Prepping for Triathlons - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Prepping for Triathlons

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Finished our triathlon. Mixed results IMO.

I was 16th in my division, but a lot of my division was sponsored racers from the local area. Sucks to be me there! LOL

I had a 1:06:22 for a final time.
400M swim in the pool with staggered start, which really clogged things up.
7 mile bike ride, where I averaged 18 mph being conservative on my legs for the run. (questionable decision)
5K run, which kicked my butt. My calves and knees were super tight for some reason, probably from a lack of running this month (it got ignored due to Bike MS 75 mile ride prep).

Breaks down like this:
Swim: 9:41 (I'm normally about 9:15)
T1: 1:37 (slower than I'd like, but I needed to catch my breath and the distance to run was a bit further than in practice)
Bike: 23:17 (18 mph pace okay, but others in my age group were over 19 mph pace - I can fix that easily enough).
T2: :57 (Happy with this one!)
Run: 30:54 (WAY off my 8:00 pace - this was at 10:18 and I felt even slower than that).

For my first tri, I can't really complain, as I have a baseline to work with (at least for pacing for the run and bike). Already signed up for an open water tri on 7/20 and another open water tri in early September, which is the 'graduating' tri for our Tri 102 class, which I also signed up for. That class focuses on the open water portion and more bike, so I really need to push myself to work on the run. My neighborhood is 3.5-4 miles if I run on the sidewalk all the way through, so that will be where I start to get my endurance back.

The guy who finished 15th in my age group was one of our coaches. He only beat me by 4m19s (I beat him on the swim and bike easily, he smoked me on the run).

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice!

Were the time expectations you had for the swim based on group swims or individual?

I mean, if you were finishing only slightly behind your coach, that's definitely something to be period of!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I honestly think he slowed down on the bike for his son, who was also competing.

My time expectations for the swim were based on my practice swims where I'd do it at the pool and had timed myself doing it. Losing only 30 seconds or so due to traffic at the end of the lanes isn't too bad. I'd like to be faster, so I'm continuing to do work on that as well, but my priority will be on the run portion and leg strengthening.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #19
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll brag on the wife for a minute-

I used to do tri's back in the day but have transitioned over to body building, however my wife has been bitten by the bug and has done around 15 races over the last 2 1/2 years, completing and kicking *** in the Beach to Battleship Half Ironman triathlon. She usually finishes around 20th to 25th place out of 180 to 200 women and her run times are in the low 8's per mile and a 19 to 19.5 mph bike.

I'm working with her to get her run down to 7:59/mile run and 20+mph bike. That should have her at podium times in a very competitive age group. She has been motivated by training schedules posted online, so I would google up Olympic Tri training schedules and find one that works for you. Also, NEVER save yourself for he next event. Blow out the swim, crush the bike, then let adrenaline and motivation carry you the last 20 to 25 minutes finishing the run.

Also, look into a tri specific bike, they are better at saving your legs for he run.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it was my buddies doing Iron Mans (plural?) that convinced me to start.

I've got another one the second weekend in July that's a *little* bit longer than the first, but I haven't been training half as hard, so we'll see how it goes.

I'm on vacation all next week, but luckily at a Lakehouse, so I can still run and swim, but I don't have any weekend time for biking/bricking before then, and that's one of my weaker areas, so I'm going to have to spend some time on the spin machines at work during lunch to at least try and make up a *little* bit.

Unread 07-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Completed my second tri yesterday.

Definitely not as good as my first attempt. I was definitely NOT prepared for the open water swim aspect of it.

Couldn't see, couldn't breath, and had to switch to breaststroke halfway through. Wasn't last, though. Breaststroke was my only competitive stroke in high school, so my breaststroke was still faster than a third of the competitor's front crawl. Still, 11:30 for 500m is not something I'm proud of, and I was *wiped * by the end of the first leg. Not good.

Transitions also sucked. Didn't care. Needed to breathe, ha ha.

16 mile bike was a time improvement, averaging 18.something, so that was good, but again, totally wiped.

By the time I got to the run it was 90-something degrees and I had nothing left. Managed to finish the 3.5 miles without stopping or walking, but at a 9:11 pace, compared to my usual low 7s. I was *hurting * when I crossed that finish line.

Still...finished and with no injuries. Happy about that.

What's next on your list?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.