Thoughts on Bench Shirts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Thoughts on Bench Shirts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
nwiTJdave

Thoughts on Bench Shirts

What is everyone's thoughts on bench press shirts? Think weight benched with them should be counted?

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Sorry for my ignorance but what the heck does that mean?
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would say the weight counts if its during a contest that allows them to be worn.

IMO I don't really count it if its just joe shmo at the bro gym randomly wearing it just so he can hit a little bit more weight.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
stivy10
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002
I would say the weight counts if its during a contest that allows them to be worn.

IMO I don't really count it if its just joe shmo at the bro gym randomly wearing it just so he can hit a little bit more weight.
I totally agree with you, but for someone who just wants to use one to overload the muscle to gain strength, IF used correctly would work, I don't see a problem using as a tool. A better or cheaper option would be reverse bands or sling shot. But if used just to say I benched xxx amount of weight, he'd be a shmo
stivy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Seems pointless, I don't see how it will overload muscles. I'm sure someone could invent a spring loaded prosthetic that could boost your bench even more.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
stivy10
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It enables you to train with 100%+ of your max which in turn will yield strength gains. Pointless, maybe but adding it in for a 6 week cycle may get someone thru a plateau
stivy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I want to try it purely to see if it actually does increase my bench.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think there's ant doubt they "work"... They are tight and elastic and will store some energy in the down position, thus subtracting from the effective weight.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #9
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine at the gym has competed and placed well or won at powerlifting world championships for years. He wears bench press shirts to stay competitive. He hates them. I think they are cheating plain and simple, but if the competition is wearing one, you kind of have to in order to be competitive.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think they're completely pointless. To me, it's like a NASCAR race, but you have 300 more HP. Sure you won, but it wasn't exactly YOU that won now is it? I'd be impressed if someone could max with a bench shirt, then match it next week without it, but that won't happen.

Could be a self confidence booster though.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.