German law and jeeps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Mexico/International > German law and jeeps?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

German law and jeeps?

As you can tell I live in Germany for the time being (USAF). I have a few questions about what is legal here and what is not, I have heard some rumors and would love it if some one can help me out or even point to me a regulation that I can read, I would greatly appreciate it.

My main questions are...

-Is it legal to fold the windshield down? If so, what are the requirements to do so (eye protection, etc..)

-Is it legal to take the doors off? If legal, what are the requirements for mirrors? I had talked with some one (only person I've heard it from) that was told by a customs agent after import of their jeep that it's illegal to have the doors off?? I should note that I drive around with doors off all the time without mirrors (other than rear view) and haven't gotten one word said to me about (polizei or otherwise).

Last edited by flnbar; 06-04-2009 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: vague wording
flnbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
USAFRecon

Where are you in Germany? And no I do not think it is legal to go doorless. Did you try asking the SP's? By the way, I'm at Ramstein.
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

no, usually it's not legal if it's not written in your registration, to take the doors of.
But no one will accuse you if:
- you have a small chain between the hinge and the door latch
- you claim against officials you didn't know it's illegal- because your are a member of the Armed Forces.
Most officers have problems to speak English fluently, as a result they avoid it to speak as possible.Normally they just inform you, that is not allowed to go doorless.
Hah, I remember when I was constantly cought for speeding in the US... They always started like this is not the German Autobahn;-)
Deezelweazel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #4
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It΄s not allowed but the police doesn΄t care about that. If you still have mirrows, there is no problem. I drive all my Jeeps without doors since 1992.
12.000 lbs Winch • Synthetic Winch Line • 4x 130W Hellas • 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar • E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

sweeet. thanks for the help guys.

USAF I'm here pretty close to you. I'm at Spangdahlem until December. Hit me up!
Unread 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
USAFRecon

BTW Yes it is legal to run doorless in a Wrangler.
USAFRecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

Doors off. Well, legally... YJ up until a certain production number is legal with safety chain or strap. TJ, not legal. As for on post, 190-1 doesn't say anything about it. JK is not covered yet, so unless it's in your fahrzeugbrief, you can't legally drive with doors off.
Enforced? Probably not without some incident. If you have mirrors and your kids aren't hanging out, they'll mostly leave you alone. I'm sure it's someones pet-peave and they'll get you when they see you... Keep your feet inside, drive normal, have mirrors, and they'll mostly leave you alone. On post, you may get a ticket for parking unsecured vehicle.
Unread 02-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
nicolas-eric
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's wrong.

Without doors you cant lock them - no ticket.
If you have doors and you don't lock them - 30 Euro ticket.
12.000 lbs Winch • Synthetic Winch Line • 4x 130W Hellas • 4x 200W Hellas @ Lightbar • E-Fan
Jeep TJ Runicon Pics www.timbercrawler.de
nicolas-eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.