campground, has nice camp spots and good showers. Grab a map at the station or print one out (http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1181)

"Facilities: The Upper Ranch has*two family campgrounds, Sycamore and the Obstacle Course Camp. Each campground*accommodates about 60 people. The Lower Ranch has five campgrounds. All camp sites have restroom facilities. Walnut Camp in the Lower Ranch and Sycamore Camp in the Upper Ranch have showers. Camping at Hollister Hills requires no reservations*and all sites are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. The camping fee is $10 per night. Check-in at the Ranger Station for available camp sites and to pay your fees. No hookups are available in the campgrounds."

#248 ·
Hi all thanks for adding me to the list. I am looking forward to this trip. I think i will be camping also.
I don't think Billybooster will be in on this one. He just developed what sounds like a rod knock or a broken #6 piston in his new engine so he will have to tear it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.