Best Gear Shop/ARB Re-install in Bay Area (San Jose or south) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > California Jeep Forum > Northern California > Best Gear Shop/ARB Re-install in Bay Area (San Jose or south)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 06-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best Gear Shop/ARB Re-install in Bay Area (San Jose or south)

I pulled my front D30 ARB due to some issues with the ARB Locking and unlocking (both with and without air). When I bent my LPD30 a few years ago I replaced it with a HPD30 Housing and had a member of my local Jeep Club do the gears and locker re-install... There were a number of erroneous things that appear to have happened during the install. I won't get into the specifics of the bad stuff, and I don't know if these things directly caused the issues with the ARB but I'm sure didn't help.

I'm calling ARB tomorrow to see what they suggest or if I can send the locker in for them to check it out/repair.

Anyhow, I'm going to need to find a good shop to do the re-install everything once I get the locker situation resolved. Long story short is that I'll be looking for a reputable gear/ARB Installer.

Any suggestions? I'm south of San Jose in Scotts Valley, but willing to drive the Jeep up to the Bay Area for a good shop!

Wade

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #2
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you could try Over Kill off Road , In Cambell I think . never been there but I have seen there work around looks like very high quality .

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #3
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 102joe View Post
you could try Over Kill off Road , In Cambell I think . never been there but I have seen there work around looks like very high quality .
Yeah, I've had my Jeep over to Arabia's Overvill (I assume that's the same shop) in Campbell a couple times over the years and I think if I were having some custom fab stuff done (Cage or whatever), then Jeff would be a great choice. I've heard some less than flattering things about some of the other work they have done to rigs of friends, so not sure I want to have them do a gear install, although that was a few years ago, and I also have stories of very happy customers.
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well thats good know , Like I said I have never used them . The only Gear shop I know of is Pete's Gears in Hayward .They have a good reputation around here . There no too close to you tho . You may be able to contact A.R.B. and see if they have any recommendations .""" Edit Didn't see you already planned on calling ARB ,,, sorry guess I'm not much help """

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
I pulled my front D30 ARB due to some issues with the ARB Locking and unlocking (both with and without air). When I bent my LPD30 a few years ago I replaced it with a HPD30 Housing and had a member of my local Jeep Club do the gears and locker re-install... There were a number of erroneous things that appear to have happened during the install. I won't get into the specifics of the bad stuff, and I don't know if these things directly caused the issues with the ARB but I'm sure didn't help.

I'm calling ARB tomorrow to see what they suggest or if I can send the locker in for them to check it out/repair.

Anyhow, I'm going to need to find a good shop to do the re-install everything once I get the locker situation resolved. Long story short is that I'll be looking for a reputable gear/ARB Installer.

Any suggestions? I'm south of San Jose in Scotts Valley, but willing to drive the Jeep up to the Bay Area for a good shop!

Wade
Rearend Specialties in Santa Clara does excellent work - I used to use him on heavy truck stuff (class 4/5/6) when I was doing the industrial mechanic thing. He should be able to set up whatever you need.

He's in DiGulio (sp?) in Santa Clara, look him up!
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like for every positive review I get of a place that does gears/lockers, I hear 3 terrible experiences (first hand and/or online reviews), including a couple mentioned here in this thread. I'm of the conclusion that they all suck and 1/4 of the customers will be happy and 3/4 won't and tell everyone else not to do business with them...

I did ask the ARB Tech that worked on my locker, and he didn't have a suggestions (unless I wanted to drive the rig up to Washington State! )

Uggg!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
ZJfreek
1996 ZJ 

Pacific Fab in Morgan hill, Call talk to Kevin ( he owns the shop ) and he will set you right and fix it the first time and you will be happy.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.