Good mecanic in San Francisco? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Good mecanic in San Francisco?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-29-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
econstantin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Good mecanic in San Francisco?

Hi, I've got a 94 YJ and am approaching 230k, on all original everything (as far I know), except for a suspension lift and other non-drivetrain related mods.

I've done all the standard/full maintenance & tuneup (all fluids, distro cap & wires, plugs, ignition coil, o2 sensor, pcv plugs, throttle body cleaning, rear main seal, u-joints, etc), however it idles erratically, "shudders" on acceleration, and feels like there's "slack" in the drive train (experienced as some lurch when I take my foot off the accelerator).

I'm thinking it's time to have a professional take a proper look at it (I suspect maybe some tranny wear issues, maybe the rear diff backlash is out, and possible some axle wrap, as well as perhaps timing chain slack, main bearings wearing, and valves slapping).

Since putting on the lift (OME), I put in a TC drop and rear shims to reduce driveshaft angle, but still experience some vibrations... So I'm also considering a SYE kit.

I'd appreciate any recommendations as to quality/honest mechanics in SF (or bay area) who would be willing/able to take on this kind of diagnostic & work.

Any indications of ballpark costs for the various jobs would also be very helpful if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions!
E

econstantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
JohnnYJohn
1994 YJ Wrangler 

E,

Took my YJ recently to the 76 station on California and 25th Avenue and spoke with the mechanic, Manuel. Manny is a great guy and has run a honest shop for years; he also used to own Wranglers himself and knows everything about the truck. At least give him a try, he always gives free advice and diagnostic help.

John
JohnnYJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
econstantin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnYJohn View Post
E,

Took my YJ recently to the 76 station on California and 25th Avenue and spoke with the mechanic, Manuel. Manny is a great guy and has run a honest shop for years; he also used to own Wranglers himself and knows everything about the truck. At least give him a try, he always gives free advice and diagnostic help.

John
Great, thanks John. I just gave him and call and will be swinging by his shop on Monday to have him take a look at a few things.
econstantin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.