What protein do you suggest? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > What protein do you suggest?

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #31
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, never tried elite

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie
No, never tried elite

10-4. Thanks again guys!
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #33
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I suggest bacon for protein. Muscle meatheads ftw! Lol.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
I suggest bacon for protein. Muscle meatheads ftw! Lol.
Lol
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #35
98ZJLTD
1998 ZJ 

I used to take the optimum nutrition gold standard 100% whey protein, however the guy down at the suplement shop recommended intek evolution since I was trying to lean out. The intek is egg white protein and is time released. Not real sure how that works, but I've been happy with it so far. Runs about $60 for a 5 pound tub.

My build thread- [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/98zjltds-build-thread-1557637/[/url]
98ZJLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #36
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ZJLTD
I used to take the optimum nutrition gold standard 100% whey protein, however the guy down at the suplement shop recommended intek evolution since I was trying to lean out. The intek is egg white protein and is time released. Not real sure how that works, but I've been happy with it so far. Runs about $60 for a 5 pound tub.
It's similar to Phase 8, Dymatize iso-7 and MP's combat powders. There are multiple protein sources so you get quick acting proteins combined with slow digesting proteins. These types of proteins are released into your system over 0-7 hours or so.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #37
phish832
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Progenex. Google it. Expensive but it is VERY legit product and quality. Thank me later
Unread 10-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #38
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phish832
Progenex. Google it. Expensive but it is VERY legit product and quality. Thank me later
http://www.grizzlystrong.com/product-review-progenex/

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #39
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Hahaha.

Well I dragged *** ordering it because I'm a cheap ***. No more buy 2 get 1 for the MuscleTech. Gonna wait for the next deal and get on it I figure.
Unread 10-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #40
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
Hahaha. Well I dragged *** ordering it because I'm a cheap ***. No more buy 2 get 1 for the MuscleTech. Gonna wait for the next deal and get on it I figure.
Check the current Dymatize specials through bodybuilding.com. I think they have a buy two 2lbs & get one free or a 4lb tub & get a 2lb free promotion currently.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #41
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I like to have 100% whey casein and mass gainer all on hand. I only use optimum nutrition then I can mix or take what I need. I normally just do a shake a day unless I don't have time to eat good meals. I wish I had the time to get all my nutrition from God made foods.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #42
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj
You are correct protein is not a lipid (fat) in starting form. However excess protein can be stored in your body as fat. So that is something to be careful of. My advice Mike is become aware of good and bad fats, and how and where they come from. Also amino acids are an important role as far as proteins go. For protein, first off make sure you're eating healthy then worry about protein shakes. For protein shakes I prefer Musclepharm combat or ON (Gold standard mentioned above). I like the combat because it is a mix of whey, hydro whey, egg and casein (IIRC). So it has the quick and slow digesting for after workout and to keep me going throughout the day. Bodybuilding.com does have awesome deals, where I get all my stuff. Depending on your goals and current physical level would depend on the amount of protein you should be intaking. I'm not a nutritionist but if you want to talk more in detail you can always PM m.
I know this I a couple months old, but this is very well said and good advice. I can break it down a bit further. I study dietetics/nutrition as my major and have been in the field for quite a while

Proteins are less likely to be stored as fats than carbs and fats, but they can be under the right(wrong) circumstances, I.e. Excessive caloric consumption. But you can have an accumulation of ammonia in the body from the broken down proteins which can affect the brain and kidneys. Stick to 1g protein per body lb MAX and adjust as weight increase. Technically for anabolism its 1-1.5g per 2.2 lbs but there's a lot of debate about that.

I'm not saying don't eat carbs/fats bc you NEED those for proper muscle gains, but proteins build enzymes, hormones, and much more and are typically utilized to a much greater extent and thus less likely stored as fat.

Carbs will run your body and fuel your brain, but when excess has been consumed an muscle glycogen is replenished your body will not waist this diamond coated gasoline, so it will be converted and stored as fats for later use. Small portions and frequency are best.

For fats, focus on flax, sunflower and olive oil (cold, do not heat) for dressings or canola oil for cooking. Use sparingly. Little bits goes a long way. Like 1-2 tablespoon per serving

Focus on eating quality foods through out the day and use a whey protein (fast absorption) pre (1hour before) and post workout(immediately after) with 2g creatine each shake to stay anabolic in the gym and step up the recovery.

If your diet is really lacking in QUANTITY then use the sustain release shakes (musclepharm combat or another whey/egg/casein) to wash down your meals, but try and focus on "food" for they have much more nutrients and phytonutrients to offer

Sorry for the rant Michael!

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #43
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Don't apologize man. Good info there. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I posted this thread and have yet to get any protein lol. I'm a schmuck.
Unread 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #44
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
Don't apologize man. Good info there. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I posted this thread and have yet to get any protein lol. I'm a schmuck.
You have my number now, shoot me a text if you ever have any questions On this stuff. I will be a registered dietitian here in the next year. One more semester left, woot!!!

I would go for the optimum protein for the whey and dymatize elite xt is a great and inexprensive anytime sustained protein.

Flavors will be different for everyone. I sell more vanilla proteins than every flavor combined, but personally hate vanilla.

The banana nut dymatize elite xt and the mocha 100% whey are my personal favs

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #45
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post

I know this I a couple months old, but this is very well said and good advice. I can break it down a bit further. I study dietetics/nutrition as my major and have been in the field for quite a while

Proteins are less likely to be stored as fats than carbs and fats, but they can be under the right(wrong) circumstances, I.e. Excessive caloric consumption. But you can have an accumulation of ammonia in the body from the broken down proteins which can affect the brain and kidneys. Stick to 1g protein per body lb MAX and adjust as weight increase. Technically for anabolism its 1-1.5g per 2.2 lbs but there's a lot of debate about that.

I'm not saying don't eat carbs/fats bc you NEED those for proper muscle gains, but proteins build enzymes, hormones, and much more and are typically utilized to a much greater extent and thus less likely stored as fat.

Carbs will run your body and fuel your brain, but when excess has been consumed an muscle glycogen is replenished your body will not waist this diamond coated gasoline, so it will be converted and stored as fats for later use. Small portions and frequency are best.

For fats, focus on flax, sunflower and olive oil (cold, do not heat) for dressings or canola oil for cooking. Use sparingly. Little bits goes a long way. Like 1-2 tablespoon per serving

Focus on eating quality foods through out the day and use a whey protein (fast absorption) pre (1hour before) and post workout(immediately after) with 2g creatine each shake to stay anabolic in the gym and step up the recovery.

If your diet is really lacking in QUANTITY then use the sustain release shakes (musclepharm combat or another whey/egg/casein) to wash down your meals, but try and focus on "food" for they have much more nutrients and phytonutrients to offer

Sorry for the rant Michael!
Do you see any issues using a protein supplement on off days, or should it be used as only pre and post workout?

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.