What to eat - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 39 Old 05-02-2015, 09:04 AM
stl929
1980 CJ5 

I know this thread is about diet, but throw in the right cardio and weight lifting and the fat will melt off. Try empty stomach cardio first thing in the morning. Keep the intensity low in order to burn fat only. You should be able to carry on a conversation without being out of breath.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 Old 06-07-2015, 03:22 PM
04AZWJ
2004 WJ 

I'm doing a paleo diet, with a high intensity super slow workout routine that puts me in the gym all of 20 minutes a week, plus I do sprints once a week, and I've lost over 20 pounds the last 3 months with very little effort. I recommend 2 books Body by Science and The Primal Blueprint.
post #18 of 39 Old 06-08-2015, 07:49 AM
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl929 View Post
I know this thread is about diet, but throw in the right cardio and weight lifting and the fat will melt off. Try empty stomach cardio first thing in the morning. Keep the intensity low in order to burn fat only. You should be able to carry on a conversation without being out of breath.
just started this a couple weeks ago, AM Fasted cardio. I also accompany it with a 16/8 fast. I usually take in BCAAs from the time I wake up, till I break my fast at noon with a lunch heavy in protein. I think eat again 3 hrs later, and then a filling dinner once I home. I stop eating at 8 and start my 16hr fast all over. I like it, its convenient and Its finally kept the 10lbs I wanted off, and gotten me into the 330s... on a quest to be at 300 by fall.

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+

post #19 of 39 Old 06-13-2015, 09:58 AM
JeepJoe9715
2015 JK Wrangler 

I'll throw in my 2 cents because i just lost 50 pounds. I put on baby weight when the wife was pregnant. Took me about 4 months to lose 50. Started with 30 minutes of cardio a day, upped that to an hour after 2 weeks and then included heavy weight lifting 30 minutes every other day. If u can do an hour a day of cardio 7 days a week you'll lose weight. A lot of people will steer you away from 7 days of exercise but it works.

DIET: ZERO sugar and keep fat around 30g a day or so. I cant stress the no sugar thing enough. Watch excess carbs. Avoid fad diets because it has to be sustainable long term or you'll gain it all back once you've lost it. Pure protein bars are a great breakfast and an awesome snack. Eat what u like but healthier versions. Want a burger? Use 96% lean beef and 80 calorie buns. Want pizza? Use a low carb tortilla, make ur own sauce and use turkey pepperoni and fat free cheese. Following this I've dropped from 205 to 155 and feel better at 31 than I did at 21.
post #20 of 39 Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 AM
329892 - Deactivated
2005 TJ Wrangler 

regardless of what you eat you also should double your physical activity
post #21 of 39 Old 06-13-2015, 03:34 PM
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJoe9715
I'll throw in my 2 cents because i just lost 50 pounds. I put on baby weight when the wife was pregnant. Took me about 4 months to lose 50. Started with 30 minutes of cardio a day, upped that to an hour after 2 weeks and then included heavy weight lifting 30 minutes every other day. If u can do an hour a day of cardio 7 days a week you'll lose weight. A lot of people will steer you away from 7 days of exercise but it works. DIET: ZERO sugar and keep fat around 30g a day or so. I cant stress the no sugar thing enough. Watch excess carbs. Avoid fad diets because it has to be sustainable long term or you'll gain it all back once you've lost it. Pure protein bars are a great breakfast and an awesome snack. Eat what u like but healthier versions. Want a burger? Use 96% lean beef and 80 calorie buns. Want pizza? Use a low carb tortilla, make ur own sauce and use turkey pepperoni and fat free cheese. Following this I've dropped from 205 to 155 and feel better at 31 than I did at 21.
Glad to read this, pretty motivating. Just added a 6th gym day to my schedule, and cut sugar out this past week. I gained weight when my gf got prego too... So like you I'm in the "gotta lose it" mode. Love how it takes them maybe a month to get back to their pre-baby weight and its taken me almost a year to get motivated.

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
post #22 of 39 Old 06-13-2015, 03:42 PM
MuttJockey

Drink plenty of water. Concentrate on fruits, veggies & green salads with dressing on the side. Forget about breads & other grains. No dairy either if you can take it. Lean meats-if any. Concentrate on baked fowl and broiled or baked fish. ...and drink even more water. Good luck.

MuttJockey
post #23 of 39 Old 06-21-2015, 04:19 PM
jeepnoob2000
2000 WJ 

If you want to lose weight it's pretty simple: Eat less calories than you burn. Basic math.

Do more exercise and eat less. It's not about "being on a diet". Just eat right and exercise right and the rest will take care of itself.

Do cardio/weightlifting early in the day to boost one's metabolism. Spicy foods like chili/cayenne will also increase metabolism. Eat foods that are high in volume but low in calories, like mushrooms and vegetables. Avoid processed food, they are very calorie-dense, getting their delicious flavor from oil and sugar. Fat/oils are very calorie-dense so avoid those.

"The mountains are calling. I must go."
post #24 of 39 Old 08-13-2016, 02:28 PM
TheHoneyBadger
2001 WJ 

Garage
I'll throw my experience and 2€ in here too

6'4 the biggest I've been was 287 IIRC a few years back. Working in the oilfield 21on 7 off hard manual labor, no time for real meals only granola bars & turkey sandwiches between holes and to tired after work got me to about 230 6 months later. It worked alight but it was long and hard. I have a desk job now only walking no time for gym (95hr weeks are common) so I found a much easier way...

