JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Fitness and Nutrition (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/)
-   -   Prot loses weight or dies trying (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/prot-loses-weight-dies-trying-1527440/)

Prot 05-23-2013 05:53 PM

Inspired by Cassafrass, I decided to give it a go. I am extremely busy and work more than anyone I know. I live alone and there is nobody else to take care of the day to day stuff around the house. As a result, I just don't have time to cook and end up eating out for virtually every meal due to convenience and time. That being said, whatever plan I was going to end up on had to be the same or more convenient than my current lifestyle. It is for this very reason why I have failed at previous diets.

After a lot of reading and debate I found something that can work for me.

Today is my third day on the Slimfast 1,2,3 Plan.

I know everyone is going to flame me and say too much sugar, not enough protein, yada yada yada. Whatever. Consider this. Virtually anything is better than what I am doing now. Slimfast has been reformulated with less sugar and more protein than previous.

I went to Walmart and loaded up the shopping cart with various flavored shakes(premade so I don't have to mix myself or wash dishes), various Slimfast snacks, and various slim fast meal bars. While I was there, I also stocked up on bottled water.

On my way to work I drink one delicious slim fast shake and take my blood pressure medicine with it. At 0930 or 1000 I eat a slim fast snack. At lunch, I have a reasonably healthy meal.(every day I have a business lunch). At around 1500 I eat a slim fast snack. When I get home I eat a slim fast meal bar. In the early evening I eat a slim fast snack. Throughout the day and into the night I drink water. As a matter fact water is the only thing I drink. I even eliminated my morning coffee.

In summary, one meal, two shakes or meal bars, and three snacks. It is not only more convenient than what I was doing before, it is also a lot cheaper.

The first two days I was farting like crazy and so loud I was probably waking the neighbors.

I am 42 years old and have high blood pressure due to being overweight and being very sensitive to salt. I am 5' 9" tall and just hit 255 pounds, most of it belly. In my early 20's I was 155 pounds with a 29" waist. That is my goal.

My plan is to lose weight on the diet and after I have lost enough, slowly add exercise. I have arthritis and suffer many ailments which all fit into the result of the line we drew in the sand in the early 90's. There are times I have bad flare ups with that as well as time periods of apparent remission. Right now I am in remission so I want to use this time to get healthy. Eight years ago I had a physical in which the doctor told me I needed to replace my left knee. I didn't do it although it hurts to varying degrees. That is why it is best for me to lose weight with the diet first then slowly add low impact exercise.

I know slim fast seems unmanly. With an epic beard as thick as mine, nothing I do is unmanly.

Thank You Cassie for the inspiration.

Cassafrass 05-23-2013 06:26 PM

Hahaha perks of the beard. Everything you do is manly. Seriously though good luck. Its not impossible. Billy started doing the same thing as far as starting to eat a little better. Its funny because my diet was so strict. He stopped eating fast food and started making himself turkey sandwiches (wheat bread, little mayo, cucumbers, cheese, lean turkey) and I got on his case "the sodium in that turkey...", "too many carbs...", "do you know whats in mayo?" Then I realized that turkey sandwich is leaps and bounds better than any fast food. So hey, do what you can. Start slow. Start simple. If you experiment with different foods, quick things like sandwiches, wraps, omelets, etc I think you will find that it is faster and easier than you thought (or will get faster and easier lol)

But anyway, good luck and stick to it. It'll be worth it.

Prot 05-27-2013 09:25 PM

I thought I would post an update. So far it's going good. The farting is not as bad but still is a lot when I first wake up and just before I go to sleep. I have a strange stiffness in my legs and my calves are often rock hard, with mild cramping. I think the cause of that could be low potassium levels. I am going to add a good multivitamin to see if it helps.

On the plus side, I feel like I have deflated. I am no longer bloated and my sodium levels are good which means my hands are not swollen anymore. I stepped on the scale out if curiosity this evening and found I lost 6 pounds.

The almost daily migraines have stopped, the sinus problems have subsided substantially and I am able to get a good night's sleep for the first time in a long time. I also wake up feeling refreshed and not dragging *** for the first few hours I am awake.

All of the slim fast 3, 2, 1 products I have tried have been good but there are a couple of standouts I really enjoy. The first is Royale Dutch Chocolate shake. It's better than the other chocolate. The second is a mint chocolate snack bar.

This diet has freed up a lot of time for me plus it is cheaper and more convenient than how I was eating. Both of those things are good motivating factors, especially having more free time.

tyvanwie 05-28-2013 11:10 AM

Whenever you go back to the grocery store, get Clif bars. Some have up to 20g of protein, good carbs, fiber, little fat, and taste amazing. Slimfast is NOT what I would go with. But if it works for you, it works.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

Cassafrass 05-28-2013 12:51 PM

Clif bars are basically a candy bar. Loaded with sugar and refined carbs. I prefer Pure Protein bars. Low in sugar and high in protein. Just my two cents on a protein bar.

tyvanwie 05-28-2013 12:56 PM

Clif bars aren't meant to be "protein bars" though.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

Cassafrass 05-28-2013 01:26 PM

Okay. Semantics. You suggested he get Clif bars. Clif Bars are generally used for snacks for athletes. They are considered a snack for energy, big boost of carbs that you'll burn off during intense activity. If he was working out, going on long hikes or bike rides I'd say go for it. But I'm a sugar nazi. They taste awesome for a reason. Sugar and simple carbs. Those carbs will make you gain weight before any fat does. Not to mention the insulin spike you'll get. The lack of protein compared to carbs makes it worse, especially if you're trying to lose weight. I was just suggesting there might be better options to look into.

