Paleo - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 PM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh View Post
Actually you need at least 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight. If training really heavy/hard some people stick to 2oz per 1lb. Either way, his protein intake shouldn't be a problem IMO. This is why people sometimes complain about getting enough protein, it isn't always easy.
jet, i think those numbers are a bit inflated. i tried the 1.5 grams per body weight and because i work in a hospital, i found i was putting protein out in my urine. i cut my protein intake to under a hundred grams and all was good again. i think supplement companies would like us to believe we need more protein than we actually do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 PM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I'd have to fast too in order to consume 1lb of chicken and 2 cups of vegetables :P
the main course follows that, right?
post #48 of 58 Old 09-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentastarguy View Post

jet, i think those numbers are a bit inflated. i tried the 1.5 grams per body weight and because i work in a hospital, i found i was putting protein out in my urine. i cut my protein intake to under a hundred grams and all was good again. i think supplement companies would like us to believe we need more protein than we actually do.
When we're you eating the protein? Pre or post workout? Or both. What kind of protein? What kind of workout? I do think that hard training in the body building or power lifting world does in fact require a good bit.

post #49 of 58 Old 09-26-2014, 09:57 PM
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
Actually you need at least 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight. If training really heavy/hard some people stick to 2oz per 1lb. Either way, his protein intake shouldn't be a problem IMO. This is why people sometimes complain about getting enough protein, it isn't always easy.
Don't you mean: "1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass."

If a guy weighs 330 lbs (at 50% body fat percentage) and is eating 330g of protein per day, he is over eating and that is making him more obese.

The correct way would be to eat 165g of protein per day. Which would equal out to 1g of protein per 1 pound of lean body mass.

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I have to return some video tapes.
post #50 of 58 Old 09-27-2014, 06:46 AM
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post

Don't you mean: "1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass."

If a guy weighs 330 lbs (at 50% body fat percentage) and is eating 330g of protein per day, he is over eating and that is making him more obese.

The correct way would be to eat 165g of protein per day. Which would equal out to 1g of protein per 1 pound of lean body mass.

:-)
Sure.

But really, I meant per 1 lb of bodyweight. I should clarify, though.

Someone with 50 percent body fat is a bit of an extreme example. So, yeah, I wouldn't see it as outlandish if they consumed less than 1g/1 lb of protein per day. They're highly focused on loss, probably. Some do need more protein to support muscle growth and repair if on a hard training regiment.

But again, it all comes back to goals, current body condition, and work outs.

I've also lost weight before while eating 1g of protein per 1lb of total body weight. But my circumstances, fat percentage, and workouts were probably different from the example you chose.
post #51 of 58 Old 09-28-2014, 07:15 PM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When we're you eating the protein? Pre or post workout? Or both. What kind of protein? What kind of workout? I do think that hard training in the body building or power lifting world does in fact require a good bit.
i was training heavy, i spread the protein out through out the day. before after and while recovering through out the day. not so sure med studies would agree with that. nutritionists also disagree. pretty sure evn the sports studies will say it doesn't matter when the protein is consumed now, pre or post.
post #52 of 58 Old 09-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:

i was training heavy, i spread the protein out through out the day. before after and while recovering through out the day. not so sure med studies would agree with that. nutritionists also disagree. pretty sure evn the sports studies will say it doesn't matter when the protein is consumed now, pre or post.
Okay.

I have a question, though. So if I sat down and age 60g of protein in one meal, vs eating that 60g of protein speed out in two to three meals throughout the 24 hour day, wouldn't that change things? I mean, I can see my body not "absorbing or using" all of that 60g if it came from one meal, but spread out, wouldn't it? Or does that not matter?
post #53 of 58 Old 09-29-2014, 03:34 PM
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
Okay. I have a question, though. So if I sat down and age 60g of protein in one meal, vs eating that 60g of protein speed out in two to three meals throughout the 24 hour day, wouldn't that change things? I mean, I can see my body not "absorbing or using" all of that 60g if it came from one meal, but spread out, wouldn't it? Or does that not matter?
Your intestines are only so large in diameter and so long in length. Therefore it doesn't matter if you pack them full of protein periodically or all at once. You're going to absorb what your body is capable of absorbing no mater what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I have to return some video tapes.
post #54 of 58 Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Your intestines are only so large in diameter and so long in length. Therefore it doesn't matter if you pack them full of protein periodically or all at once. You're going to absorb what your body is capable of absorbing no mater what.

Okay, I understand that. It's pretty simple that the body will only absorb what it is capable of absorbing.

I looked into it further and found what I was looking for, so never mind. I may not have worded what I was asking correctly.
post #55 of 58 Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 PM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

jet, imho, i think that is a little wrong. your body will only absorb what it needs. ie: for awhile it was all the rage to take mega doses of vitamin C. your body can only use so much, then it will either store it or excrete it. as i said when i was lifting heavy, i followed the 1.5 gram for lb/bodyweight and was spilling protein in my urine, a very bad thing. either i had developed kidney disease, or i was consuming too much protein AND damaging my kidneys. cut way back and stopped spilling protein in urine. my blood work also showed kidney function was off. cutting intake down didn't hurt my progress. btw, i was using designer protein as a supplement and the rest came from fish or chicken. this was 10 years ago at age 47.
post #56 of 58 Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
jet, imho, i think that is a little wrong. your body will only absorb what it needs. ie: for awhile it was all the rage to take mega doses of vitamin C. your body can only use so much, then it will either store it or excrete it. as i said when i was lifting heavy, i followed the 1.5 gram for lb/bodyweight and was spilling protein in my urine, a very bad thing. either i had developed kidney disease, or i was consuming too much protein AND damaging my kidneys. cut way back and stopped spilling protein in urine. my blood work also showed kidney function was off. cutting intake down didn't hurt my progress. btw, i was using designer protein as a supplement and the rest came from fish or chicken. this was 10 years ago at age 47.
What is a little wrong?

But yeah, it makes sense... that it can only use so much (what it needs). I thought you'd have to really be heavy on the protein for it to actually cause kidney issues. My levels are normal per the thorough exam I had to have for something about a month ago. Typically I get 100g per day, there are some higher days (my body weight is 143lb, low 20's body fat percentage, female), sometimes less. I'm not very good at eating meat (former long time vegetarian), I do usually have a shake pre/post workout. So I think I'm on target with my intake. I've experienced progress with my workouts.

I just wonder about variables sometimes, work load, muscle percentage, weight, timing, etc. I guess sometimes they don't have a major impact. So, I just ask out of curiosity or interest. I've found a system that been working for me I believe.
post #57 of 58 Old 09-29-2014, 10:42 PM
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2015 JK Wrangler 

jet, there is the old, if its not broke don't fix it. just keep in my in mind, imperceptible damage that happens at a younger age will come back to haunt you.
post #58 of 58 Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
jet, there is the old, if its not broke don't fix it. just keep in my in mind, imperceptible damage that happens at a younger age will come back to haunt you.
Yeah. I don't think any damage is being done via diet based on my doctor's appts. There's damage caused by other things, of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.