JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Northern California (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f427/)
-   -   axle re gear help? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f427/axle-re-gear-help-2048337/)

tearin_updirt 01-28-2014 06:25 PM

axle re gear help?

Hello I am just throwing a feeler out there and I was hoping to see if anyone on here knows how to Regear a dana 30 and ford 8.8 from 3.73 to 4.88. I cant really afford it from a shop and also want to learn how to do it! I am willing to pay you for your time and troubles! So anyone let me know

tearin_updirt 01-29-2014 01:00 PM

Bump

flipit 02-01-2014 11:04 PM

I can help on here a bit, nothing serious. I haven't regeared those two specifically, I did my 44 and 9. It's a pretty serious task, but it's not too rough. You got all the tools?

posted this from my phone

tearin_updirt 02-03-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipit (Post 19977977)
I can help on here a bit, nothing serious. I haven't regeared those two specifically, I did my 44 and 9. It's a pretty serious task, but it's not too rough. You got all the tools?

I do not have all the tools

flipit 02-04-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tearin_updirt (Post 20013969)

I do not have all the tools

Oh, dang, I guess online I'm not much help at all. There's quite a few tools you really need. Cost a few hundred at harbor fright, quite a bit more for the real deal...you can, if you like, gut the axle, have a shop pull your bearings and races, grind those down to loose fit, space them, and have the shop press them again...and hope you measured right the first time! But yeah, hopefully someone local with a press can help you out.

Have you opened up the axle yet?

tearin_updirt 02-04-2014 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipit (Post 20037385)

Oh, dang, I guess online I'm not much help at all. There's quite a few tools you really need. Cost a few hundred at harbor fright, quite a bit more for the real deal...you can, if you like, gut the axle, have a shop pull your bearings and races, grind those down to loose fit, space them, and have the shop press them again...and hope you measured right the first time! But yeah, hopefully someone local with a press can help you out.

Have you opened up the axle yet?

No I haven't I DD my jeep so if I open it I will have to close and fill it... Someone on pirate can help me out for $200 so I may do that plus I an starting a tub swap soon so I can pull the axles out throw in my buddy's truck drive over learn watch help pay throw then back in the truck re install in the jeep boom good to go

flipit 02-04-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tearin_updirt (Post 20037561)
No I haven't I DD my jeep so if I open it I will have to close and fill it... Someone on pirate can help me out for $200 so I may do that plus I an starting a tub swap soon so I can pull the axles out throw in my buddy's truck drive over learn watch help pay throw then back in the truck re install in the jeep boom good to go

wow, good luck on knocking out both axles in one go.
that would make me nervous, I'd rather be able to have something go wrong. I mean, if he knows what he's doing it is not a long job, but yeah, best of luck.

tearin_updirt 02-04-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipit (Post 20065201)

wow, good luck on knocking out both axles in one go.
that would make me nervous, I'd rather be able to have something go wrong. I mean, if he knows what he's doing it is not a long job, but yeah, best of luck.

He says he knows what he is doing so hopefully it won't blow up

jurgen24 02-05-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tearin_updirt (Post 19845921)
Hello I am just throwing a feeler out there and I was hoping to see if anyone on here knows how to Regear a dana 30 and ford 8.8 from 3.73 to 4.88. I cant really afford it from a shop and also want to learn how to do it! I am willing to pay you for your time and troubles! So anyone let me know

check out the following, its the best writeup I've come across

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te...sta/Gear_Setup

I think one key to all this is to make/buy some setup bearings that can be easily slipped on/off.

tearin_updirt 02-05-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jurgen24 (Post 20076049)

check out the following, its the best writeup I've come across

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/te...sta/Gear_Setup

I think one key to all this is to make/buy some setup bearings that can be easily slipped on/off.

Thanks for the link man

bigsquat 04-23-2014 11:50 PM

how did the regear go? i read that he said he would do both for you in one day. i just did mine again and have done some in the past and it still took me 16 hours. i did do ball joints as well and had a hard time with one seal.

tearin_updirt 04-24-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsquat (Post 22387729)
how did the regear go? i read that he said he would do both for you in one day. i just did mine again and have done some in the past and it still took me 16 hours. i did do ball joints as well and had a hard time with one seal.

Started at 9 finished at midnight

bigsquat 04-25-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tearin_updirt (Post 22388985)
Started at 9 finished at midnight

thats one long day! he earned his money

tearin_updirt 04-27-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigsquat (Post 22434009)

thats one long day! he earned his money

Hahaha yeah and I learned so much

The time now is 04:24 PM.