What protein do you suggest? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > What protein do you suggest?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard Whey is fattening, soy has higher levels of estrogen and I'm not even sure egg white protein is actual protein clearly I don't know as much as I should about this.

I'm about to try a work out routine a member has sent me and I need the protein to supplement my eating for it. I'm cheap as hell so I'm going most bang for my buck as well.

I'm 5'10", an easy/moderate gainer and I'd say I'm about 15% bf, at about 210-215 right now, if that matters at all.

Unread 08-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For my money, the standard is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey. Their flavors are all pretty good, but chocolate is the standard IMO. As far as best prices, you can shop around online and in stores, I've had great results at my local Vitamin Shoppe. Their prices are on par with Bodybuilding.com, their membership is free, and you build "points" throughout the year and get a gift card once a year. They're great. Don't waste your time with GNC, Vitamin World, etc.

If you're really pinching pennies look into the Bodytech brand stuff at Vitamin Shoppe, it's their brand and from when I've used it I have no complaints.

Another can of worms - I am of the opinion that it is of value to have at least 2 types. Whey and Casein. Whey for postworkout, etc. Casein before bed or when hours between meals, etc.
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I want to do this right without wasting my time so if you can suggest a casein power that would be swell too.
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Idk about whey protein being fattening because protein isn't fat... There are, however, fattening shakes that USE whey protein but have many other ingredients as well.

The first thing I suggest is signing up for bodybuilding.com. They have great deals, promos, free gifts, bundles, etc. Plus they have "bodyspace" where you can track your progress, talk to others, and research. Kinda like JF.

I also recommend Gold Standard. It is the most for the money. I believe it's something like $0.74 per serving? Most are over $1. Mocha cappuccino is my favorite flavor so far. And if you drink it with water vs milk, there's hardly any fat at all.

Stay away from mass gainers. They are overpriced and NOT what YOU need.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Haha I know I don't need gainers. My stomach knows too.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Idk about whey protein being fattening because protein isn't fat... There are, however, fattening shakes that USE whey protein but have many other ingredients as well.

The first thing I suggest is signing up for bodybuilding.com. They have great deals, promos, free gifts, bundles, etc. Plus they have "bodyspace" where you can track your progress, talk to others, and research. Kinda like JF.

I also recommend Gold Standard. It is the most for the money. I believe it's something like $0.74 per serving? Most are over $1. Mocha cappuccino is my favorite flavor so far. And if you drink it with water vs milk, there's hardly any fat at all.

Stay away from mass gainers. They are overpriced and NOT what YOU need.
You are correct protein is not a lipid (fat) in starting form. However excess protein can be stored in your body as fat. So that is something to be careful of.

My advice Mike is become aware of good and bad fats, and how and where they come from. Also amino acids are an important role as far as proteins go.

For protein, first off make sure you're eating healthy then worry about protein shakes. For protein shakes I prefer Musclepharm combat or ON (Gold standard mentioned above). I like the combat because it is a mix of whey, hydro whey, egg and casein (IIRC). So it has the quick and slow digesting for after workout and to keep me going throughout the day.

Bodybuilding.com does have awesome deals, where I get all my stuff.

Depending on your goals and current physical level would depend on the amount of protein you should be intaking. I'm not a nutritionist but if you want to talk more in detail you can always PM m.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fair enough. I was going to follow the diet on the program I got. So I wasn't super super worried about eating right. I can make all my food at home and tote it with me and eat it cold if need be. I'm not picky.

I thought I'd get a jump on the protein info now because I literally have no clue on any of it but the info given has already been fantastic IMHO. I have at least a month and a half until ill start the program though because I realized I'll be stuck in an RV on a road trip for two weeks coming up shortly here.
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

no worries, i do my best to help with what little knowledge I have haha. Have fun on the RV trip
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can always PM me too. I don't have the certification tucson does, but I have done lots of research and am studying Exercise Science. Between us you should be all set

Unread 08-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
You can always PM me too. I don't have the certification tucson does, but I have done lots of research and am studying Exercise Science. Between us you should be all set
hell i might be pm ing you a lot soon haha.
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj

hell i might be pm ing you a lot soon haha.
I'm always happy to help

Unread 08-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've been using Optimum Nutrition whey double rich chocolate for years and it's still my favorite. More recently, I also use their Casein version for my p.m. shake. I add two scoops of Optifiber to every shake.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
93civic_Sedan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Optimum cookies and cream Casein is really good IMO.
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
rayden448
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Check out advantagesupplements.com real good prices and shipping is super fast. Dymatize Elite XT is on clearance right now. Cant beat the deal on the 4.4 lb tub. Just a basic rule to go by is everyone should get at least 1.0 grams of protien per lb of bodyweight daily. To build muscle you need at least 1.5 grams per pound. Protein and Carbs are 4 cals per gram as where fat is 9 cals per gram so make sure whatever protein you go with has the least amount of sugar and fat in it. If your serious about working out and changing your body try setting your daily macros at 40/40/20 and adjust from there.
rayden448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayden448 View Post
Check out advantagesupplements.com real good prices and shipping is super fast. Dymatize Elite XT is on clearance right now. Cant beat the deal on the 4.4 lb tub. Just a basic rule to go by is everyone should get at least 1.0 grams of protien per lb of bodyweight daily. To build muscle you need at least 1.5 grams per pound. Protein and Carbs are 4 cals per gram as where fat is 9 cals per gram so make sure whatever protein you go with has the least amount of sugar and fat in it. If your serious about working out and changing your body try setting your daily macros at 40/40/20 and adjust from there.
Incorrect on a few things according to current standards (I'm going off nasm standards)

1.2 to 1.7 grams of protein per lb of body weight (or ideal depending on conditions) is the range for a person to gain muscle. Some do better closer to the low, some closer to the higher. This is for an athletic person. Someone just starting out won't process or have the same demands. The whole concept of eating 2 or 3 grams of protein per lb to gain weight is out dated and research shows the extra protein doesn't provide any extra growth of muscle fibers.

Carbs are closer to 6-7 cals/gram

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.