African Jeep Safari - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Mexico/International > African Jeep Safari

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

View Poll Results: What do you think?
That's an awesome idea! 11 73.33%
That's a horrible idea! 1 6.67%
You're crazy! 1 6.67%
You're not the first to think of that, and there's already a place out there that will cater to you. 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
03jeeper78

African Jeep Safari

As Jeep owners, we dream of doing lots of cool (and sometimes crazy) stuff with our Jeeps. My dream is African Safari. I think I've had this dream for a while, but it was brought to the front of my mind by a couple episodes of The Amazing Race last year where they were driving across parts of Africa in Land Rovers. Does anyone know of any program where-by you could do an African Safari in your own Jeep? Second choice would be someone else's Jeep - but I want to drive.

BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
03jeeper78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #2
JeeperJo

In S. Africa they also have something called the Rust de Winter. It's an off-road challenge, and on their scales, serious challenges. After watching it I realized it was easier then tellico on obstacles. I'd love to haul the jeep down there and show em how we do it!

pix

I know next year I'll be visiting Kruger N.P. Found this on the website. That'd be sweet. 4x4 trails
[COLOR=Orange][SIZE=3]Orange Jeep Club Member #9[/SIZE] [/COLOR]
JeeperJo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
NOTQUITEMUSASHI
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i'm in! lets go! i'll load ole yeller right after i get back from Japan
Yellow Jeep Club Member #91
CSA Jeepers Association Member#2
MERRY WACKO JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1
I BUILT MY OWN JEEP JEEP CLUB MEMBER #91
Apathetic jeep club for people who don't care about people who don't give a rats a$$ about people who have an apathetic jeep club jeep club club member # f this
RE 2.5XD + .5 shackles
ho-made f & r bumpers
bfg mt 33", 4.10's D30 xjD44
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecord
NOTQUITEMUSASHI and tcourdin, TJVigilante might not like you guys, BUT I LOVE YOU! Can we have a 3 way? :rofl:
NOTQUITEMUSASHI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2005, 06:21 AM   #4
uglyprimate

With the cost of transport, you're better off buying a Jeep in Africa, doing the trip, then selling it afterwards.

Or, go to Bush Gardens or some other kind of drive through "safari" game park. doubt if they let you in with a convertible.

If you're looking for a "trans-Africa" trip, start small. Trek across Mexico instead. Animals may not be as big, but it's just as foreign and just as dangerous.

Overland.net from South Africa used to be a great source for information. Or for an Australian influence, go to ausjeepoffroad.com The outback is a world in it's own.

His: 2000 Sport TJ, OME, 3.73's, 31x10.5 ATKO, Trash Loc
Hers: 2004 Unlimited, Arizona pinstriped and Moab deflowered.
uglyprimate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
U.S.MarineLJ

I to have thought about this. I'm hopefully going to be able to do this on your dime (taxpayer) . In a year or two I'm going to apply to be a Marine Security Guard Detachment Commander (embassy Marine for you civilians). The Marine Corps/Department of State allow the DetCmdr to ship one vehicle overseas, lets just say the wifes Honda Civic isn't going to make the trip . Hopefully I will wind up someplace cool in Africa, I mean to go wheeling. I hear that Africa for the most part sucks, but I bet there are some cool areas to go wheeling. So here is to you Mr. taxpayer man. P.S. I pay taxes as well unless I ever make it to a combat zone, then it is tax free for me! CHA CHING!

[URL=http://www.jeepreviews.com]JeepReviews.com[/URL]

Awesome site with writeups. [url]http://www.4x4xplor.com/tj.html[/url]

Another awesome site for writeups.

[url]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
U.S.MarineLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I thinks its a cool idea, just not practical at all. Now if your Bill Gates sure, but my sister and brother-in-law lived in Tanzania, and owned a bed and breakfast in South Africa, and from talking to them first hand I dont see your dream happening.

What I could see you doing is a going to say S. Africa and renting a Toyota and doing what you have planned to some extent, but bear in mind that those countrys are very very rural in most parts, little or no law enforcement also, with very very rugged terrain and if you break down nobodys coming to get you period.

Also Land Rovers, Toyotas, Nissan, Isuzu, Mistu. are far far more common than the Jeep, and most are diesel which is better b/c of the mileage and also the fuel over there isnt as clean and engine friendly as here, so diesel makes up for it, b/c its kinda a dirty fuel to start.

