Prot loses weight or dies trying - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Prot loses weight or dies trying

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #31
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you tried doing some posture exercises? It my help.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #32
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie
Have you tried doing some posture exercises? It my help.
This isn't posture related like burning back muscles were.

In 1995 I was in a motorcycle accident where I was rear ended and thrown over the handlebars and flew fifteen feet or more. I landed right on my chest. What I mean to say is all of my weight came down with my chest hitting the asphalt first while my butt and legs were much higher than my chest and my arms were behind me by my sides because of the impact being so hard.

This sort of feels like that but worse because the bone is hurting more but the muscles are not. Tonight is pretty bad where it is almost the only thing I can think about.

I am getting plenty of calcium drinkling the shakes twice per day and I am eating very healthy meals for my once per day regular meal. I am varying my daily meal so that I can get different nutrients from different foods. I am also taking good multivitamins and drinking strictly plain bottled water, usually Dasani.

I have noticed the weather is bad, and that normally affects me, but not this severely. Oddly enough the arthritis in my hands is not hurting at all.

I just need to tough it out until Monday morning which is when my doctor appointment is.

Prior to the diet I never ever drank milk but would eat cheese.
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #33
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh wow. Yeah I see what you're talking about now. Sorry to hear about that, but much respect and power to you for overcoming it.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #34
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Ate ibuprofen like candy at work today. Monday can't get here fast enough. This is the worst pain I have been in a long time. I am still sticking to the diet and I struggled all day to keep my pants on despite my belt being in the tightest notch. I need to pick up some new pants for work along with a smaller belt.
Unread 07-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #35
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Ate ibuprofen like candy at work today. Monday can't get here fast enough. This is the worst pain I have been in a long time. I am still sticking to the diet and I struggled all day to keep my pants on despite my belt being in the tightest notch. I need to pick up some new pants for work along with a smaller belt.
That's great to hear about the pants. I wish my friend had your motivation. He weighs 300lbs and really needs to lose some weight.

Sorry about the pain. Are you building a tolerance toward over the counter pain pills? Of all them, I think Advil works the best. I've never had good luck with ibuprofen or tylenol. The next best thing would be the lowest dose percocet available, but opoids are a dangerous game and I would only take them as a last ditch effort.

edit: I highly recommend other alternatives to pain pills, it was just a suggestion if the pain is almost untolerable.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #36
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21

That's great to hear about the pants. I wish my friend had your motivation. He weighs 300lbs and really needs to lose some weight.

Sorry about the pain. Are you building a tolerance toward over the counter pain pills? Of all them, I think Advil works the best. I've never had good luck with ibuprofen or tylenol. The next best thing would be the lowest dose percocet available, but opoids are a dangerous game and I would only take them as a last ditch effort.

edit: I highly recommend other alternatives to pain pills, it was just a suggestion if the pain is almost untolerable.
On Monday I am going to the doctor for my health care screening to satisfy insurance requirements. When I made the appointment I also told them about this pain in my sternum so they will check that out too.

This morning I woke up and it was pretty bad. I am determined to not let this slow me down or rob me from enjoyment. I could not find my bottle of ibuprofen so I just put on my boots, helmet and goggles and grit my teeth as I fired up my old Harley. I went to the Masonic lodge I belong to and enjoyed the fellowship as we had a practice session. My dad was there and he went on his bike too. When it was over we rode together for a little while.

Everyone commented on how good I look and how much younger I look as well.

It was good day despite the pain.
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sternum hurts? Any chance it is reflux? Does it get better when you are upright?
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #38
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Sternum hurts? Any chance it is reflux? Does it get better when you are upright?
Doubtful. I had decently bad reflux and it's just a searing pain in your esophogaus. Not really anywhere else so it's pretty easy to pinpoint the pain.

-Jack
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #39
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Doubtful. I had decently bad reflux and it's just a searing pain in your esophogaus. Not really anywhere else so it's pretty easy to pinpoint the pain.
When I have it the pain is right behind the sternum, that's why I brought it up. Might be an individual thing.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #40
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
When I have it the pain is right behind the sternum, that's why I brought it up. Might be an individual thing.
Yea mine is too. But it also can go all the way up my throat. I've had it for 4 years now, so I guess I'm just use to what the pain feels like and that makes it hard for me to explain.