What worked fastest and easiest for me was a few key points.

Stay under 20g net carbs
Eat about 140g protein ( with fiber)
Eat about 160g fat
Don't over do working out
Get sleep

Recently I put on some pounds (about 40) from eating poorly, we also had a baby and I gained weight along with her. She would want to eat all kinds of bad food then after a few bites didn't want it, well it looked good to me and I didn't wanna just let it go to waste lol so I'd polish off her food after mine. Fast Fwd we recently had a vacation and she wanted her pre baby body back for bikinis on the beach so she let me do all the cooking and shopping (I frequently travel for work and usually drop 15-25lbs in 2-6 weeks) soooo about 3 weeks before our vacation I started our new meal plans. She went from 135 to 120 and I went from 248 to 228. Vacation hit we ate all kinda bad stuff and drank with the family and after about a week of bad behavior we were almost back at square one. She really liked the results and not needed to go to the gym made it an easer comment to stick with so again I cooked. However this time the weight dropped faster. About 10 days after the vacation we were both down a few more lbs than before we left.

I followed the 7 day meal plan from cavemanketo website (free, no signup or anything)
It made compliance easer I'd cook one day and it would last us for a few days. To have the meals already ready and waiting really makes it a no brainier about what's for supper Ect.

Our vacation was less than a month ago so we're both still on the road to pre baby but I have no doubts we will be back before Halloween. I have been @ work for the past 2-3 weeks so I haven't weighed myself but in boots and work uniform I was 235 just before I walked out to catch my flight. My goal is 200-215 hers is 110ish
post #25 of 39 Old 08-15-2016, 11:46 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Stuff I learned at CIA wellness classes.
If you aren't trying to gain muscle mass you don't need to push protein. Right now the avg US male takes in twice the recommended daily for protein..without using added shakes and crap.

3 to 4 ounces of meat per day, the leaner the better. Pork and chicken are good, wild caught fish is best.
Go light on the processed grains and potatoes but whole grains like teff, amaranth and quinoa are a great choice for a meal side.
Bulk up on veggies, dark and leafy are best.
You need to snack during the day at least once between meals. If your body senses calories coming in it will keep you metabolism up, if it senses fasting it tries to hoard energy and store fat. Snack on nuts, carrots, celery and if you need a little salt to make the world a good place I like Triscuits. They are mostly fiber with just enough fat and salt to satisfy.
ABOLUTELY stay away from "diet" items fake sugars just confuse your system.
Drink cool water, then more water and after that have another glass of water. It will make you feel full, help transport the nutrients around your body while removing the waste, and cool water will make your body boost the heat to keep your core at the right temp so it burns more calories. Black coffee and teas are OK but go light on the 1/2 & 1/2 it's about 100 calories per normal coffee serving, try the 1% milk if you want a lightener.
To sweeten foods use monosaccharides like maple sugar (real) honey, or fruit juices. The simple sugars convert to energy faster and aren't as prone to be converted into glycogen then fat.

Lastly go easy on alcohol. Alcohol and fat are 9 calories per gram while carbs and protein are 4.
You should be eating about 14 calories per pound of body weight to maintain for average activity levels. Aim for 10 cal / lb to lose, If you go to low your body will fight you to preserve energy stores thinking that you are starving. Fad diets and crash fasts will lose weight but you will gain it back and more, your body is very good at self preservation and will bank energy(fat) as a bank against future starving times.
Take the stairs and park in the back of the parking lots when you go out, the little extra walking goes a long way.
And the last thing that even surprised me, Eat a good breakfast, even make it the largest meal of your day. The calorie rush after a fast (sleeping) will jump start your metabolism and start burning calories. Skipping breakfast fools your body into thinking it's hasn't started a day and will use the short term energy sugar stores in your liver for energy and not start breaking down the long term stores (fat).
post #26 of 39 Old 11-17-2016, 09:20 AM
Al9

Eat less packaged foods is what I recommend. They are full or artificial ingredients and chemicals.
post #27 of 39 Old 12-20-2016, 02:01 PM
XJ99

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
I ate what ever wanted and lost 35 pounds.
Still maintaining! www.myfitnesspal.com

I don't believe in diets, especially ones
that allow you to eat a stick of butter,
and not a slice of bread! Anything
in moderation, if you go over work
it off....

I just polished off a sausage Mcmuffin
with egg and cheese, plus two breakfast
burritos! Granted the rest of the day/night
I'll be extra good to make up for it. Plus
I don't eat this crack everyday!

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
post #28 of 39 Old 12-23-2016, 08:59 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Water in quantity wears out your kidneys.

Only Americans who are the most obese, diet and food plan in any great numbers. See the connection? One might say that we diet because we are obese. Or, we are obese because we diet. Which is it?

Whichever it is, it is not working.

And, the populations who live the longest are hardly fit at all. Mostly no exercise or dieting.

Hmmmm. sounds like genetics to me.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #29 of 39 Old 12-24-2016, 12:06 PM
XJ99

2006 XK Commander 

Garage
I only drink water. As much as I want as long as I'm
thirsty. I don't drink water to "fill up!"

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
post #30 of 39 Old 01-16-2017, 01:39 AM
Geletivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
I only drink water.
I also do so. I realized that this was the best option.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.