I once asked my brother-in-law about Land Rovers etc, and his resonse was I would take a Toyota landcrusier over any, I drove them over what are considered roads in Tanzania for 3 yrs, with nary a rattle or problem. Parts for the Toyotas are cheaper than the Land Rovers and sometimes it takes weeks, or even months to get a part if at all.

So in closing consider Mexico, closer, cheaper, and much more likely to happen, or think down under......good luck...and I hope you dont take this as me shooting down your dreams just trying to be helpful.

Shawn
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
JeeperJo

Like said, good luck in finding a Jeep, but if you REALLY have the money, buy a new Land Rover Defender. They sell NEW over there for what they sell used over here. Then when you are done wheeling, ship it on home.

I'm really considering the wheeling thing down there in Kruger since I'll be down that way next year for about a month or so to see family and do some photography.
[COLOR=Orange][SIZE=3]Orange Jeep Club Member #9[/SIZE] [/COLOR]
JeeperJo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2005, 01:24 AM   #8
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

one way to get a jeep in africa in to buy one in europe, say spain, than take the boat to marrokko (only a few hours) and keep driving till you reach south africa... make sure you carry the obiouve spare parts, and make sure you have good travel insurance

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
U.S.MarineLJ

Bring exact change and hand sanitzer

When I was on embassy duty in Bangkok, Thailand I worked with a Marine who's previous post was Africa. He was statione in Kampala, Uganda. He related a story to me of paying for fuel during a detachment outing. I believe they were going to some famous lake in Uganda. Anyways enroute as the distance was great and the Marines armored suburban sucked gas like it was cool they had to of course stop for fuel. A Captain was accompanying the Marines, the Captain paid for the fuel. The African (Ugandan) gas station attendent then proceeded to reach into the back of his underwear and pull out the change! Needless to say the Capt let the gas station clerk keep the change. True story.

[URL=http://www.jeepreviews.com]JeepReviews.com[/URL]

Awesome site with writeups. [url]http://www.4x4xplor.com/tj.html[/url]

Another awesome site for writeups.

[url]www.stu-offroad.com[/url]
U.S.MarineLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
03jeeper78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugZy_YJ_94
one way to get a jeep in africa in to buy one in europe, say spain, than take the boat to marrokko (only a few hours) and keep driving till you reach south africa... make sure you carry the obiouve spare parts, and make sure you have good travel insurance
That's actually not a bad idea... I wonder if I could sell the Jeep in South Africa when I get there.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount

Unread 10-19-2005, 11:20 AM   #11
03jeeper78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperJo
Like said, good luck in finding a Jeep, but if you REALLY have the money, buy a new Land Rover Defender. They sell NEW over there for what they sell used over here. Then when you are done wheeling, ship it on home.

I'm really considering the wheeling thing down there in Kruger since I'll be down that way next year for about a month or so to see family and do some photography.
That Krueger thing sounds pretty close to what I want to do... a self-drive wheeling/safari trip. Now just to get a Wrangler on the trails I noticed some wranglers and CJ's in that other website you linked, so they must not be totally uncommon. Thanks for the links
BSMCCEP Club Member #45

Unread 10-20-2005, 01:16 AM   #12
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03jeeper78
That's actually not a bad idea... I wonder if I could sell the Jeep in South Africa when I get there.
you can always put it in a container and ship it to your home and sell or keep it there. defenatly wourth looking into, as renting container space isn't realy that expencive.from antwerp to US east coast id about 1000

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #13
03jeeper78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugZy_YJ_94
you can always put it in a container and ship it to your home and sell or keep it there. defenatly wourth looking into, as renting container space isn't realy that expencive.from antwerp to US east coast id about 1000
I thought of that, but I've read about people trying to import foreign cars (Japaneese - Nissan Skylines) to the U.S. which aren't built to be sold here - and the time, expense, and hassle of dealing with US Customs and Dept. of Transportation is pretty unbelieveable
BSMCCEP Club Member #45

Unread 10-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #14
kcphilaflyer

I cruised around Kenya in the back of a 4 wheel drive mini van looking thing for a month, does that count (but I never got to drive though).
2" RE BB, 1" PA BL, 1" MORE MML
AtoZ Rockers, Uniden/2ft Firestick(stolen), Nth Degree Oil Skid, JKS Discos

1986 Red CJ-7 Spring '89 - Spring '96, R.I.P.

Red Jeep Club Member #289
Pix
kcphilaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #15
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Here is something I would want to do. Why Land Rover gets all the fun????

http://www.drivearoundtheworld.com/route/index.html
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.