The Ultimate Jeep Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Mexico/International > The Ultimate Jeep Trip

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
globalnomad
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The Ultimate Jeep Trip

I am planning a major trip cross country into Central America for a surf trip. I am planning on going through Baja, Mainland Mex, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicoragua, Costa Rica, Panama, and maybe even South America in search of surf. The vehicle that's going to get me there is my '05 TJ. Right now it is stock, but I plan on making a few changes to make it worthy of such a voyage.

Here's where you all come in. I need some advice on what things you might think I will need, and if I am over looking anything. I am planning on putting a 4" suspension lift with 33x12.50 tires. Im thinking of going with teraflex's s4t with bilstein 5100 series shocks. I know I will do a good bit of on-road driving, but when I get off road, things will be getting a bit nasty. Especially during the rainy season and all the washed out rivers and sticky muddy clay that comes with it. I origionally was wanting to put some swamper ssr's on there, but will they wear out too fast? What do you all recomend?

*I have other additions planned, but this is a good start for suggestions/comments

globalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A gun. No wait, a big gun.
Unread 05-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wup This View Post
And about 5 grand gas money. For that kind of trip I'd pass on the swampers. Get some bf goodrich all terrains instead. If your set on a mt then get something a little more road worthy, like bf mt or goodyear mtr, or something along that line.
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wup This View Post
Not a bad idea, as long as wherever you're going will legally let you carry.

If the Jeep is the only thing going, get a winch (and all the necessary accessories like a snatch block, tree saver, and even a pull pal if you have room). GPS would also be a great tool in case you get lost. If you're going to be driving on the sand, then air down your tires to lessen the chance of getting stuck. In this case, you'll also need an air compressor of some sort in order to air up your tires when you're ready to leave. On-board air is very popular (it's reliable and FAST), but I picked up a $14.99 air compressor on sale at Wal-Mart that hasn't let me down (but it's slow as heck). Still on the subject of tires, get some tire plugs in case you catch a nail or something and need a temp. fix before you have it professionally fixed. If you're going to be camping out in the woods/beach, then obviously the regular necessities come to mind, but you may also want to upgrade your vehicle's battery (Optima, Diehard Platinum, etc) in case you're using it to power anything else.

Just a couple things to think about, not nearly everything that you need.
Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

mosquito netting and bug spray- tire patch/plug kit and I dont think id wanna take that trip without a gun (it would probably prevent me from going if I couldnt) Sure sounds like one hell of a good time though, just watch out for the bandits -lol
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
globalnomad
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, the gun is a must.

The problem with the all-terrains is they will become completly useless when I am going to need the 4wd. I have seen they type of terrain, and it would gum them up faster than they could get rid of it. I mean, realistically I will be doing under 8k of highway driving...the rest will be offroad.

On top of the lift, tires, I plan on adding lights, snorkel, winch, hard top, and other stuff to make myself as self sufficent as possible.
globalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I gotta say it again...........sure sounds like fun. I say go ahead and get whatever tires you want. So what if they wear out faster, you dont wanna get stuck in BFE or BF"wherever"
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
DRE.
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds awesome! How long are you going to be gone, and how far south do you plan on going?
DRE. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
03silversport
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I totally agree with taking a firearm as i would definetaly want some kind of protection, however you will be stopped frequently by federales in the backcountry who will search your vehicle. If they find any contraband, i.e. guns, drugs, etc. you will be on the fast track to a mexican jail cell. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a few playboy's and a couple cartons of cigarettes with you to offer as "tokens of your appreciation" at these backcountry roadblocks, checkpoints, or whenever you find yourself in front of an 18 year old federale with an AK47.
03silversport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
CrzyWhtBy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a great trip, how long are you planning to be on this surfari? I just got back from Costa Rica and had a blast, the surf is unreal. The roads are terrible and there is a serious concern for theft with unmonitored vehicles. I would say the hard top is a must. I would not try to get too crazy off road if you only have one vehicle. Take it slow and easy down there and you will have the time of your life. Also remember to give to the locals, great people and very poor anything helps.
Unread 05-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Do Not take a fiream into Mexico without prior approval. You could very easily end up in jail for a very long time.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
cb19950
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you may also wanna think about fuel pumps, water pumps, belts, hoses, alternators, and anything else that could go out and need to be replaced...i think it would be a ***** to get parts down there

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
cb19950 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
Rubi22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where in FL are you? East coast I assume if you surf.. I'll be in Cocoa Beach this weekend. I'm going to try and learn how to surf.
Rubi22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
commodog
1999 TJ Wrangler 

google for a website called "driving baja", it has forums with stories of people dealing with fake mexican police and corrupt officers.
After driving into mexico numerous times over the years (never in a jeep, always in a car) I think the best thing you can take is a second vehicle with people in it.
In the Army we call it a battle buddy.

Do not take a gun. I recommend a 5 or 6 cell maglight instead, its legal and will knock the sh** out of someone who tries something.

And learn some spanish
commodog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #15
Wup This
1998 XJ Cherokee 

On another note, I have SSR's on my Jeep and most of my buddies run some form of the same tire and routinely get about 40 to 50 thousand miles on them. They are bullet proof and battle tested and aside from really being a pain in the *** to balance a good tire choice for going just about anywhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.