What protein do you suggest? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > What protein do you suggest?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's a lot of grams. 323 average. I didn't even know it was possible for normal people to intake that much :laugh

Unread 08-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lol. It's obviously going to be harder the more you weigh. When I started lifting I was ~145lbs so it wasn't that hard for me.

Just start out adding in more protein. Force yourself to eat more and get on a schedule where you eat more frequently. Just like how you won't see results from lifting overnight, you can't have a perfect diet overnight.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I weighed in a 214 this morning. I'm guessing the protein shakes will account for a chunk of that. So I don't think it'll be bad. Just never realized that's how much was needed. You guys are good.
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Like Tucson said, it'll vary between people. I doubt I get much more than 1g/lb and I've been seeing regular results.

Unread 08-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Food is the best protein source. It's cheaper and better for you.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy
Food is the best protein source. It's cheaper and better for you.
I'd have to eat three pounds of chicken or turkey to get the amount I'd need. Less a tiny amount for the few cups of fruit I'd was. Which depending on what kind, wouldn't be hardly anything. Unless its pineapple or prunes which have a fair amount to my surprise.

I agree though. If I could eat it I would, but it seems unrealistic.

Although, unless I slaughter the animals myself, I'd probably be eating a comparable amount of man made chemicals. Unfortunately.
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
I'd have to eat three pounds of chicken or turkey to get the amount I'd need. Less a tiny amount for the few cups of fruit I'd was. Which depending on what kind, wouldn't be hardly anything. Unless its pineapple or prunes which have a fair amount to my surprise.

Although, unless I slaughter the animals myself, I'd probably be eating a comparable amount of man made chemicals. Unfortunately.
the first question is what are your goals currently? lose weight? gain muscle? both? you can't do both at the same time (i mean a little but not significantly). that will help dictate your true protein intake. So if you're trying to lose weight you'd be closer to .8 to 1/g per lb of "ideal body weight" not you current weight.

It seems easier/best for people who are over the weight they want to cut fat then gain muscle, repeat til you're where you want to be in terms of muscle and bf%
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

A pound of chicken has about 130 grams of protein, most of which your body should be able to process efficiently. It isn't unrealistic to eat a pound of meat split between two lunches. If you have four large eggs for breakfast (32 grams of protein) with cottage cheese (13 grams), you're at about 180 grams for the day before dinner. Having a dinner with an additional 60 grams of protein is totally possible. If you really need more than 240 grams of protein a day then it definitely won't hurt to supplement.

The best part about eating whole food sources of protein is that you get all the other nutrients that comes with it. I've recently switched from protein shakes to whole food sources and I haven't noticed any muscle loss, plus it get to eat like five times a day!
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

the first question is what are your goals currently? lose weight? gain muscle? both? you can't do both at the same time (i mean a little but not significantly). that will help dictate your true protein intake. So if you're trying to lose weight you'd be closer to .8 to 1/g per lb of "ideal body weight" not you current weight.

It seems easier/best for people who are over the weight they want to cut fat then gain muscle, repeat til you're where you want to be in terms of muscle and bf%
My main goal is to gain mass and strength. I'd like to loose fat as well, but I feel like its not a correct thing to say over all weight. If I put on mass I can't loose what I put on. So I don't really care what order it's in, but id really only like to lose another 5-10lbs of fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy

A pound of chicken has about 130 grams of protein, most of which your body should be able to process efficiently. It isn't unrealistic to eat a pound of meat split between two lunches. If you have four large eggs for breakfast (32 grams of protein) with cottage cheese (13 grams), you're at about 180 grams for the day before dinner. Having a dinner with an additional 60 grams of protein is totally possible. If you really need more than 240 grams of protein a day then it definitely won't hurt to supplement.

The best part about eating whole food sources of protein is that you get all the other nutrients that comes with it. I've recently switched from protein shakes to whole food sources and I haven't noticed any muscle loss, plus it get to eat like five times a day!
When you break it down like that, it's easily possible. My bad man. However, what's the calorie difference between cutting out your 2-3 shakes and eating whole foods? It seems like eating all whole foods would increase it a lot. But then again I don't know how many cals a shake has anymore.

And I'd still need some shake. It'll be hard to eat a meal in the middle of a class full of 50 people while I'm in school.
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #25
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When you break it down like that, it's easily possible. My bad man. However, what's the calorie difference between cutting out your 2-3 shakes and eating whole foods? It seems like eating all whole foods would increase it a lot. But then again I don't know how many cals a shake has anymore.

And I'd still need some shake. It'll be hard to eat a meal in the middle of a class full of 50 people while I'm in school.
I don't really worry about calories since I need at least 3000 a day to maintain weight. I would aim for about 800 calories per meal.
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #26
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:

My main goal is to gain mass and strength. I'd like to loose fat as well, but I feel like its not a correct thing to say over all weight. If I put on mass I can't loose what I put on. So I don't really care what order it's in, but id really only like to lose another 5-10lbs of fat.

So don't forget, at different ages you're going to process proteins and amino acids differently. And no, you're body cannot process 32g of protein in one meal. The idea isn't mass amounts at once, its a constant stream of nutrients for your body to feed of off. If you want mass and strength, you need to evaluate where you're starting and go from there. Its a multi step process for workouts. For food, eat clean, eat 5 times or so a day (like what I emailed you) and it'll happen. The workout program (emailed) follows the correct pattern for how muscles need to grow and what patterns need to be established inside the muscles themselves. You're taking stabilization, endurance, hypertrophy and power.

Do it right, it'll last longer and results will be more satisfying.
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #27
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What do you guys think of MuscleTech Phase 8 or Elite brand? Bodybuilding has buy 2 get 1 right now FYI. No Gold standard though.
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #28
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
What do you guys think of MuscleTech Phase 8 or Elite brand? Bodybuilding has buy 2 get 1 right now FYI. No Gold standard though.
Good stuff, for me the Vanilla is better than the chocolate but the chocolate still isn't bad. Phase 8 is one of the few protein powders that taste better with water. Milk makes it almost to thick in my opinion. I enjoy phase8 flavors much more than musclepharms banana creme or cookies n cream. My favorite so far has been ON gold standard mocha cappuccino and cellucor peanut butter marshmallow. I'm gonna try Dymatize elite fusion 7 rich chocolate & creamy vanilla shake next.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #29
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr
I liked it. I still have two tubs I need to go through

Unread 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #30
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is that for Elite too?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.