Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hollister Hills Run/Gathering, March 23rd. 2013

38K views 965 replies 39 participants last post by  lowranger 
#1 ·
Hollister Hills Run/Gathering, March 23rd, 2013:

Since I have never been to Hollister, and have always wanted to check the park out, I thought it would be time to check the place out before it gets too hot and dusty, so let's get the gang together for a caravan and trail ride to Hollister OHV Park.
It's a 4 ½ hour drive for us, so I thought an 10:30AM meet up at the park would be good. Those who want to have meet ups along the way can post details here. I hear there is a picnic area for a possible lunch get-together. We could follow that up with some trail exploring. I will not be able to scout out the place due to the distance, so I am hoping that those who have been there can provide some information , plus help out as trail guides for those of us not familiar with the park. Is there a trail map? Are the trails labeled for difficulty? We could do groups depending on difficulty, or just all follow a leader and tackle the trails. Please feel free to post your suggestions for this run.

UPDATE: Meet up time will be 10:30AM at the day use area next to the obstacle course just past the Ranger Station on the right side of Cienega Rd.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/hollisterhillsmap_upperranch-web.pdf

See less See more
#4 ·
This one will def be a blast. Hollister has something for everyone. This was where I first brought my jeep when it was bone stock, and it handled amazingly there.

on a side note, I'll probably have my buddy in his rubicon (same one that was on the snow run) coming along as well. I might drive down on Friday and camp Friday night, and maybe Saturday night as well. Anyone else that wants to camp is more then welcome.

#5 ·
This one will def be a blast. Hollister has something for everyone. This was where I first brought my jeep when it was bone stock, and it handled amazingly there.

on a side note, I'll probably have my buddy in his rubicon (same one that was on the snow run) coming along as well. I might drive down on Friday and camp Friday night, and maybe Saturday night as well. Anyone else that wants to camp is more then welcome.
So there's camping? Awesome! I just haven't had time to research the area yet, so forgive my ignorance of the area. Details on camping?

#6 ·
bobthetj03 said:
So there's camping? Awesome! I just haven't had time to research the area yet, so forgive my ignorance of the area. Details on camping?
Sorry, thought you knew. It's been a while since I've been, but as of last time: There are 15 or so campsites. each site can hold a couple tents. They are inside the gate, so they are for wheelers only. Fire pits at each site. The sites are kind of arranged in a horse shoe around a small dry creek bed. I believe there are toilets and showers if I'm not mistaken. Def toilets, maybe on the showers. Campsite are first come type site, no reservations. There's also a cement pad near the campsites to do repair if need be. I'll post more as I think of more stuff.

#10 ·
I was looking over the link Jeremy had put on the forum and they suggest that you call ahead to see if there are any scheduled special events, especially on the weekends when the park may be closed.

Here's the link to the map: https://mail.mchsi.com/zimbra/h/%3Cspan%20class=" yui-spellcheck?>http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/hollisterhillsmap_upperranch-web.pdf">http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/hollisterhillsmap_upperranch-web.pdf

You may want to call to see if it's closed for an event and then you could check again as it gets closer. I hate to see everyone get all jazzed up just to find out the 23rd of March is closed for an event.

Goldie Locker (aka Joan ; )

#12 ·
Thanks for the links! Great information! It doesn't look like there are any events planned for the 23rd, but I'll keep a watch and call them a week or two prior to make sure it's open to the public for us. It sounds like they are making improvements to the camping area as well.

#16 ·
I'd be interested. I've been a few times, the trails are rated green, blue and black. The black trails tend to be steeper, but never found any big rocks. If its wet, things get more interesting. There are numerous obstacle courses, some new since I was last there. There are also a few unmarked trails, e.g creek bottom which can be dicey.

#20 ·
johnridesjeeps said:
I might be down. Just got a yj that needs testing. Doing this at hollister in the next few weeks hopefully. I'll see if any guys from my club want to ride out as well.
So you might go earlier? I'm in if you go earlier because I'm not 100% on march 23rd yet because of work but I can do any weekend in these 2 maybe 3 upcoming weekends

#24 ·
89YJBuilder said:
I hope to do this one but the budget has yet to decide. We went to Hollister in '09 for The Molina Ghost Run and had a great time. Here is a pic of the trail we were on. It's called "The Jungle" we ran it backwards.
I think that's what we refer to "*****"(edit: female dog ;) ) trail? That tree right there looks like the one that kisses your drivers top when you go by, ya?

#26 ·
Might be I was there once and the name I gave is what I was told? I'll put more pics in my gallery if you want to look there to see if you can recognize it. Here are a few more of the same trail. more easily recognizable I think.

I am thinking of camping myself.

Attachments

#35 ·
That's the great thing about not having a payment! It may not be pretty but all I have to worry about is fixing what I break. If you notice in the picture there is an antenna and stock mirror. That is the trail that I lost the antenna, mirror, and paint on the right side of the little red YJ.:2thumbsup: Thats also when the wife decided that she didn't want to go with me anymore.:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.