Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hollister Hills Run/Gathering, March 23rd. 2013

38K views 965 replies 39 participants last post by  lowranger 
#1 ·
Hollister Hills Run/Gathering, March 23rd, 2013:

Since I have never been to Hollister, and have always wanted to check the park out, I thought it would be time to check the place out before it gets too hot and dusty, so let's get the gang together for a caravan and trail ride to Hollister OHV Park.
It's a 4 ½ hour drive for us, so I thought an 10:30AM meet up at the park would be good. Those who want to have meet ups along the way can post details here. I hear there is a picnic area for a possible lunch get-together. We could follow that up with some trail exploring. I will not be able to scout out the place due to the distance, so I am hoping that those who have been there can provide some information , plus help out as trail guides for those of us not familiar with the park. Is there a trail map? Are the trails labeled for difficulty? We could do groups depending on difficulty, or just all follow a leader and tackle the trails. Please feel free to post your suggestions for this run.

UPDATE: Meet up time will be 10:30AM at the day use area next to the obstacle course just past the Ranger Station on the right side of Cienega Rd.

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1170/files/hollisterhillsmap_upperranch-web.pdf

See less See more
#47 ·
Which campground are people going to try to get into? It would be nice to try to get in the same campground. I'm sure Sat night if not both Fri and Sat nights could be a good time. We could do a heck of a "Tasting".... oh and maybe a little food too.:cheers: I would even bring a "Big Silver Bullet" for who ever.:shhh:

Uhh... did I say that?

#48 ·
89YJBuilder said:
Which campground are people going to try to get into? It would be nice to try to get in the same campground. I'm sure Sat night if not both Fri and Sat nights could be a good time. We could do a heck of a "Tasting".... oh and maybe a little food too.:cheers: I would even bring a "Big Silver Bullet" for who ever.:shhh:

Uhh... did I say that?
I only know of the one campsite for 4x4ers. It's the U shapes one that a dry creek bed in the middle. I'm going, hopefully, early enough on Friday to snag the big one in the back.

#50 ·
I thought there were two. So I guess that makes it easy. If I can go I will be planning on being there between noon and one on Friday. I will be staying till Sunday morning or noon at the latest. It is about a 5hr trip for me. My YJ is good to hold 60 on the Hwy with it on the floor. I polished and ported and balanced the little four. I opened the exhaust and cold air intake and it just isn't quite enough. But until I can do some major drive train upgrades it is what it is. Off road its fine.:rolleyes:

Any way hope to see you there.

#51 ·
Been there many times and camped there as well. I agree grab the big sites in sycamore camground (shaded w the dry creek bed). They have good bathrooms and awesome hot showers!

TAKE Tecnu with you! Everyone! there is lots of poison oak on the trails. I never had it but know ppl that do everytime we go. My tips: I use gloves when driving and walking around. Keep wet-ones on me. Don't touch your junk if you even think you touched anything green ( I heard horror stories when it gets down there). Still amazing how many don't know what it looks like and walk in it (regret it later). Wash your Face, arms, hands, shi* even bettter take a shower w tecnu after wheeling! feell great after anyways.

Not trying to scare anyone this place is awesome for any level of rigs and experience. Just go prepared. Tecnu is your friend.

For the ones on 33's and feel confident: Jungle trail is my favorite of all, not on the map but ask others. Trail goes fir a while even when you run into another road. They have recently added two obstacle courses for buggies and more modded rigs, check them out anyways.
If you get some time walk Tank Trap, this is where they film Top Truck Challenge!

#57 ·
So I am new to the jeep world but not new to turning wrenches and having a good time. I would love to tag along and try out my 88mj on a few trails. Jpetru82 is a classmate of mine and can vouch for me (I think, lol ). So I do have one question, and make fun if you must , but what is the protocol on those two legged things that cost more then jeeps (girlfriends) ?

#58 ·
what is the protocol on those two legged things that cost more then jeeps (girlfriends) ?
Hahaha that right there is funny and true... hahaha bring them. The more the merrier! I sometimes leave my wife behind because she thinks I take my jeep to crazy places but she loves to go to hollister with me. So if your gf loves the outdoors and jeeping bring her.

#59 ·
Hitman72 said:
So I am new to the jeep world but not new to turning wrenches and having a good time. I would love to tag along and try out my 88mj on a few trails. Jpetru82 is a classmate of mine and can vouch for me (I think, lol ). So I do have one question, and make fun if you must , but what is the protocol on those two legged things that cost more then jeeps (girlfriends) ?
Welcome to the disease, Turning wrenches is a good thing cause the Mods never stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.