United Kindom - Vehicle Law Qs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Mexico/International > United Kindom - Vehicle Law Qs

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 02-01-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
jeepdude101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

United Kindom - Vehicle Law Qs

Hello Forum,

Just found out that I will be moving to England, just outside of London. I'm planning to take my TJ and see the sights...

I want to get her preped before we leave. I was intending to get the RE 3.5 SF lift before I left and do the regear and 33" tires later (hopefully, or just stick with the 31s).

Anyone have any insight on England laws regarding these types of issues? Will a lift kit prevent me from getting an MOT certification? Will there be a problem with transporting the TJ? Anything else I need to be concerned about before departing? Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Rob

SYE/CV-DS
Carolina Rockshop Fab Bumpers
KC Daylighters and Hella 500s
jeepdude101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2005, 12:27 AM   #2
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

the one thing that pops into my head is that you'll need EC-aproved headlight lenses for left drive. on the mods: i most EC coutries mod vihecule can be imported as a unique vehicule. but to keep things simple: is there no way to keep you US registration?

be shure to studie the rights of ways before you go exploring...

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
Kameel

Quote:
There are International agreements which provide for the temporary use of a vehicle in a foreign country for a limited time, usually 6 months in a 12 month period. A visitor to the UK may use a vehicle displaying foreign plates, provided that all taxes (including vehicle excise duty) are paid in their country of origin.
Got that here.
So, if it's not permanent you can keep your own plates...

About your mods:check that same site on this page.. section B.

Good luck!
Unread 02-15-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
jeepdude101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Kameel and MugZy and sorry for the late response. After some additional research I've noticed there are a number of jeep owners who do possess ATV's with lift kits - I'm assuming I won't have any problems getting my Jeep certified to drive.

Arrival date is 30 June! We're very excited about coming over. Also, it appears there is a number of Green Lane's over there, especially in the Cambridgeshire area, to go exploring. I definaltely plan on trying that out shortly after our arrival.

Thanks again for your assistance.
SYE/CV-DS
Unread 02-18-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Mike WJUK
2000 WJ 

Hi Rob

A few bits of info from the UK. There are loads of Jeeps over here running with lift kits, so its no problem on that front. The main thing is if you have wider wheels & tyres you need them covered with extended flares/arches or whatever you guys call them over there
I would recommend purchasing anything you need for your Jeep before you leave 'cos we pay through the nose for most parts & accessories over here.
Also there are quite a few local and national clubs to look up if you fancy it, the main 2 being Jeepclub (jeepclub.co.uk) & J33p Adventure club (j33p.org).

Oh, and you'll need some cash for gas ,its about $7 a gallon

Hope this is of some help.

Mike
Unread 03-01-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
jeepdude101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great - there's another 400 bucks I didn't want to spend. I'm trying to think of stuff I would need to buy before I leave, i.e. plugs, brakes, fluids, etc., this is getting pretty expensive. I don't even want to think about the fuel

Thanks for the info...
SYE/CV-DS
Unread 03-01-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
Mike WJUK
2000 WJ 

Rob,
It's not so much general stuff like oil's, plugs etc. that are expensive but Jeep spares & accessories as most of them have to come from over there. There is no problem with actually getting them here though, most stuff is readily available, Jeeps have been over here "officially" with main dealers etc, since the early 90's. But just as an example, i've just paid nearly £60 ($110?) for a Warn receiver shackle that sells for about $40 over there, & £50 ($90) for a Jeep front skid plate that you could get for about $50, so if you need to replace or add anything to your ride i'd recommend you sort do it before you leave.
If you have any more questions i'd be glad to try & help.
Hope you enjoy it over here, just be prepared for some mud
Mike
Unread 04-11-2005, 04:22 AM   #8
chris alps

Jeepdude, how much will it cost to bring the Jeep over?
chris alps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.