Centro Americanos? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Mexico/International > Centro Americanos?

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
curtis2010
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Centro Americanos?

Live in Guatemala, currently in Panama, see tons of Jeeps here...especially older XJs like mine. Any CA members here?

curtis2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
curtis2010
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, all this time and no reply. Interesting because there are loads of Jeeps (old and new) here in Panama. Here in Volcan, Panama alone there are about a dozen older (80-90's) Jeeps like mine. Could start a Jeep club right here.
Unread 01-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Turnando
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Curtis,
I'll be shipping my 2002 TJ down to Costa Rica in a year or so, after I have done everything to the Jeep that I plan on doing and have 100% faith in it.

I'm keeping the Jeep pretty close to stock. Going to do a lot of rust protection inside and out. Replace any steel component that I can w/ aluminum, stainless, etc. Out w/ the cast iron manifold and rusty exhaust and in w/ stainless Banks headers and pipes, etc. Going to go through every replaceable rusty bolt in the undercarriage and replace w/ fresh corrosion-resistant fasteners... undercoat that thing... all that stuff.

The Jeep is a white Sahara w/ tan hardtop and softop. I looked long and hard for a clean white Wrangler. My theory is that white helps beat the heat.

I'm going to coat the tub w/ white rhino liner this summer. I'd do it now but it is too cold and windy every day.

I love seeing Wranglers down there. I don't see very many, but do occasionally see one on the PanAm highway. They are rare enough that my biggest concern is going to be finding help for repairs that I can't do myself... that and the $4-$6 per gallon fuel prices in CR.

If I were more practical I would have gotten one of those crappy Korean 4WDs that are so prevalent down there but I've always dreamt of having a Jeep down there.
Turnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
curtis2010
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Cool. Where to in Costa Rica?

I shipped my Jeep to Guatemala back in 2005 (way cheaper and easier than driving). Dropped a rebuilt engine in it before sending it down. The old one still ran fine, but had over 200K miles on it. Road tripped all over Guatemala & Honduras and then a couple of years ago made a 6 week road trip from Guate to Panama...and ended up importing the Jeep into Panama.

We've driven it all over Panama west of the Canal. Have trips palnned to the Darien and other places east of the canal. After that can't drive any further east...no roads thru the Darien, but there is a ferry now...still a little hesistant to do much driving in Colombia though...maybe in a few years if the peace negotiations work out.

My Jeep is stock, but I plan to do some major projects this year. Still plan to keep it basically stock in appearance, but make some upgrades and improvements.

Good to get yours well prep'ed before coming down. Plenty of good mechanics in Central America at reasonable rates (only place I've ever tipped a mechanic!) so a good place to get projects done, but parts, at least for my old '89, are scarce and must be imported or found in salvage. Mechanics in Costa Rica I assume are more expensive than elsewhere in CA, like everything else there.

Bienvenidos a Centro America! ;-)
Unread 01-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
curtis2010
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnando View Post

If I were more practical I would have gotten one of those crappy Korean 4WDs that are so prevalent down there but I've always dreamt of having a Jeep down there.
At least in Panama its Toyota HiLuxes...practically every other vehicle you see (parts and service for these must be great). They are pretty popular elsewhere in CA too. Up in the Chiriqui highlands there are lots of old Toyota jeeps & trucks which are cool. Lots of older Jeeps up here too....must be a dozen older XJ's like mine just around Volcan.
Unread 02-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
Turnando
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Curtis,
I'll be down south on the Golfo Dulce. It's a small world down there, maybe we'll run into each other sometime. I'll be the gringo in a white TJ. Tan hard top in the rainy season. For now I'm a worker bee in the states, saving up so I can spend more time down there some day.
Turnando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
curtis2010
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnando View Post
Hey Curtis,
I'll be down south on the Golfo Dulce. It's a small world down there, maybe we'll run into each other sometime. I'll be the gringo in a white TJ. Tan hard top in the rainy season. For now I'm a worker bee in the states, saving up so I can spend more time down there some day.
Cool. I'll let you know if we get up that. Crossing the CR/Panama border with a private vehicle is PITA by the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.