Workouts for people with spinal issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Workouts for people with spinal issues

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Workouts for people with spinal issues

I am currently looking for workouts that I can do without injuring myself further while loosing weight. I have spondylolisthesis at C4-C5 and bulging discs at L4-L5-S1 along with nerve damage in my neck. Can anyone recommend strength building techniques that wont cause further issues? I weigh in around 330 currently which is down from my high of 360 but I'm struggling to loose more at this point. My current retinue is walking as much as my body will let me along with a series of stretches my physical therapist gave me when I went.

thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
cavscout187
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Over head arm claps. Cut meat out of you diet I lost 40 lbs just doing that nothing else. Sweet suits help a lot they get rid of water weight so when your walking it burns fat instead of water stores. Look in to yoga I've taken a few classes it will whoop your *** plus the hot chicks love the guy struggling

After I got blown up in Iraq my l1 through 4 are almost fused I understand back pain blows and working out makes it hurt so much more!
cavscout187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Are you able to ride an upright stationary bike at all?
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do yoga. That works wonders on people with injuries. I used to do it and it definitly loosened me up. I watched a video about a paratrooper that was injured over time in jump excercises. Doctors told him he would probably never walk again. After xx weeks/years of yoga, he was able to not only walk but also run.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
Are you able to ride an upright stationary bike at all?
I can but it can cause some pain. I do understand pain can be good to a point and have felt those limits.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What about swimming?
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I did swim when I had my pool up but gotta build a retaining wall and move it into the final place before I fill it back up.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a disintegrating vertibrae at T-12, I realised I had to do something, the more weight I put on the more it hurt, the more I lost the better it was, I realised its easier to go to the grocery store if I'm pushing the cart, so I use the push bar on my treadmill at first to simulate the cart and started walking everyday, nothing strenuous at first, just 30 min at 2.5 - 2.7 mph (I'm 6'1" and that is a normal stride for me to walk), the more I do it the more I try to turn up the speed, just a little every couple weeks, I try to eat better, thats the hard part as I drive all day (propane delivery, so some exercise). My biggest problem is staying motivated, I try to make myself not listen to my heads excuses for why I cant or shouldnt today, but its hard and ignoring me doesnt always work.

Oddly my other job is turning wrench and the more time I spend working on trucks and fabrication the better I feel, especially if its a hard day with lots of tires.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.