Personal trainers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > Fitness and Nutrition > Personal trainers

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As some of you may know, I'm going to school to be a personal trainer. So I was wondering if there were some of y'all out there that I could ask some questions to.

1. Did you go to school for it? The more I research, the more I'm wanting to just drop.
2. Do you work at a commercial gym or private? Do you like it?
3. What kind of certification did you need at said gym?
4. How easy was it to get a job?
5. And finally, how long have you been doing it and what's your income? (If you feel comfortable sharing)

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

1. Yes I'm almost done my 4 yr BS in Exercise Science (a level above just being a PT)

2. Yes I work at a commercial gym but I've worked in a private setting before.

3. I've been training for about 10 years now and absolutely love it!

4. As far as certs, each gym is different but the four main certs are ACSM, NSCA, NASM and ACE. Each one of these are probably 99% accepted at any gym.

5. My salary varies because I work entirely off of commission but I've come close to $100k-$115k in a year over the past 10 years. But I usually stay close to $80k most of the time because I'm trying to finish my bachelors

Any other questions? And I say don't give up or drop out! You know that saying: "Find something you love to do and you'll never work another day in your life"? Well I haven't worked in 10 yrs haha
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

get your cert and head back to college.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
RMCIII
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybcpt View Post
1. Yes I'm almost done my 4 yr BS in Exercise Science (a level above just being a PT)

2. Yes I work at a commercial gym but I've worked in a private setting before.

3. I've been training for about 10 years now and absolutely love it!

4. As far as certs, each gym is different but the four main certs are ACSM, NSCA, NASM and ACE. Each one of these are probably 99% accepted at any gym.

5. My salary varies because I work entirely off of commission but I've come close to $100k-$115k in a year over the past 10 years. But I usually stay close to $80k most of the time because I'm trying to finish my bachelors

Any other questions? And I say don't give up or drop out! You know that saying: "Find something you love to do and you'll never work another day in your life"? Well I haven't worked in 10 yrs haha
Remember, you have been at it for 10yrs. A more realistic annual income, when just starting out, is down around $25-$30k... < Unless you get involved in a gym that has 1,000 plus members. Then you are up against other trainers that have probably been there a while. Regardless, you are going to have a rough few years, once you become certified. Don't kid yourself. Once you develop a name for yourself, and you can prove your worth, then the $$$ starts to come in. You will have referrals upon referrals.
RMCIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Billybcpt
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCIII
Remember, you have been at it for 10yrs. A more realistic annual income, when just starting out, is down around $25-$30k... < Unless you get involved in a gym that has 1,000 plus members. Then you are up against other trainers that have probably been there a while. Regardless, you are going to have a rough few years, once you become certified. Don't kid yourself. Once you develop a name for yourself, and you can prove your worth, then the $$$ starts to come in. You will have referrals upon referrals.
Hahahaha I never said I made that in my first year lol. My gym location has over 5,500 members. And you obviously have to build rapport and a client base to reach my income level but I put the work in and was making $65,000/yr by the 2nd year. But again my gym has a lot of members so the client potential is huge and keeps on growing!
Billybcpt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
RMCIII
1998 ZJ 

You see... Just my point... It is not easy starting out. But it can be extremely rewarding if you put your heart into it.... Course that goes without saying..
RMCIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
As some of you may know, I'm going to school to be a personal trainer. So I was wondering if there were some of y'all out there that I could ask some questions to.

1. Did you go to school for it? The more I research, the more I'm wanting to just drop.
2. Do you work at a commercial gym or private? Do you like it?
3. What kind of certification did you need at said gym?
4. How easy was it to get a job?
5. And finally, how long have you been doing it and what's your income? (If you feel comfortable sharing)
way old but i'll throw in my 2 cents for you

1. Did you go to school for it? The more I research, the more I'm wanting to just drop. I did not, I went to school for psychology and now fire science, became certified on my own. Know those who have done it both ways, depends on you. Not saying that school isn't great, it's a whole different world then being certified outside of it and gives you a lot of knowledge in that field (exercise science/physiology etc).
2. Do you work at a commercial gym or private? Do you like it?Commercial? haha not sure exactly how to phrase it, we have 4 locations in the Boston area and that's it. I have worked here and at a private facility that was athlete specific training (will be doing extra work there again soon)
3. What kind of certification did you need at said gym? My current employer requires experience and at least 1 national certification (NASM, ACE, NSCA, ISSA or other major certifications).
4. How easy was it to get a job? I had experience in gyms before I became a trainer so that helped, expect to start somewhere "not so great" such as la fitness or something like that, unless you find a local place. The experience will pay off.
5. And finally, how long have you been doing it and what's your income? About a year "officially", like I said i worked for gyms before and have been training under instruction of trainers as an assistant for about 2 years before that. Since most jobs are commission, it depends on your gym in particular. I'm expected to pull in between 30k and 50k this year depending on how business goes.
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that. This summer I'm going to go to the local, privately owned, gym by me to see if I can just get some sort of gym experience. I'd like to get my certification this summer as well, but idk how that's going to work.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #9
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Thanks for that. This summer I'm going to go to the local, privately owned, gym by me to see if I can just get some sort of gym experience. I'd like to get my certification this summer as well, but idk how that's going to work.
If you ever have questions about getting certified I'd be happy to answer what I can. Front desk experience is better then nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.