-Jack
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:43 AM   #41
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It's not reflux. I think it may be related to the motorcycle accident in 1995. Hopefully the doctor will check it out. I would like some X-rays. We'll see how it goes. I found my ibuprofen and took some to be able to sleep last night.

When I had the accident, I didn't get xrayed. I was a poor college student at the time.
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #42
gloksrule
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck with the dr visit Monday , I'm at a similar age and weight(44 and 238),, my doc wants me at 200 and gives me hell if I'm not losing any,, I'm getting my hernia fixed so I can get back into yoga which greatly helped me lose weight before, you seem like u have an achievable goal and I hope u stick with it
gloksrule is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #43
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have not posted here because it's been an adventure.

First of all, I went to the doctor for my health care screening to prevent my insurance from going up 20%. Blood work was good. I forgot what the numbers were but the good and bad cholesterol were both fine. Triglycerides were slightly elevated but not really too high. Blood sugar was 110. Doctor wants it lower but whatever. That is not bad number in my opinion. Blood pressure was 124/78.

While I was there I had him check out my chest. The diagnosis is Costochondritis which is inflamed cartilage where the ribs meet the sternum. It was probably the result of the motorcycle accident in 1995. Doc recommended taking ibuprofen or aleve and using a heating pad. He also said to take it easy until it subsides.

I also noticed that sometimes I get a bulge the size of a big marble poking out of my belly and when I press on it, it goes back in and makes a gurgling noise. Obviously it is a piece of intestine poking through. He checked it out and said of course it is a hernia. He said it could be a time bomb because if the blood supply gets choked off then that's it. He also said it may be fine. Because of the severity of the trauma and scars on my abdomen, he referred me to a surgeon that deals with this sort of thing. His nurse scheduled me an appointment on. Monday afternoon.

I went to work in the morning that way I would only use half of a sick day for the afternoon appointment. I went to lunch with my coworkers and when I went to leave the restaurant to go to my appointment, my Jeep would not start. I had to call the office to get someone to pick me up and take me back to the office. I then grabbed a a company vehicle(Yukon), and drove to the doctor. I got there a little early but the doctor was running late.

He checked me out thoroughly and after discussing options, such as what type of procedure to perform, scheduled me for surgery at 7 the next morning which was Tuesday.

I then left his office to go home and grab some tools. I pulled the battery off the Jeep, had it tested, prorated, then went back to the Jeep to put it in. Then I drove the Yukon back to the office and got someone to give me a ride back to my Jeep. The Jeep started just fine. Batteries last only 24 months on my JK and this was no exception. I then drove to my parents' house to tell them about my surgery and that I would need them to give me a ride back from the hospital in the morning.

I drove back to my house and finally got to bed at midnight. I woke up early in the morning to get a very good long shower before the surgery. I went to my parents house and arrived at 6 am as scheduled. My dad was not even dressed and insisted on drinking coffee and bs before getting dressed. As a result, we did not leave their house until 635 even though my appointment was at 7 in the next town over. I was pissed. I arrived at the hospital barely on time.

The surgery went well and I was discharged after only a few hours. I was in severe pain but got a prescription for lortabs which I have been on ever since. I wait as long as I can to take them but this has been horribly painful.

I spent the next couple of days at my parents' house sleeping on their sofa. Yesterday afternoon I decided to get in the Jeep and drive home. Today I went to work since I am in management and sit behind a desk with no physical labor involved. I was in severe pain and regretted my decision to go to work. The lortabs kicked in at 1000 and after that it was tolerable.

Through all of this, I have stuck to the diet and have not cheated.
Unread 07-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #44
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's good that the pain in the sternum isn't that severe. With his method of treatment that might mean there's some hope for my back, since it's in a similar state.

Bummer about the surgery though. Thankfully you did get it checked out before it became a more serious injury. Major props to sticking with the diet. That takes some serious determination and willpower.

-Jack
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #45
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21
That's good that the pain in the sternum isn't that severe. With his method of treatment that might mean there's some hope for my back, since it's in a similar state.

Bummer about the surgery though. Thankfully you did get it checked out before it became a more serious injury. Major props to sticking with the diet. That takes some serious determination and willpower.
Here is some information about Costochondritis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costochondritis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.