Prot 05-28-2013 03:21 PM

The thing is, there are two categories of slim fast bars. One category is a snack to be eaten three times per day. The other category is a meal bar which is to be eaten twice per day. The meal bar and the shake are interchangeable on the skim fast plan.

The snack bar is 100 calories. The meal bar is 200 calories. The shake is 190 calories.

By eating little amounts several times per day, it keeps hunger at bay to prevent binge eating.

It's working for me and since it is convenient, is sustainable.

I am not exercising yet. I need to lose more weight first. On the other hand, since I am feeling better I am out and about moving around, compared to previously I was sleeping 18 hours per day on my days off.

I spent most of the day outside today staying busy. I put together my new gas grill. I pulled a steel post that was cemented in the ground out with the winch on my Jeep. I struggled with repeated attempts to push my nearly 800 pound motorcycle into my enclosed trailer to take it to the dealer for some repairs. I must have tried pushing it up the trailer's ramp two dozen times before I finally got it in there. I live quietly alone, so sometimes simple tasks can be challenging. I think I burned up some calories with all that activity. I sweated like crazy. It's 93 degrees down here.

One other thing. Before the diet, I was getting chest pains regularly. I haven't had a single one since starting the diet.

Black Hills TJ 05-28-2013 09:19 PM

Awesome! This is great. Do what works for you and adjust it as you go!

If you don't mind me asking, what would you say you spend weekly on your snacks and meals now?

wolfcreek 05-28-2013 09:26 PM

Potassium supplements are legally limited to a very low dose... a multivitamin is unlikely to contain much if any. You can buy just potassium citrate, but you have to take a bunch to get the equivalent that is in, say, a banana. I've taken to eating a lot of spinach salads with chicken and it seems to have helped with cramping.

Prot 05-29-2013 11:13 AM

Today I tried out my new grill that I assembled yesterday. Everything went well, but I have something astonishing to report to this thread.

I literally could not eat it all. I did not cook an enormous amount of food. I cooked my usual amount which is about 1 1/2 servings. I did not even come close to eating it all when I found myself full.

So this is all I ate for lunch today.

2 20 ounce bottles of water
1beef vegetable kabob
2 1/4" thick slices of sweet potatoes
2 small biscuits
1 chicken wing

Yes, every single item was cooked on my gas grill, even the biscuits. After all, I am a Grill Sergeant.

I know I went a little heavy on carbs for lunch today, but I was feeling kind of light headed, so that was part of my decision process.

Now I know most people brush stuff they put on the grill with oil to prevent sticking, get a good glaze etc. There are also many folks that soak everything in Italian dressing. Neither of those are healthy options. Instead, I sprayed each item lightly with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and achieved excellent results. No sticking, nice even browning, and the added bonus of improved taste all while adding zero calories and zero fat.

I have lots of leftovers, so I know what I will be eating for lunch for the next few days.

Needless to say I am very pleased with not having to eat huge amounts of food to barely feel full.

Prot 06-02-2013 02:17 PM

I looked around and finally found vitamins I like. I picked up big jar of One a Day Gummies for Men. They are like gummy bears and are not sugar coated like some Gummies. In addition to having a lot different vitamins at recommended levels, they have 250% of the recommended levels of B complex vitamins, which will help with metabolism.

I had half of my colon removed in 1998 due to complications from a ruptured appendix. As a result, I have malabsorption of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. This is partly why I have the numerous health problems I have. By not absorbing enough B12, my metabolism slowed down, hence the massive weight gain.

Since I have started taking the vitamins, I get really hungry, but have resisted any urges and continue with the diet. Even though I get really hungry, it is taking less and less to fill me up. As a result of all this, I feel like my weight loss is accelerating but have not gotten back on the scale. Clothes fits different and there is a noticeable difference when I look in the mirror.

I found cappuccino flavored slim fast shakes, so I am having that in the morning for breakfast and is helping make up for no longer drinking coffee.

The more results I see in the mirror, the more motivated I get.

TheBoss 06-02-2013 06:30 PM

Hey, same vitamins I take as well. They make it easier than trying to choke down the nasty tasting type. I also use VitaMelts B12 with 1500mcg per tab for an energy boost mid day at work for working out later at the gym.

Nice thread you have going , comiting to a healthier lifestyle is no easy task. Staying on track with all of lifes distractions and work schedules is tough. Good work so far.

Prot 06-02-2013 09:19 PM

Late night update. I couldn't help myself and stepped on the scale tonight. So far I have lost 10 pounds. Needless to say I am thrilled.

wolfcreek 06-02-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prot (Post 15512121)
Late night update. I couldn't help myself and stepped on the scale tonight. So far I have lost 10 pounds. Needless to say I am thrilled.

Congrats! :cheers2: (low calorie beers pictured)

The time now is 10:04 AM.