6 months wheeling through Mexico - YJ90' - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Mexico/International > 6 months wheeling through Mexico - YJ90'

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-21-2005, 03:37 PM   #31
cavebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Sounds like you had an awesome trip, looks like fun
Thanks much and yes, geat time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two nights to go in Todos Santos, we have been trying to do everything we love to do here for the past week or so. Catching sunsets, long beach hikes, walks with our dog friends, hanging out at the beach or pool and exploring the mountains.

This has been great here but we are anxious to hit the road again. We've used up over a third of our 6 month Mexican Visa here in the Baja but have barely begun our adventure. The excitement has been increasing every day. We're looking at guide books and discussing routes and scenarios. This is so great having my best friend along with me on this open-ended adventure and planning the route together.

I do one last trip to the ATM then hit the taqueria on the way back and get tacos to go (para llevar).

I look across the street and see a bunch of adventure looking motorcycles pulling in. I go have a chat and ask if they're adventure riders. I get a thumbs up, then I say "I'm cavebiker". Wow, we all explode in conversation. The internet can be so great. This is Brad, Tim, Mark, Burt and Lee from NM. Some of them did the Mexico mainland west coast last year. I was getting some great info.

I say to them "Are you real adventure riders?"

cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #32
cavebiker

We were sad to leave Todos Santos but anxious to hit the road again.
Packed up and ready to go:

It was a short ride to Los Barriles. No budget hotels here so we planned to pitch the tent. This is the windsurf hot spot of the Baja. We planned to maybe stay two weeks here so I can get my wind fix. Wave surfing was cool but to me it was too much waiting around for a good wave only to ride it a short distance. Windsurfing in big winds is high intensity high speed fun for as long as your body can hold on, more my style. At Los Barriles we had the camp spot practically to our selves.

Our tent was a hundred yards from this spot, pool, tiki bar, deck and beach, we are likin it! The first day the winds were cranking, people were launching their windsurfers right in front of us. I inquired about the Vela windsurf rental place and found it was just right next door but it closed for the season a few weeks ago. I can't believe it. My only regret so far on this trip was not hauling my own windsurfer and sails. Over the last couple months I've had at least a dozen high wind opportunities to sail but had no rig. I kept telling myself "there's windsurf rentals in Los Barriles", guess it wasn't meant to be.This was still a great place to hang out and we had a great time.

Los Barriles has some of the best fishing in the world. This guy caught two Marlins today and one yesterday. He said it took over an hour to land it and it was flying out of the water and putting up quite a struggle, how cool!

We found a health club just a short walk from our tent, $15 for a week. The owners were super friendly and everyone working out acted like a big extended family and were quick to include Heidi and I in on the fun.

Thursday came and it was the weekend of Easter, this is a huge weekend for Mexicans. The camp area and beach was filling up. We found our tent surrounded by Mexican families all setting up for the weekend. Baja Mexicans sure know how to camp bringing tables, chairs, grills, electric coffee makers, deep fryers, stereos and whatever. The gringo RV'ers were storming out not wanting to be part of the scene saying "There's so many Mexicans here!" We thought to ourselves, Duh, this is Mexico. Friday morning Heidi and I are up drinking coffee and reading in our tent when all of sudden a neighbor pops up at our tent door with a plate of food, deep fried fish, cut limes, cilantro, mayo and tortillas, what a friendly gesture! The fish was some of the best we have ever had, it was called Cabrilla.
Unread 12-21-2005, 03:39 PM   #33
cavebiker

The Monday after Easter we go have an early workout then head out to La Paz where we will catch a ferry to the mainland.

We were too late for the ferry so we checked into a nice hotel right on the malecon, Los Arcos. We really like La Paz so it was an easy job to convince Heidi to stay here two nights.

A great lunch spot just off the malecon.

4 tacos, 2 quesadillas a beer and all the fixings, $6

The malecon in La Paz is great.

The ferry leaves at 3:00 PM today. Baja rules!
Unread 12-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #34
tcourdin

Man that looks fun! I just scrolled through and read a few parts but I will definately read the whole thing soon. Thanks for posting the adventure! The last time I was in Mexico dirt biking I ended up in jail! . However I have always planned to build a bike and race Baja someday. It looks dangerousely fun!
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #35
cavebiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin
Man that looks fun! I just scrolled through and read a few parts but I will definately read the whole thing soon. Thanks for posting the adventure! The last time I was in Mexico dirt biking I ended up in jail! . However I have always planned to build a bike and race Baja someday. It looks dangerousely fun!
For sure! If the Baja doesn’t bring the racing fever out in you, you don’t have the bug. I hope you build that bike!
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:54 AM   #36
cavebiker

Latest Update 4/7/05:
In La Paz we ordered a couple lattes grande to go and arrived at the ferry terminal early. All the ferry's I have ever been on were much smaller and cars parked on the deck. This boat is huge having three decks below for parking, private rooms, big TV room, restaurant and bar lounge.

The port here is beautiful.

The ride over to the mainland is over 5 hours long. We forgot our playing cards in the jeep and the parking decks are locked down until we dock on the mainland. Heidi and I are good at making the best of a situation so we snag a good spot in the lounge and enjoy the scene. Each beer comes with a half lime dipped in salt. Six packs topped with salted limes were flowing between the lounge and decks all evening long.

Live music was going on in the far corner and the lounge was full of activity. Of course I pick the rowdiest group to go and practice a little Spanish with. They were all doing something to the guy passed out on the lower right in this photo, funny.

www.bajabikers.com They are on their way to Mazatlan for bike week. "Super" I said, "so are we".They took our photo and said it will be in their web site. Nice group.

The lounge was kind of low key about the live music until one of the bajabiker dudes started to sing. This guy had passion when he sang and the lounge went wild.

Coming into port, Topolobampo on mainland Mexico. We look for a hotel in Los Mochas, a bigger town 6 miles away. The first hotel we check had fallen under the so called 'Lonely planet' syndrome, where prices have doubled and services cut in half because the hotel was recommended in the guide book. Over 40 bucks and the rooms were a hole. The next hotel was in the center of town red light area but was nice, cheap and had a restaurant for breakfast.

We were seeing the bajabikers all the way down to Mazatlan.

Mexico bikers. Chatting at the stops. We followed them on an alternate route into Mazatlan along the free road.
Unread 12-22-2005, 06:55 AM   #37
cavebiker

In Mazatlan we get a cheap hotel right on the malecon across from the beach. We're out walking the first day and find out Vicente Fox is in town and will speak just up the road from us.

Mazatlan is great. Old town area.

New tourist area,

Lots of people out having fun.

Great gym right on the malecon. Why do I like to work out?

Lots of bikes.

Nice XS650 chopper

To be Continued:
Unread 12-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #38
cavebiker

Here we Go!
I'm on my way to the gym walking when an official looking dune buggy was coming toward me, a guy stood up, pointed his megaphone at me and said (what I picked up) "Oye! Listo por gran paseado" - "Hey you, get ready for the grand parade!" All the biker's parade along the malecon (sea side road) for bike week and this is it. It seemed like everyone in the whole town was lining up along the malecon to watch. :eek1

I start shooting, enjoy. :lurk

The mood was 'WILD'

Unread 12-22-2005, 10:08 PM   #39
cavebiker

Biking in Mexico is a real family affair.

This biker looked about eight.

Last edited by cavebiker; 12-23-2005 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: clean
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:11 AM   #40
cavebiker

These guys were doing constant front wheel wheelies. See the guy on back doing a 'look at me, no hands' crazy!

A few wheelie guys would hold up the pack so they could do their stuff. A crash happened right in front of us from a wheelier just when my camera filled up. Bummer no shots of the wipe out but the guy hopped right back on and rode off. Shorts and no helmet, glad he was OK!

Why would a guy not want to be a biker?

Don't need a Harley.

or even a road bike.

I never saw this guy on anything but two wheels, wow!

More fun.

Unread 12-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #41
cavebiker

I thought it looked sexy when I took it?

High fivin the crowd.

That's our place'Hotel Del Sol '.
Mazatlan kicks!

To be continued: I hope you enjoyed!!!!
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:14 AM   #42
cavebiker

Broken down in Mexico-2:

Hotel Del Sol:
Heidi & I like Mazatlan and our little hotel Del Sol a lot. We are right across the street from the beach and about midway between the busy hotel tourist zone and the old Mazatlan beach area. About a 4 or 5 mile malecon walkway connects the two areas and is always a buzz of activity. In the evening it fills with walkers, runners, bikers and skaters. Mazatlan Bike week marks the end of high tourist season, all the prices of the discount hotels drop. We go have a chat with the manager and ask what he can do for us if we stay another week. I have a lot of fun with the money negotiations and pay attention not to show our whole hand at once. I start out by asking for a quote for a week for our same small with no frills room. I said "Good, but we would like to be in another room with a kitchen" The manager quotes us another price and says "This just covers expenses" Heidi and I look at each other with a disappointed look. Then I say "What can you do if we stay two weeks" he says "how much can you afford?" Heidi fires back a quick "Not much!" Everyone is smiling and having fun with this then the manager quotes another price, 350 pesos for the best room in the hotel, I say "Yes but 300 pesos" We end up at 330 pesos cash, about $30 US. We move into the bungalow suite and are likin it. ?

The duck sprays water out of its mouth during the day. Some days we love the duck, some days we don't.

Lots of night life just up the road. A taxi to any club is $3.50 US or a bus is 80 cents a person.

The malecon scene from the hotel. The beach is nice clean sand almost the whole stretch.
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #43
cavebiker

Here are some photos of a walk along the malecon toward old Mazatlan and eventually to the lighthouse at the end of town.
Mazatlan fishermen cleaning their catch.

Old Mazatlan beach area. On Sundays this area fills with people.

The Mazatlan malecon is filled with art.

At the end of town past the port area is the second highest light house in the world. We are going to make it all the way to the top this time.
Refreshments along the way.

Heidi has always been a turtle lover. 'Save the Sea Turtle'

The climb begins.
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:17 AM   #44
cavebiker

We made it, steep hike.

Coming down.

I help with encouraging words "Take short steps and be like a goat", Heidi “@&%!â€.

Big cruise ships come in here.

After a hike we sometimes stop for a little lunch. This time a snack and a beer in Mazatlan's old downtown area. It felt good after a long hike. We like the ceviche, the best type of fish cooked in lime juice with cilantro and tortillas on the side.

You can buy anything in the old downtown area. These are all buckets filled with different types of sea food.

This guy is squeezing fresh oranges for us. After squeezing, the OJ is whipped up with ice and poured into a tall glass.

Market Central in old Mazatlan . This building covers a full block and is filled inside and out with tons of stuff from restaurants to sides of beef to shoes and just about everything else you don't need.

Around the Market Central.

This family had a scale and was running some type of business right here on the corner across from market central.
Unread 12-23-2005, 07:18 AM   #45
cavebiker

The open air taxis are fun and the weather is perfect for them.

The mixer must have broken down so these guys were mixing it by hand right on the road.

Inside Market Central.

Check out the pig nose.

Whole cow. Imagine the smell@.

And fruit.

Great goat cheese.

There are great street cafes everywhere in Mazatlan. Here they tell me I have to run across the street to get the beers, fun.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.